Accessing Advanced Ford PIDs With a Scan Tool - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Oh, you are part of an independent shop! You got the software directly from the dealer? How?

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:23 AM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
Oh, you are part of an independent shop! You got the software directly from the dealer? How?
I started taking the dealer service tech courses when I taught high school auto, and had access to the software for the classroom. I actually purchased the software out of my own pocket for my duty in the classroom and I bought the GDS hardware as well. Unfortunately, the school district decided CTE classes are not a priority and many CTE classes were cut when the district found itself at odds with federal mandates in math and reading (which BTW CTE classes actually apply concepts in math/reading). My main trade was teaching, I am certified in both special education and general education, including CTE. The shop I am with is, to me more of a hobby, but quite lucrative financially. I use the same system I used in the classroom at the shop. Made life MUCH easier. We could do stuff most shops could not do in less time.

I spent 25 years in the classroom, retired in 08; somewhat fed up with the way the district was dealing with the sexual abuse of students by teachers (and not limited to middle school and high school age students).

BTW, on this thread, it will show up in search results in HS and MS scan tool searches, and non-members can access this. They may be unaware that what this does is on every car, and may try it on their own car that may not be a Taurus/Sable or a Ford, or may want to see if other cars have this.

I also do know that with the CAN buss system, alternator regulation is part of the ECU, rather than with an internal regulator in the alternator. ECU voltage is also shown on scan tool live feed. People also may notice a delay in the brightening of lights when they first start up the car. With this, questions might come up regarding the alternator output being slow and something why the voltage might not show a full 14.2 volts when the car is running. On the newer cars, rather than the usual 14.0-14.5 volts with engine running, it might only go up to 13.7 even at a higher rpm. From what I'm told, the regulation of the alternator by the ECU is lower because the advanced circuitry and networking won't work with varying voltages that are more than .7 volt that well. I am guessing the varying creates electrical interference and this may screw up the data sent to each module.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Is not that, they try to lower the fuel economy by lowering the alternator load (lower voltage means lower charging current and much lower mechanical resistance on the alternator pulley).
Of course, battery life will suffer, but who cares, they fulfilled the CAFE mandate!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Sam, are you still doing this mod, I haven't been around here long time, I ask because I have 1-Protege 2-626 1-Windstar 1-Taurus, Recently I won a Actron bluetooth scan tool on Facebook which was nice addition, But I recently bought a NGS Classic scan Tool from a friend the problem is that he didn't know how to use it and I have searched the net for this info and have found very little. I thought it might be easier to learn how to use yours,I have asked around to see if someone had a book or could list a few processes for ngs but haven't had any luck with that, So you still sell or maybe have info for using ngs
Thanks great info

Last edited by vtails; 12-08-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: 1st post
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
FORScan is coming out with an iPhone/Android application very soon! Keep posted! Must use WiFi ELM 327 with iPhones since apple doesn't sign the cheap bluetooth chips.

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 PM

Chapter: Southern

Great write, thanks!

Quick question, I have been reading and searching, but can't find information on how to change behaviors on the car using software, for example, if I want to keep the LED strip always on, what software should I use to control/write changes?

Also, if you are still making the ELM modified, please let me know, I want one.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:28 AM

Chapter: Northern

Is it still possible to modify this one? It doesn't have any wires inside the box!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	158713  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Chapter: Northern

I can only upload one at a time on this site?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	158721  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the initial info. I only found one useless module on my MS CAN on my 2011 Ford Taurus SHO. Actually, it seems like many modules are not responding to the scan on either the HS or MS bus.

I read in the service manual documents (which were 100% useless regarding protocols and the act of accessing data) that the IPC (instrument panel controller) acts as a gateway between the HS and MS. Does this mean I have no NEED to access the MS explicitly? Also, any ideas as to why ForScan isnt finding all my modules?

Could it be my old ELM 1.2a?

Regarding the user above who asked about modding that newer WIFI module, you could certain snip the phycial blades running from board to OBD connector and solder off them just as they were wires BUT... given the newer nature of your unit, are you sure it doesnt already support that feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page