Spring compressor for replacing front struts - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2014
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy0390 View Post
Have you looked into quick-struts? They sell fairly cheap on rockauto, and it's a way easier job.
Have heard about the quality of those struts being quite terrible, especially the Monroes.

I decided to build my own quick struts using Ford parts. I purchased new struts, strut plates, top nuts and even ordered new springs to build my own quick strut. So all of this will be assembled on a bench first where I'm not being rushed.

A little more expensive, but i'm the kind of person that likes to spend money to make my life easier. Quick-struts definitely are easier.
james27613 and kekaye56 like this.

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 02-21-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 PM

Year: 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
Have heard about the quality of those struts being quite terrible, especially the Monroes.

I decided to build my own quick struts using Ford parts. I purchased new struts, strut plates, top nuts and even ordered new springs to build my own quick strut. So all of this will be assembled on a bench first where I'm not being rushed.

A little more expensive, but i'm the kind of person that likes to spend money to make my life easier. Quick-struts definitely are easier.
What was your total cost for both?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:

If you assemble them yourself ahead of time you are going to spend he same amount of time as doing them right at the time you are replacing them. However, I think you are ending up with a better end product. I have though of building out a used knuckle with ball joints and bearings with a knuckle from the junk yard. Just pop the whole assembly in but couldn't justify the knuckle cost and they also wanted a core charge on it.
james27613 likes this.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
If you assemble them yourself ahead of time you are going to spend he same amount of time as doing them right at the time you are replacing them.
True, it is the same amount of time, but it's broken up into manageable chucks. I usually have 30 mins of free time in the evenings, so i can use that to assemble the struts in my nice warm basement. One strut tonight, the other one in a couple days or so. If i find a compressor doesn't work, or i can't get the top nuts on tight enough, i have time to order a tool or buy a part if i need.

But time on the weekends is a premium right now. Swapping out a quick strut takes no time at all, especially with air tools considering it's 30 degrees outside right now. I just wanted an all-ford quick strut.

I had a nightmare repair a few years back that changed the way I approach things these days. I just don't have time to waste, so i want to be as efficient as possible and get the car back on the road ASAP. I don't mind spending a little more money to accomplish this. It's also more of a PITA for me to take the car to the dealer and be carless for a few days....not to mention pay a ton more $$ for something i can do myself in a few hours.

Right now, just waiting for the springs to show up and I can assemble the struts one weeknight after the kiddos go to bed.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 02-21-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 PM

Year: 2004
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Red face

Quote:
I had a nightmare repair a few years back that changed the way I approach things these days. I just don't have time to waste, so i want to be as efficient as possible and get the car back on the road ASAP.
I'm going through that very same thing now with my front strut. Seems impossible to get on and is costing me time and money that I simply don't have. Will probably be forced to take it to a shop to have finished.

Shame since I just need to get the bottom of the strut in the knuckle.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terbob3 View Post
What was your total cost for both?
Shipping costs will vary so i'll leave those out.

Strut mounts $33 each from rockauto.com
Struts $96 each from rockauto.com

I applied the 5% discount code so that total was $247 before shipping.

pair of strut top nuts were $7 shipped from an Ebay vendor selling ford OE parts.

Springs were from www.getoemparts.com by searching the Ford part number i needed: $41 a spring, plus shipping and tax

So $336ish plus shipping costs (maybe $30 more).

The monroe struts came to $259 on rockauto.com with 5% discount and not including shipping. So basically another $77 or so to build my own Ford quick-strut.

I did look for used springs, but found it was actually cheaper to buy a brand new Ford spring. I'll likely pull the springs from my orginal struts and see if i can resell them.
james27613 and kekaye56 like this.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 02-22-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
I'm going through that very same thing now with my front strut. Seems impossible to get on and is costing me time and money that I simply don't have. Will probably be forced to take it to a shop to have finished.

I have seen and heard about the horrow stories with the eariler types of knuckle that pinch the strut body. Fortunately for 2013+, ford went with a new design on the taurus that uses two bolts. Much easier.
james27613 likes this.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
I have though of building out a used knuckle with ball joints and bearings with a knuckle from the junk yard. Just pop the whole assembly in but couldn't justify the knuckle cost and they also wanted a core charge on it.
Don't know what side you need, but there's a few cheap ones on EBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Fron...8/112257595834

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Passenger-F...6/112238306393

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:07 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 02
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post

Obviously you haven't read the responses to your thread or have disregarded good advise. Taurus Bull God helps those who help themselves.

Last edited by rsteve56; 02-21-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:12 AM

Year: 2004
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteve56 View Post
Obviously you haven't read the responses to your thread or have disregarded good advise.
You know what they say about assuming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page