Thinking about buying a taurus - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
a carfax is less likely needed if your buying from a dealer but i would suggest to do it (maybe from more then one source too as one might not have it all. esp if your looking at one car and it came clean). More sources saying clean the more likely it is to be. paying 100 bucks total to find out any and all records from multiple sources is the best.

some dealers even provide it free of charge. reason for this depending where you live (i dont know about laws where you live) there can be legal side effects for not telling the truth. since asking is hearsay i'd get it written, dated and signed. That way anything happens and there is something not disclosed that they knew of(like past owner told them about a accident but never reported it and just repaired it, use your imagination ) you have a greater chance to get your money back.

The above also works with a private seller however if all car reports come clean i doubt you would need to worry... unless it was a 1 owner and you notice weird things in and/or out of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
fct
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
If you get a car in good condition, it should get you though the grad school. However, the urban and suburban fuel economy is kind of scary. I get 16mpg or so. Ok, this may not a big problem for a typical grad student who lives next to campus and doesn't have much time to do things outside of school. In grad school, there were times that I'd drive my car only once a week to the gym and to get groceries. However, for a daily driver, I'd look for something else. Perhaps a compact car, or a midsize car with a more modern drivetrain. Gen 4 Taurus has effectively the same drivetrains as the G3 which debuted in 1995. If you have to drive a lot, a compact car could work better for you. A 2006 Toyota Corolla or a Mazda3 should probably cost about the same as a Taurus in a comparable condition.

I got a low millage 99 Taurus (built in late 98) in 2005, a new set of tires, and a battery. I was also in grad school, so I didn't drive it much. Maybe, 20,000 miles in five years. For the first five years it was virtually trouble free. I only changed fluids and filters. After 2010 there were some troubles, despite the "low" millage:

steering gear
ball joints
front struts
ac
outer (or inner?) links
brakes are shot, front and rear
engine mounts
and possibly one of wheel bearings

A lot of these issues are relatively expensive to repair. When in grad school, for me it was a big issue to drop even $500 on any sort of repair work, much less the $800 which was the cost of replacing the steering gear and other parts that came out worn. However, the engine and transmission are running strong. I am slowly taking care of other things. Once this is done, I expect the car to be relatively trouble free for another five years.

Last edited by fct; 03-14-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page