Lowering springs & stock struts vs coilovers and lowering springs - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By AdmiralSparklez
  • 1 Post By sheila

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2016
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Lowering springs & stock struts vs coilovers and lowering springs

I would like to reach out to this community for advice as it has always provided wise and spot on advice in the past.

I have installed H&R springs on my 2016 SHO. I have been very happy with the ride and stance. But a noise started developing in the passenger front. Best described as a scraping sound heard mostly at lower speeds turning into and backing out of parking spaces. I took it in today for routine service and requested a diagnosis of this sound. The answer that came back was that the springs should have been installed with coilovers and not left with stock struts. The comment was made, “When it’s up on the lift you can just stand there and spin the springs.” While making a motion similar to hands closing an overhead hatch. And that coilovers would tighten the springs mounting. I said I would look into the coilovers and possibly return with my own parts for them to install. But, since the spinning of the spring(s), the noise is gone. From what I’ve read on line you can do one or the other. Coilovers or lowering springs. But both are not required. So my questions are two.

1. Are coilovers required, or advisable, with lowering springs?
2. If not, and it is still advisable, what gains can be expected?

Thank you for your input in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 SHO, K&N CAI, H&R Sport Springs, Diablo Sport 93 Oct. Tune, DriveBright.com Switchback DRL’s, Lamin-X Headlight Tint, Roof Spoiler, JLT Oil Catch Can.

Last edited by JRV1631; 09-27-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling error……twice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
I've never heard of lowering springs being combined with coilovers and I would say that's an extremely unsafe thing to do. Coilovers are a replacement to your shocks and struts and basically the shock twists into itself to lower the height or raise the height without changing the spring compression or length.

I have been running coilovers on mine since the beginning of this year and I believe I was the first non SHO body to confirm "SHO only" coilovers work on them regardless. I love them and couldn't be happier. They'll absolutely be something done to my Mustang down the road when it's shocks need to be replaced.
I noticed that not only does the car sit nice and level like it should, but it rides much more stable and other than the light steering the Taurus has, it handles better at higher speeds. I love the adjustments to the dampening as well and when I plan on racing completely legally in Mexico, I tighten it up all the way so it doesn't drag as much.

Check out my garage here on the forum and you'll see the ride height (hopefully I have some decent pictures in there). I'd say the fenders are half an inch or a little more above the tire but I'd have to check. It's absolutely perfect height and looks aggressive on the car, but it isn't slammed or cambered out at all which is fantastic. It's got that slanted mopar stance and it's mean as hell. But one thing you'll notice is once in a blue moon you'll scrape the resonator unless you remove it. That's why Ford, from the factory, created the Taurus with such a monster truck height.
JRV1631 likes this.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
May pm member bpd1151.
JRV1631 likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2016
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
I've never heard of lowering springs being combined with coilovers and I would say that's an extremely unsafe thing to do. Coilovers are a replacement to your shocks and struts and basically the shock twists into itself to lower the height or raise the height without changing the spring compression or length.

I have been running coilovers on mine since the beginning of this year and I believe I was the first non SHO body to confirm "SHO only" coilovers work on them regardless. I love them and couldn't be happier. They'll absolutely be something done to my Mustang down the road when it's shocks need to be replaced.
I noticed that not only does the car sit nice and level like it should, but it rides much more stable and other than the light steering the Taurus has, it handles better at higher speeds. I love the adjustments to the dampening as well and when I plan on racing completely legally in Mexico, I tighten it up all the way so it doesn't drag as much.

Check out my garage here on the forum and you'll see the ride height (hopefully I have some decent pictures in there). I'd say the fenders are half an inch or a little more above the tire but I'd have to check. It's absolutely perfect height and looks aggressive on the car, but it isn't slammed or cambered out at all which is fantastic. It's got that slanted mopar stance and it's mean as hell. But one thing you'll notice is once in a blue moon you'll scrape the resonator unless you remove it. That's why Ford, from the factory, created the Taurus with such a monster truck height.
I checked out your photos. No doubt she's a beauty! I'd say the ride height is very close. But I have no adjustability. I know what you mean about occasionally scraping the resonator. There's one doctor's office we go to where I have to park in the Arby's next door. That one is too steep! I think as long as it stays quite I'll leave it be. Everything I read says either or. Nobody talks about combined. The closest I came was upgrading to a performance strut at the same time. But not one that was a coilover configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.png
Views:	244
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	206359  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 SHO, K&N CAI, H&R Sport Springs, Diablo Sport 93 Oct. Tune, DriveBright.com Switchback DRL’s, Lamin-X Headlight Tint, Roof Spoiler, JLT Oil Catch Can.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:53 PM

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

The MR-CDK-FT10-EZII EZII is on sale HERE. I called to verify the correct item is being offered since the accompanying picture is of an axle-back muffler system. It is the correct item, picture was wrong. Ended up selling to me for $635 shipped.

If the only issue is scraping the resonator I am good to go. Replaced the fat OEM resonator with a smaller diameter one last year.

EDIT/UPDATE: THMotorsports turned out to be a little fishy. Their website claims to have "Live In-Stock Inventory" updated every minute and shows these coilovers in stock. After calling in my order and being told they were in stock, I followed up and was informed my payment was refunded because they were out of stock and would not be available until May, 2019. Of course they misspelled my email address so I never received any order confirmation or refund notice. On the second call they informed me they corrected the email address and I would receive all the relevant correspondence.....and I get nothing. I order a considerable amount of products from the Internet and this is by far the most amateur outfit I have ever dealt with. I am willing to spend more money to deal with a professional organization. I did receive the refund, so there is that. Now to find a reputable vendor.

I did leave a less than stellar feedback on the product page but they screen all product reviews so it is unlikely anything but positive reviews ever make it to the webpage.

Last edited by Myetball; 03-19-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page