What Have You Done To Your Bull Today? - Page 755 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 737Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #7541 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1959 View Post
It is... somewhat less than pleasant.
Spoken like a true northerner!
jag1959 likes this.

2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0L (Daughter #1)
2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab/Long Bed, 5.6L (Mine)
2007 Volvo V70 2.5T, turbo 2.5L (Mine)
2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5L (Daughter #2)
2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.5L (Wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7542 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
Spoken like a true northerner!
Pic of "less than pleasant", new years eve. We live down SOUTH compared to up there. My time "up there" has come and gone.
Just a bad memory.

-chart-
Attached Images

post #7543 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:33 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004
Model: Ford Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkester View Post
Had to jump start the daughters '07. We have not been above single digit temps for a week and in the negatives at night.

She went to church Sunday morning and Monday night just the slow crank.....battery is 4 years old so it may be time. I believe the alternator is working great because after about 3-4 minutes of idle I had her pull the car up to the garage so I could put the charger on the battery and the battery was at 12.7. Left it on trickle charge all night until 5am this morning and will see if the battery held the charge when she gets up (rides with a friend) around 8am.
Curious to know what happened.

The 12.7v you read after 3-4 minutes would most likely be a surface charge so not really a reading of how much capacity the battery had at that point.

If your charger only delivers a trickle voltage ie an amp or so, then overnight wouldn't return that much to the battery either.

Of course, it depends how much capacity the 4 year old battery has, but for example, my 4.3amp ctek charger says it will take 28 hours to 80% charge a 110aH battery. Most trickle chargers have fewer amps than that one.

2004 Taurus SES Duratec 107k

Upgrades: Mach RCU & Tweeters, Bluetooth, Ford Cargo Tray, LED Trunk Lighting, Headlight Relays, Adjustable Pedals
Running on: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 & Fram Pro Synthetic Filter, Valvoline MERCON V, Valvoline DOT 3&4, ZEREX G-05, Top Tier Regular Gas

post #7544 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacket View Post
Curious to know what happened.

The 12.7v you read after 3-4 minutes would most likely be a surface charge so not really a reading of how much capacity the battery had at that point.

If your charger only delivers a trickle voltage ie an amp or so, then overnight wouldn't return that much to the battery either.

Of course, it depends how much capacity the 4 year old battery has, but for example, my 4.3amp ctek charger says it will take 28 hours to 80% charge a 110aH battery. Most trickle chargers have fewer amps than that one.
Math works on new batteries. With age that is degraded much. As they age it takes more to get less, and they make more vapor and thus more corrosion. I prefer to depend on my auto charger which maxes out at 8A and tapers off till it shuts off and goes to maintain. On maintain it charges slow till it reaches preset V and quits and monitors. Cheap for me, local garage sale = $5.

But point well taken, it takes great deal of time to charge a low battery. High charge rate is not good for a battery. Slow and steady makes for a good day.

Chart of the loss of performance posted few posts back.

-chart-
post #7545 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
My '03 Wagon sits in the drive. Not started for 5 days. It is zero again and will not get out of single digits till tomorrow sometime. It's resting. It ain't rusting at this temperature either.

When I need to go, I am using the Lincoln which is in the garage and the temp says 29F. Drive it and put it back. No need for any cold I can avoid.

-chart-
post #7546 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Man the wagon was NOT happy starting today with these consistent frigid temps. It hasn't been driven since 10/31 but I start it every 2 weeks. I guess I need to charge the battery up now. I had to move it so I could shovel more and get my 2-wide driveway back. Basically, used it as a battering ram though a drift and it went right though Tomorrow I'm going to put the charger on it. I'm still debating about putting it back on the road to save a little on gas with the driving I've done for work and the projected acquisitions for this year. Still remains to be seen though.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #7547 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
I prefer to depend on my auto charger which maxes out at 8A and tapers off till it shuts off and goes to maintain. On maintain it charges slow till it reaches preset V and quits and monitors. Cheap for me, local garage sale = $5.

But point well taken, it takes great deal of time to charge a low battery. High charge rate is not good for a battery. Slow and steady makes for a good day.

Chart of the loss of performance posted few posts back.

-chart-
8A smart charger for $5. Lucky you! My ctek is just 4.3 amps and was over $60. The Solar brand Prologix ones came out soon after and are great value for money seeing they are 10A or 20A chargers with jump start ability. I would have gone with the 20A version if I hadn't got the ctek since that is better for AGM charging.

As much as smart chargers are preferable, I've had one battery on the Taurus last 6.5 years with zero maintenance and the factory battery on another car last 7 years again zero maintenance as well as less than ideal usage. Two batteries actually died after I started giving them periodic smart charging. One was on it's way out but the other went earlier than expected at 3.5 years.

The thing that the smart charger does that the alternator cannot is put in the final 20% or so that the alternator won't because of the many many hours required. Supposedly this greatly increases the life of the battery but I had one that lasted 6.5 years with no smart charging. One thing I should mention is that my lowest starting temperature is in the 30s and 99%+ of the time is mostly no lower than 50 because of the garage. So my battery can probably be more aged and still function compared to elsewhere in the country.

2004 Taurus SES Duratec 107k

Upgrades: Mach RCU & Tweeters, Bluetooth, Ford Cargo Tray, LED Trunk Lighting, Headlight Relays, Adjustable Pedals
Running on: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 & Fram Pro Synthetic Filter, Valvoline MERCON V, Valvoline DOT 3&4, ZEREX G-05, Top Tier Regular Gas

Last edited by rjacket; 01-06-2018 at 09:15 PM.
post #7548 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:14 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Tried to start my one 2001 that hasn't been started in two weeks. Just got a few clicks from the starter so I had to put the 15 amp charger on it and it showed 50% capacity. Started to charge at 12 amps but dropped to 3-4 amps after an hour but took additional five hours to fully charge. Not sure if it just the zero temperature or bad battery. Hasn't been driven for a month. I guess tomorrow if it starts, then the battery is probably ok.
post #7549 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:34 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Tried to start my one 2001 that hasn't been started in two weeks. Just got a few clicks from the starter so I had to put the 15 amp charger on it and it showed 50% capacity. Started to charge at 12 amps but dropped to 3-4 amps after an hour but took additional five hours to fully charge. Not sure if it just the zero temperature or bad battery. Hasn't been driven for a month. I guess tomorrow if it starts, then the battery is probably ok.
Same as my wagon. It's probably the lack of use and the frigid temps. My battery is only a couple months old but the car hasn't been driven in over 2 months.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #7550 of 8077 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
Same as my wagon. It's probably the lack of use and the frigid temps. My battery is only a couple months old but the car hasn't been driven in over 2 months.
I hate those battery covers because you cant see the battery that is installed. I guess I should paint stick the dates on the cover. With three Taurus you lose track of when the batteries were replaced. Not sure how old this one is, should be three to four years. My two 2001s are on end of life maintenance schedule so not looking to pop in a new battery on a normal schedule.

It is amazing that after two weeks of 10 degrees or below the car fired up in a second on first try after battery was charged. Amazing fuel injection!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page