2001 4.6L DOHC Taurus - Page 11 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Well I haven't been on here in a good minute. Little bit of news for the taurus.... I'm going turbo! I haven't decided on rear or front mount. With front there's alot less piping but also alot less room and alot more hear under the hood. With rear I don't have much room for piping and there will be alot of piping. What are you guys opinions? I am going with an air to water intercooler just because it's alot easier to deal with and I can put ice in the intercooler box to keep temps down. I don't really know what my limit is with my ax4n so I don't really know where to stop with power. Advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Spend my 02 wisely...

Assuming you're still using the stock Conti AX4N, I'd strongly reccomend that you have it rebuilt and beefed up before you even think of bolting on a turbo. Just the stock torque levels are pushing its capabilities. There's a handful of guys out there that are pretty good with the AX4N. Doug at FPS is the first person that comes to mind. Even with a beefed up tranny though, I wouldn't try to add much more than 5-6 psi. Upgrading the C/V axles is also something you're likely going to have to address sooner or later.

If you want to roll the dice with the tranny, at bare minimum I'd at least add the biggest auxiliary cooler you can find. I'd also avoid any excessive acceleration from a dead stop.

As for front vs. rear turbo placement, that depends on a few variables. The biggest one is going to be the turbo you use. If you're thinking of going for a cheap junkyard turbo setup, keep it up front. To get good results with a rear mount turbo without a ton of lag, you're going to have to run a much smaller exhaust turbine housing than you would if you ran it up front. Getting the A/R ratio correct is the biggest key to having a good performing rear turbo system. The installation will be much easier though, even with all the piping. If you are into the rear mount idea, you may want to check out STS Turbo Systems website or give them a call. They're really good at the rear mount setups and offer some fairly affordable universal kits.

The other big consideration is how you're going to tune the system. Tuning is going to be mandatory here for a few reasons, the biggest being that you're going to have to put in bigger injectors (and likely a larger fuel pump). A rear mount setup is going to be more difficult. It's not practical to mount the mass-air meter on the turbo inlet. The stock EEC-V computer and mass-air meter don't handle blow through applications well. Short of going to a stand-alone EMS, a front mount application is going to be your best bet here.

-Jonathan

Last edited by madscientist; 07-15-2014 at 05:41 PM.
post #103 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

^+1
Another solid reinforcement of our email conversation brother. Anything further you consider requires serious consideration of the limitations of even the best built AX4N.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #104 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

^^+1 Yup. I've actually tamed my mod plans for a tec to about 200-210 WHP about 240-250 crank N/A to avoid the constant fine tuning and fabricating that won't end till $10,000-$12,000 has been spent and the hours, frustration involved. Then comes the failures with the drive train.

Last edited by 249hp; 07-15-2014 at 07:07 PM.
post #105 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,haven't been on again in a little while. i know i said i was selling the car before but this time i'm very serious. As you know have read i was planning on bolting on a turbo but just in that process of waiting on the custom fab up pipes and such i have just lost interest and i'm just looking for a new project to start. Nothing much has changed about the car if anything at all. It is actually going on the lift at my job in the next couple of days to get the a/c leak fixed and replacing the power steering pump. i may paint the valve covers a wrinkle black and polish the "32 valve intech v8" emblem as well. I do have black housing headlights that are not installed that may come with the car and possible a mach 1 chin spoiler for the front bumper, other than that the car is the exact same Like i said i'm pretty serious about selling. I don't care about shipping as long as its a reasonable distance. I personally have a $$$$ number that id like to get but it is going for the best offer. worst thing i can say is no if you'd like to come and look at it then contact me. (only if you're looking to purchase the vehicle) i'm really not in the mood to joke around about this car i just have a project that id like to fund. there is 0 wrong with the vehicle i drive it a total of maybe 15miles per day, maybe. i love this car dearly and hate to see it go but its just time to open a new book. The more the buyer wants with the car the higher the price.

Thanks guys, Sheldon.
post #106 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Hey Sheldon! Please consider creating a thread in the For Sale forum:
Cars For Sale - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Car is still for sale. Been going through a tough time lately and some things are changing in my life. HATE to get rid of it but it's time for a new project and a new chapter. Fresh engine rebuild. New everything. Just got it back 8/28/2015 Friday August 2015. While car was gone through engine wise. Everything else is that same. Was building the motor for a turbo build but like I said circumstances have changed and it's just that time. No real need to sale and not going to just let it go for not and to just anyone. I love this car deeply and always will. If I get a chance I might try and do another with a 08-09 body style but who knows. You can email me at [email protected] with reasonable offers. Everything should be self explanatory. I may or may not get new springs for better ride quality not that the ones on right now are poor but that it has a very race inspired ride. Can drive this car ANYWHERES with no issues. At all. Everything works except speedo but Dakota digital makes a speedo calibration took to get the speedo operating for around 85$ I believe. Oh and lastly brand new door speakers all the way around.
post #108 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Hope that this beauty goes to someone who really cares about it, and not just someone with more dollars than sense... Has a For Sale thread been created yet?

Tyson
No matter where you go, the first person that you meet when you get there will be yourself

post #109 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:20 PM

Garage
nice. thats huge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page