New Monroe Front Quick Strut Problem - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2008
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
New Monroe Front Quick Strut Problem

Hi, I recently replaced the front struts on a 2008 Taurus FWD with Monroe quick struts. The left strut started making noise after a couple hundred miles. The noise is coming from the top strut bearing. I can see the upper spring coils binding and releasing when the wheels are turned. I've loosened the upper strut nuts, drove it, and retorqued, but still makes noise. I tried shooting some silicon spray into the bearing area, which seemed to help slightly. The right strut is quiet.

Am I resigned to replace it with another one? Perhaps try a different brand strut?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Right now, I'm not a fan of the Monroe quick struts, either. I replaced the rears a year ago in the Fall. They seemed fine at first...but, as soon as we started to get winter temps colder than around +15F, they they would lose their dampening action over bumps and would just clunk like they were bottoming out. Very disappointed after spending a couple hundred dollars on them. Even my originals with over 250K miles never did that.

Last edited by MERCrunner; 11-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Kyb's recommended on the forum.
kekaye56 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, KYBs aren't available as a quick strut assembly. I want to avoid the added hassle of removing the spring, purchasing a bearing and mount. I think I'll remove the Monroe strut and send it back for a refund. I'll try Autozone's Duralast brand next.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:58 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Montego

Garage
Remember, you have to replace them in pairs, so take both struts off, and return them both. At the parts counter tell them that both struts are having problems with the bearing plates. They wont let you return the strut if theres nothing wrong with them. And since you are changing manufacture of the strut, they would both need to be replaced.
kekaye56 likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Hello,
KYB does not call them quick struts.

KYB Front Left SR4283
KYB Front Right SR4282
Approximately $150 each.

Cheers!
kekaye56 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:31 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2006

I had the same problem with my 06 taurus SEL and put the same struts you did and had the same problem 6 months down the road. so what i did is put two brand new upper strut mounts on both sides and still had the same problem...so i said to myself ...I am going to replace them with the same ones that came with the car and that was motorcraft struts...and ever since I did that I have had zero problems.........go to rock auto to buy them or go tasco.com to buy 100% ford parts like i did.....also you will have to reach deep into your wallet, but it will solve problem I guarantee it. good luck
kekaye56 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:35 AM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

I installed Monroe Quick struts on my 06 500 SEL, took it in for an alignment and the tech told me they had bad bearing plates. I came back, replaced mount/bearing plates and everything worked fine. It cost me more in the long run to buy Monroe Quick struts, never again.
tido1962 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Update.

MpKramer, those kyb part numbers are for the AWD taurus. Mine is a FWD. KYB doesn't make a complete or quick strut assembly for the FWD models. I bought these Monroe struts from Rock Auto, which has a short return window, so I'll probably miss that. I bought a Unity brand quick strut from Amazon. It looked to be poor quality compared to the Monroe. I attempted to install it, but it was noticeably longer than the Monroe I had just removed. Couldn't get it back into the knuckle sleeve even after disconnecting the lower control arm bolts, so reintalled the Monroe, and will return the Unity strut.

Autozone doesn't carry any quick struts for this car. O'Reillys carrys the same Monroe quick strut that I'm having trouble with, but it's more expensive than Rock Auto, and it has to be special ordered. Same situation with NAPA.

So my choices are to buy another Monroe and hope the upper bearing mount is good, or buy a strut, spring, boot, and bearing plate, or I suppose I could just replace the bearing mount on the new Monroe with a quality bearing mount? Is that what you did, Kekaye56? If so, what bearing mounts did you use?

Since Monroe indicates that the struts are guaranteed for lifetime, I wonder if I can return them to Monroe since I'll likely miss the return window for Rock Auto?

Thanks.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:42 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Montego

Garage
If they are guaranteed for life, see if the parts warehouse you bought them from will just give you new strut bearing plates under warranty. Just an idea.

Whats wrong with the springs and boots from the old struts? Why not just buy a new KYB pair, swap on your old springs, with new bearing plates, and call it a day?

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in