Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/)
-   Taurus and Sable General Discussion (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-taurus-sable-general-discussion/)
-   -   mach 1 chin spoiler (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-taurus-sable-general-discussion/175193-mach-1-chin-spoiler.html)

Flakattack2 02-18-2013 01:48 PM

mach 1 chin spoiler

ok so i have an 03 taurus se and i was wondering what yr mach 1 chin spoiler i should get. like 94-98 or 99-04.

Flakattack2 02-18-2013 05:18 PM

the mach 1 chin spoiler will be the next big purchase I make for my horse

S3CKSHUN 02-18-2013 07:28 PM

I was considering getting one for my bull, and don't let me dissuade you, but your Taurus achieves a decent fuel economy based on a few factors. One of which is aerodynamics. You have a .3 drag co-efficient on a stock Taurus. this includes gens 3 and 4. (not sure about any other generations) This is extremely efficient, your average Jet Fighter gets roughly a .35-.37. Granted they need wings to lift them, but even modern day hybrids like the Hyundai Sonata hybrid have a .25 drag coefficient. If you start adding spoilers, and I assume chin spoilers would be even worse, you can kiss that buh-bye. I know they look nice, but even if they only give me a 1% decrease in my mpgs, that will be a constant drain on something that is purely cosmetic. If you are worried about your tires griping the road you'd be better off going with a wider tire since the taurus is pretty heavy anyways and really shouldn't need whatever downforce a chin spoiler would provide. Again, feel free but this is just my .02

Flakattack2 02-18-2013 07:38 PM

honestly I never really thought that it would make much of a difference in downforce

The White Falcon 02-18-2013 07:39 PM

Yeah, it's about as necessary as the spoiler on my car. Seeing as it's front wheel drive...the spoiler is purely aesthetic. :D But I don't think the spoiler kills fuel economy.

Even six years after its discontinuation, the fourth-gen Taurus is still one of the most aerodynamic cars on the road.

Flakattack2 02-18-2013 07:44 PM

i'm goin just for looks on this car since theres not much you can do performance wise. usually I go with ALL performance and very little cosmetics wise. i'm used to a 4.6L V8 not a 3.0L V6

S3CKSHUN 02-18-2013 10:02 PM

I hear you, if i could have afforded fuel for it (and the car itself), I probably would have gone with an 04 Mercury Marauder. Or a mustang, but everyone who I've met who owns a mustang is a bro, like flat billed hat white highschool kid bro.

S3CKSHUN 02-18-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The White Falcon (Post 1736131)
Yeah, it's about as necessary as the spoiler on my car. Seeing as it's front wheel drive...the spoiler is purely aesthetic. :D But I don't think the spoiler kills fuel economy.

Even six years after its discontinuation, the fourth-gen Taurus is still one of the most aerodynamic cars on the road.

It won't kill it, but it is essentially extra drag.

Flakattack2 02-18-2013 10:18 PM

my dad owns an 04 40th anniversary GT and my bro owns a 94 30th anniversary GT. my dad has the 4.6 and my bro the 5.0 which they're both really nice. this is a different direction for me with a 4 door car and being a new Taurus owner. so I have no idea of what can possibly be done to the car. do you think a rear spoiler would cancel out the effects of the chin spoiler?

Ben 02-18-2013 10:20 PM

mach 1 chin spoiler

39 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by S3CKSHUN (Post 1736206)
I hear you, if i could have afforded fuel for it (and the car itself), I probably would have gone with an 04 Mercury Marauder. Or a mustang, but everyone who I've met who owns a mustang is a bro, like flat billed hat white highschool kid bro.

LOVE the Marauders! Cant find them up here!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App