Rudy Is At It Again..... - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog
As if I didn't already have enough work to do with the SHO build, the trans in the bruise decided to take a poop back in May, two days after the TWS run.
I found an AX4-S from a '93 SHO over on Fordbastards for the measley amount of $50.00. I took a drive up to DFW a few weeks later, picked up the trans, a gen2 CF cowl hood and 2 sets of SFCs from TexanTony and SHOMurph.
Anyway, since this thread is about the trans build let's get to it.

We've been down here dickin round with the idea of sending both units up to FPS/Doug Louis, which would be SUPER expensive!!! Steve can afford to send his, but I cannot, sooo, I saved up some $$$ and ordered a full rebuild kit, shift kit, lube dam kit, solenoids, E40D sprag, 25 spline shaft, a couple of new bands, and a steel front piston, and finally some red assembly goop. About $580.00, And you certainly can't beat free labor!!! So today, I went to Northern Tool, got me another engine stand and fabbed me up a trans fixture and got it mounted. Tonight I was able to remove the servo covers, and both pans. Thus far it looks pretty clean, there has been some water in there from sitting, but I don't know if it's from my place or the prev. owner's. I'll get some pics tomorrow if I get a chance. I'm supposed to help a neighbor friend strip a Honda Accord to make ready for scrap. Pull engine/trans/cradle/strut assembly, whop hole in gas tank, and tow away. Shouldn't be more than a few hours, so hopefully I can make progress on the trans.

Rudy Heinemann Jr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog
Ok, I'll start out today by saying that so far, it has been easy stuff. The neighbor didn't show up to strip the honduh so I'll start on it in the morning. The trans is completely torn apart. and I only had to fab one "special" tool, lol. Here are the pics.

My front clutch loading tool, "special" fabbed tool, lol. was at one point a garden rake that had the outer tynes broken off.

My other "special" tool, roll pin remover.

roll pins

I've also already found a couple of bad parts, the first was a broken accumulator spring.

The second bad part is the oil pump shaft.

Here it is all taken apart and on the engine stand.

Down inside.

And my pile of parts.
First we have one of the bands, the chain cover, the side pan, and the lower pan.

Next we have all the drum and shaft assemblies.

Rudy Heinemann Jr.

post #3 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to spridget
Ok Rudy... get really good at that so you can rebuild mine

RIP TCCA

'96 ES SHO -
-
-

post #4 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

You got it bro, I have to rebuild this one, the one for Steve's SHO, and maybe even the one thats in my car now to re-sell, so thats three.

Rudy Heinemann Jr.

post #5 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

No physical progress today, but I did get some new parts. I also ordered a clutch spring compressor, should be here tomorrow.

New oil pump shaft.

New neutral/drive accumulator springs.

I also managed to strip the neighbors Honduh today. Pulled all the front suspension components. Strut assembly, upper/lower c. arms and steering knuckles, and also pulled the steering column. Engine and transmission come out tomorrow morning and the rest of the body is off to the scrap yard.

As soon as I get the drums apart, I'll get some pics of those to see if theres any damage internally.

Thanks for reading.

Rudy Heinemann Jr.

post #6 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 PM

rudedog i like all the pictures you post. keep it up.
you could make a killing rebuilding these trannys when you get amazingly good at it.

93 Taurus GL

Now i'm up to about 63k miles.
post #7 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

I probably could, but then I'd be one of these buisness men making a profit off of a small community that I love, and that would make me a hypocrite. But, let's not start that, I said it, it's my thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

I will say though, if any of you wanna drive down here stay in a hotel for a few and "help" rebuild YOUR OWN trans, I will be more than willing to accomodate your car.

Rudy Heinemann Jr.

post #8 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I probably could, but then I'd be one of these buisness men making a profit off of a small community that I love, and that would make me a hypocrite. But, let's not start that, I said it, it's my thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

I will say though, if any of you wanna drive down here stay in a hotel for a few and "help" rebuild YOUR OWN trans, I will be more than willing to accomodate your car. [/b]
Hmmmmmm, I do have a Windstar with an AXOD-E with a hard 1-2 shift

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #9 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 AM

nice thread could you post better pictures of the jig you build to hold the trans in the engine stand

jeff

2013 SHO PP 3744 OF 7592 BUILT
203 OF 405
IN GEM GREEN METALLIC

post #10 of 369 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to 93 sable
It's a shame that a lot of these transmissions fail from such stupid problems, broken springs, stripped pumpshafts, cracked shift pistons and broken cases... If Ford just spent a few more $$ on better parts for these transmissions they would not have such a bad rep. But instead they saved $30 on parts and now pretty much everyone out there has a "taurus horror story" to tell and the junkyards are clogging up with these cars as perfectly good cars get tossed for dead transmissions.

Nice work with the rebuild so far though, I'd never have the guts to tear apart any transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page