Looking to Buy a 00-03 taurus... - Page 10 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Did you actually check the pad thickness for yourself? If the pads are almost worn, the brakes will work the same but if you run them all the way down to metal you will have no braking ability and will have to replace the pads and the rotors.

I checked the pad thickness, the outer pad has a bit over a 1/4inch of meat left on it, but the pads are OLD. Older than 6 years.... i remember when the previous owner (my neighbor) got them done.

Also, i just remembered, the drivers side window needs a regulator and motor, the window goes down well, but not up, you have to pull the window up, and press the button constantly, and i wobbles back and forth a tiny,tiny bit the way up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 AM
fct
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick3.0L View Post
I just got my 00' taurus ses today!

I'm gonna do a tuneup, change the front pads with just regular $20 pads( i'll change the rotors in the summer),
They'll probably stop your car fine. However, the standard recommendation I keep hearing often is to buy premium ceramic pads and average rotors. The premium brake pads that are sold by chain parts stores cost $50-70 a set, and most have good reviews. For example, Wagner Thermoquets (Advance Auto Parts) or Duralast Gold C-max (Autozone) cost about $50-55. Right now advance auto parts runs a 15% off promotion for online purchases until March 10th, and 25% off through today with SUNDAY34 code used in online cart.

Last edited by fct; 03-04-2012 at 02:38 AM.
post #93 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

I have a question about the transmission. The car only has 52k miles, and the trans shifts fine, and drives fine. Its has the original fluid,and luckily, its still red and nice.

I learned alot about the transmissions on this forum, and i told my dad every 30k the fluid and filter needs to be changed.
We argued about it because he said that on fords, if u do that the transmission, it goes out ( he experienced it once, thats why he says that.)

I want to get the trans filter and fluid changed, but my dad is being stubborn about it.

Even though i know he is wrong, i should still do the fluid and filter change, right?

post #94 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
I have a question about the transmission. The car only has 52k miles, and the trans shifts fine, and drives fine. Its has the original fluid,and luckily, its still red and nice.

I learned alot about the transmissions on this forum, and i told my dad every 30k the fluid and filter needs to be changed.
We argued about it because he said that on fords, if u do that the transmission, it goes out ( he experienced it once, thats why he says that.)

I want to get the trans filter and fluid changed, but my dad is being stubborn about it.

Even though i know he is wrong, i should still do the fluid and filter change, right?
YES change it, that's why my '00 with 206k miles still has the original trans in it.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
post #95 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:

You do well do do what the factory says.

See pic.

You can do it wrong and screw it up, like using the wrong fluid, not putting the filter in right, not filling it to spec. like overfilling and such. If you follow the schedule you never need to do anything to the tranny except change the filter and fluid in the case. NO FLUSH needed.

If you miss three changes on the tranny, you really need a flush and the filter will be starving your pump.

But do not do as I do. I changed my '01 at 111K just filter but I sucked out the fluid and replaced, repeated it next day, repeated next day, now it is really clear and red. Trans was starting to drag the 2-3 shift before, now it is crisp. Crisp if GOOD.

But I have had 7 Taurus/Sables all used and passed on to my daughters except present, and 5 Lin Cont one new 4 used all traded excpet present. Never had a trans issue except for STUPID ( Here is my sign) towed a trailer in OD on hot July day. (for a little while) cooked the TQ seal and replaced the TQ only.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 09-17-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page