LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2016
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
2016 Limited Brake Upgrade

I have a 2016 Limited and would like information on upgrading the brakes. The brakes on this vehicle are atrocious, I feel as though i need to throw out an anchor to stop. I have 12,000 miles since May 2017 and they have not improved. I had the dealer check them and was informed that they meet specifications.

I would like opinions on viable upgrades. I have looked at the Powerstop Z23 front and rear upgrade K5584. Some of the vendors on the Powerstop website claim they will fit some claim they will not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Get a second answer on this, because my SEL's brakes were on a nice tight trigger. There was no anchor feeling to speak of.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:52 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

I second that. The brakes on my '14 Limited are pretty damn good. Usually in a panic stop situation I find myself looking in the rear-view and easing off the brakes to avoid getting rear-ended.

I have the Calipers to do the 14" brake upgrade up front...but honestly don't know if i'll even go through with it because my brakes work so well as-is.

OP, with your brakes not working so well, I'd investigate some sort of mechanical issue. I wouldn't trust the dealer to be honest. My previous car was an Infiniti I purchases new, and the brakes started to suck around 30K miles. I brought it in and they said "everything normal". So I took it upon myself to investigate and found one of the my rear calipers had seized slide pins causing only one side of the rotor to make contact with the pad. I replaced that caliper myself, and the brakes were MUCh better.

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Trader Score: 1 reviews
My 13's brakes work great. I did install z23 pads all the way around a year or so ago. They were fine, even with the old pads.

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:25 AM
Midwest Chapter Mod

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bpd1151 Send a message via Skype™ to bpd1151
If money's no issue, you could go full stupid like I did, and get the massive big brake upgrade from Wilwood.

4 Piston calipers, and 15" rotors and titanium heat shields at each corner.

Stops this big 'ol pig of car on a dime, each time, every time.

Contact Mr. Todd Cook, owner of TCE Performance located in AZ.
UKfordguy and RLW001xxx like this.

World's Highest AWHP SHO (Aug. 2014- June 2016), & World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO to date! Details Here:

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013

Garage
I agree with bpd, if money isn't a problem for you then go Wilwood. However, I'm also working on a brake project and here's what I'm about to do:

- K5584 Powerstop Rotors (I can confirm these will fit your SEL)
- Carbon Ceramic Pads
- Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Powerstop Calipers (The red "performance" versions are just a paint difference, I'm serious)
- VHT Grey and Gold Brake Caliper Paint and Clear Coat (Going for a graphite gold color on the calipers)

I admit the braking is a little unnerving at times, however it works for me until I'm at a meet racing.

You can upgrade to the SHO brakes which are just a slightly larger brake rotor size, however I don't believe it's just a swap of the rotors. You might have to switch out the front and rear steering knuckles to accommodate the larger brake rotors (I can't confirm this but I assume this would be required)

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input.

I have had the brakes checked by a reputable independent brake shop and was informed that the brakes are working properly and meet specifications.

I have contacted Powerstop, no offense AdmiralSparklez, I wanted additional verification prior to purchase.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 02:21 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
Thank you for the input.

I have had the brakes checked by a reputable independent brake shop and was informed that the brakes are working properly and meet specifications.

I have contacted Powerstop, no offense AdmiralSparklez, I wanted additional verification prior to purchase.

That's no problem! Hopefully everything works out in the end.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:30 AM

Chapter: Southeast
Engine: OTHER

Any update?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

I continued my research on Powerstop brakes, my observation is that the risk vs. reward is not that promising. People have reported that the calipers warp, others have reported that there was not a vast improvement. Other reports indicated that it was a great investment to the stopping of their vehicle. Without the capability of comparison testing I concluded that the potential upgrade may not exist. I plan to investigate other options, perhaps different brake pad compositions.

I have owned numerous vehicles in my life and find the Taurus to be one of the best, not including the stopping power. The interior is of high quality, plenty of room, trunk space is massive and fuel economy is excellent. I average 23 - 25 combined driving and 32 on a recent trip, all highway and 4 MPH above speed limit to avoid a ticket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page