LOVE the AWD - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
LOVE the AWD

When the wife and I went up to the RV last weekend to insure no mice (I trapped/killed 4 of the bastards) had got in and to run the genny under a load there is a small hill to climb that had stopped other people from getting in. You could see the tracks, I was too deep in thought to take a picture.

I was afraid we would end up spinning the tires to get in or would have some kind of difficulty but nope, I turned in and the car went right up as if it was on dry pavement and not 6 inches of snow and ice plus what the plow dumped.

Here is the lot, looks like no biggy I know but no front driver would have made it. I should have taken a picture of the entrance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Taurus AWD Limited in Tuxedo Black
Every available option including 20" wheels
- minus the moon roof and massage seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
LOVE the AWD

Did your traction control engage at all? Just curious.

I can make it up my dads driveway (super steep) if its just a lot of snow. The traction control switches back one wheel to the next and digs a hole down to pavement!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
Did your traction control engage at all? Just curious.

I can make it up my dads driveway (super steep) if its just a lot of snow. The traction control switches back one wheel to the next and digs a hole down to pavement!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Nope, it just went right up like it was nothing, you could pick my jaw up off the floor. Granted I didn't push it, I just drove right up like it was summer time. The entrance is rock and mud under the snow and the plow had dumped a row of snow in front. This reminded me of how my Sport Trac went through snow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

The Taurus is a big heavy car, so having the weight in addition to the AWD probably makes it a winner in that situation. Enjoy!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Devoted Member

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
That's my dream car right there... with the EcoBoost V6 engine. Just cannot afford a $420/mo payment for a while

Last edited by SoNic67; 03-10-2013 at 09:29 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Devoted Member

Great shot with the RV's! You guys have a lot more snow then we have here in Central Pennsylvania. Wife was at our camp today, no snow at all on the south side of our mountain, but still 3-4 inches on the north side.

2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/EBC Yellowstuff Pads
2013 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
The Taurus is a big heavy car, so having the weight in addition to the AWD probably makes it a winner in that situation. Enjoy!
Actually had it been front wheel drive it likely wouldn't have made it up the hill. The AWD is just that good, I agree the weight helps but compared to the Sport Trac this car is a light weight but does just as well in the traction department.

The way Ford explained it to me it's basically front wheel drive and applies power to the rear as needed. You can't tell when it chooses this, maybe they lied to me and it's always on? Not sure but it's awesome either way!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
That's my dream car right there... with the EcoBoost V6 engine. Just cannot afford a $420/mo payment for a while
I chose a shorter finance period so my payments are a bit higher than that, I wish they were $420 that would be my dream!

I wanted to go with an SHO but couldn't justify it right now, so I loaded it up with all the toys instead.

If I do go SHO I want the same wheels as I have now, they aren't available for the SHO but I would find a way to make it happen.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicPC View Post
Actually had it been front wheel drive it likely wouldn't have made it up the hill. The AWD is just that good, I agree the weight helps but compared to the Sport Trac this car is a light weight but does just as well in the traction department.

The way Ford explained it to me it's basically front wheel drive and applies power to the rear as needed. You can't tell when it chooses this, maybe they lied to me and it's always on? Not sure but it's awesome either way!
No, that's how AWD systems like that work. That's how the RealTime 4x4 on the CR-V works, at least. I think it does mean you need to have the differential serviced a little more often, though.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhpadi View Post
Great shot with the RV's! You guys have a lot more snow then we have here in Central Pennsylvania. Wife was at our camp today, no snow at all on the south side of our mountain, but still 3-4 inches on the north side.
Thanks, we love our RV, it has saved my sanity the last few years with the hours I work. So we take the rig out and I work from there when I can.

We have a spot in an RV campground at the bottom of the hill, here is a picture from a few years ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page