Strange Clunk... - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Strange Clunk...

Just an additional observation on the clunk - almost reminds me of the sway bar end link sound I had on previous Fords. Almost like something is loose or has some play in it.

Happens even on relatively smooth pavement while driving and is worse on a sharp turn weighting and unweighting the vehicle. Car has only 18000 miles on it. Almost sounds like something loose. Annoying as I have only had the car three days. Have the 255/45-19 tires. Kinda slappy tires but expected that. The clunk is disappointing.

Last edited by Flugplatz12; 03-19-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added to my original post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Disappointed

Boy, am I disappointed with my purchase. It was a mistake to buy this car.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Spend my 02 wisely...

Chapter: Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugplatz12 View Post
Boy, am I disappointed with my purchase. It was a mistake to buy this car.
I can understand that you're frustrated if you're having a problem with the vehicle immediately after purchase. Non-descriptive, negative statements on a Taurus fan site aren't likely to garner you many positive responses though. Frankly, it almost comes across as trolling.

Since you didn't post why you're disappointed, I can only assume that it is because of the clunking noises you posted about previously. You said the car only has 18,000 miles, so depending on the date of original purchase, you could quite likely still be covered by the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. If so, I would take it to a dealership and get it checked out. Even if it isn't, CarMax includes a 30 warranty with every purchase. Being that you bought the car less than a week ago, I'd be all over them to make it right if something is wrong.

-Jonathan

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 06:27 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
The car should still be covered under warranty. Did you take it to the dealer to see what they have to say?

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Just start with a simple front end inspection of the car. Check for play on all of the front suspension parts. Jack up one wheel at a time, and check for play in both horizontal and vertical directions. Play in the horizontal direction would indicate that there may be a bad inner/or outer tie rod, or worn control arm bushings. Play in the vertical direction would indicate that you more than likely have a bad ball joint. If you don't have any play in the wheel what so ever there are a few more things to check. If you suspect that the front sway bar links may be your problem, then disconnect them and see if the noise goes away. Try to recreate the previous circumstances that caused the noise that is bugging you. Disclaimer: Disconnecting the sway bar links does make the car more prone to roll over. However it is still safe to drive as long as you aren't driving crazy. If the noise disappeared, than you then know that that was your problem. If the noise is still present, then you are probably looking at bad sub-frame bushings. Additionally a little word of advice: Whenever you get frustrated about a car drop what you are doing, and take a break. If you can't figure something out, then hit the books or web and research. If you subsequently need help with something than just post a thread with your problem here and we would be more than happy to help you as long as you don't have a bad attitude and complain about things. The car is still new so just take it back to the dealer if you are still having problems. There is something called Lemon law that protects you from buying a piece of junk.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugplatz12 View Post
Just an additional observation on the clunk - almost reminds me of the sway bar end link sound I had on previous Fords. Almost like something is loose or has some play in it.

Happens even on relatively smooth pavement while driving and is worse on a sharp turn weighting and unweighting the vehicle. Car has only 18000 miles on it. Almost sounds like something loose. Annoying as I have only had the car three days. Have the 255/45-19 tires. Kinda slappy tires but expected that. The clunk is disappointing.
Look for the obvious. Daughter's '98 Taurus had clunk. I told her take it back. They missed it and put a new LCA on it and no change. I told her, take it back. Then they found sway bar end link. Nearly new car. New parts are not always good.

-chart-
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
The car should still be covered under warranty. Did you take it to the dealer to see what they have to say?
Been to the dealer and they don't have any idea and could not reproduce the sound. going back at tomorrow to have that looked at again, the back-up camera fixed (failed - noting works on the camera), and the seal on the transfer case replaced. Leaking and can smell it burning off under the car.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Thanks for the update! On the Gen 6 it is even more helpful to others to have resolutions than on previous Gens since there are fewer threads due to lower miles on them. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jag1959; 03-31-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

the car has been to the dealer. twice. got the "could not duplicate noise" line. they are still baffled. they did replace the leaking transfer case seal. familiar w/ the sway bar end link issue from previous fords. perhaps my third trip there in as many weeks will be the charm. it's up to the dealer to track this stuff down and fix it. if i tell them what the sound is, when it does it, what is sounds like, etc., why not logically infer probable causes and use that as the basis of an examination of the vehicle. "Hmm. sounds like it might be...." Yeesh.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Sold the Disappointment

Cash sale back to carmax from whence it came three weeks ago. Thanks for trying to help and best of luck to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page