Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Leather or Cloth? Which would you RATHER have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leather or Cloth?

9K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  jag1959 
#1 ·
NOT what you have, what you would rather have. Do you like leather or cloth seats better?

I have, and like leather seats better. To each their own!

- Sorry if you voted earlier, I forgot to make it so we can see who votes for what!

#2 ·
I like leather that's why I installed some more in my car after mine wore out. I even went to the lengths of changing out my whole interior to make the black leather match
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Family car Compact car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover Luxury vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Leather definitely. More classy, and easier to clean. Cloth seats hold you in better though. Luxury car leather is much nicer than the stuff we have too lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
Did you re-do this poll? My vote and posts are no longer here??

#8 ·
Leather...why...kids. Those of you that have children know exactly why leather.

#10 ·
But judging by those switches, belt buckles and tucked padding in the seats, that is not really what you would find today....lol.

#12 ·
The question is what would I rather have, not what the world has been duped into thinking is luxurious. :p

But if I must play by your rules and post something modern:

Cloth ftwB)

Leather. If not just for the looks, for what I like to call the "zap factor" in the winter. By that I mean when you get out of your cloth seat car in the winter and touch the door to close it and get zapped from the static electricity.

My wife.... she's a cloth person
I like the fact that my seats aren't ice cold in the winter. I rarely have an issue with static (on this car anyway, a few of my other cars were ridiculous in that regard).

#11 ·
Leather. If not just for the looks, for what I like to call the "zap factor" in the winter. By that I mean when you get out of your cloth seat car in the winter and touch the door to close it and get zapped from the static electricity.

My wife.... she's a cloth person

#26 ·
You're not from snow country, I bet. Where I grew up, we're taught to hold the metal on the door or A-pillar getting out of the car to ground ourselves. Besides, can get zapped as bad with vinyl as with cloth. Leather is like sitting on cold plywood. I'll take the cloth, thank you very much.

#14 · (Edited)
LMAO....I actually had a set of three toned crushed velour seats in my first car....76 Cutlass Supreme. Blue exterior,silver Landau top,Blue mag rims with chrome beauty rings and interior was blue,silver and gray.:lol2:

Similar to this,but not exact combo....

Yeah...I just proved my age...lol

#16 ·
I guess what it really comes down to is the type of cloth and leather. You can have a leather like the one in the King Ranch Dodge Ram trucks which is like a soft saddle leather that is supurb, or you can get a very nice cloth.......... or you can have hard as a rock leather like I had in my old Saturn wagon, or the zaptastic cloth of an old Buick that wears out if you look at it the wrong way.

The seats in my Sable are actually pretty nice. They have held up well with the 144K miles the car has, which is opposite of what I can say about the seats in my 05 Freestar Cargo, which are not holding up as well with 149K miles on it.

#17 ·
I like the idea behlinla has there!! Get me some recaro's in my sable. $3000 down the drain lol.

I agree... Some cloth can be very nice. Some leather can stink. I like my sable leather though.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
That's a tough choice. Leather is nicer in that it's easy to clean, typically doesn't stain, and can be more durable. But cloth has its merits, in that it doesn't wear out and crack like leather tends to do.

I'm looking for leather in my Sable, but I won't object to cloth.

#19 ·
For the first few years of life with kids in tow, cheapo Ford vinyl/pleather/leather in the back seats is great.

I still prefer cloth for driver/front passenger. I don't much care for back sweat and all that from the unbreathable pleather in my 2000.

That King Ranch leather from the 1st few years it was on the market was some of the nicest leather seats Ford made during that era.

#28 ·
New heated and vented seats are nice. You can install heated seats in any car!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#29 ·
I really don't care of the material used, long as it's well done. My 99' Mecury Sable wagon had leather trimmed cloth seats with inflatable drivers bolster, and was quite comfortable. My recent Pontiac GXP has heated leather pump up bolster seats, and all the same to me. Never use the heat anyway. My sister in law in San Antonio, TX recently got a new Chevy Exinox, and had to search hard to find one with cloth seats. What she wanted though, rather than jumping into leather seats baking in the hot sun.

#31 ·
Leather is the most forgiving but now that we have heated and cooled/vented it's the way to go.
Ever slide into a -35 deg unheated leather seat, ugh. That's when cloth is best.
Actually we need push button convertible seats, cloth for hot or cold days, leather for in between. Just like the one fob sets mirror / seats for each driver the covering could change also......

#32 ·
cloth for hot or cold days, leather for in between.

Yes! I definitely agree... I do love my cloth though. Very comfy...and not slippery. My lady likes cloth more too so that works out. I only would install leather if it was **pristine** 2004+ two toned graphite. I am glad the most recent Taurus to end up at my junkyard, which was a totaled 2004 Taurus SEL with 91k, had side airbags since that ruined the seats.. cause I may have taken them so they didn't go to waste. That is another reason I am glad Josh (2001 SES) took the black leather from the 05 Sable because I couldn't justify leaving it there.

CLOTH FTW!

#33 ·
Leather definitely, I really don't like the cloth seats that are used to day. Now if we were talking when my Taurus was new, then I'd say cloth all the way, aside from luxury cars, the leather used back then was terrible for the most part.

#34 ·
Both my Kids SELs have leather and they are liked because they are easy to clean. Also, if you have to haul crumb crunchers (sticky fingered kids) around it is a labor saver with cleaning. However, we all liked the cloth in our 2001 SEL and the black 2003 SEL I sold. To me they are more comfy and make the car seem quieter.

If some one takes care of their car the cloth seats are great. So many salvage Taurus are trashed inside by sloppy careless owners :angry: and if it is cloth the BO is high. A trashed car with leather still has a leather smell. Cloth absorbs a lot of gross stuff. How many fast food restaurant booths are clean!?!
After I sit in one of those I want to go home and clean the car seats and change my clothes.

Sometimes it depends on how fussy one is with perfection and cleanliness is my point I guess.

#35 ·
For me the Gen 3 leather SHO seats are the utmost in comfort and ease of cleaning, I installed seat heaters in them for winter..mmmm nice! Havent figured out how to cool them in summer yet though, I usually park in the shade, so I don't get that burning seat problem.

#36 ·
+1!

The gen 3 sho seats are the best. I got myself one and made it into a makeshift piece of furniture.

#37 ·
Don, installing a seat heater sounds excellent! (Heated seats are great up North right now. I have them in my Town and Country)

I would love to have them in my Taurus! Can I get the heater part/elements from a salvage car like another Ford or Lincoln and put them in a Leather Taurus seat?

#38 ·
Don, installing a seat heater sounds excellent! (Heated seats are great up North right now. I have them in my Town and Country)

I would love to have them in my Taurus! Can I get the heater part/elements from a salvage car like another Ford or Lincoln and put them in a Leather Taurus seat?
I really don't know, I imagine it's possible, as I don't now they are installed. I just bought a set from the internet...not too hard to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.