2016 Limited Brake Upgrade - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Unread 05-25-2018, 05:50 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
Unknown. It would require some research. Being the vehicle is an entirely different platform, highly unlikely due to geometry changes in the relationship between booster location, pedal geometry and the entire brake system sizing.

Your best bet is to look at other vehicles using the same platform as the Taurus. Explorer, Flex, MKT, etc. However, after briefly looking through some parts setups, they are really all the same with both the normal and heavy duty brakes using the same MC/Booster after 2013.

I don't see this being possible on the Taurus unfortunately.

The idealist in me wants this to be possible... I wonder if there's a way to increase the brake booster's pressure or something? The one that's already installed in our Taurus's?

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Unread 05-25-2018, 06:10 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

2016 Limited Brake Upgrade

Only two ways to do that.

Larger diameter compatible booster.

Hydroboost conversion.

The parts just don't exist from a factory standpoint. It's a project even I wouldn't want to do. I'd just do a Taurus SHO brake swap and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 05-25-2018 at 06:12 PM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Unread 05-25-2018, 11:38 PM

Garage
Quote:

Hydroboost conversion.

The parts just don't exist from a factory standpoint. It's a project even I wouldn't want to do. I'd just do a Taurus SHO brake swap and call it a day

Well...let's hope Ford discontinuing our cars didn't screw up the aftermarket support,

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Unread 05-26-2018, 08:35 AM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Wait, we have aftermarket support now? </s>
AdmiralSparklez and Dougboffl like this.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Unread 06-05-2018, 10:44 AM

Garage
Quote:

Hydroboost conversion.

I just had something come to mind. I think a lot of issues with the Taurus is pedal response and I researched how to adjust that in any car. Tons of things came up with twisting or adjusting the brake booster pushrod length, therefore engaging the brakes much earlier when pushing the brake pedal.

Would you happen to know if this is something that can be done on the Taurus?

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Unread 06-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
I just had something come to mind. I think a lot of issues with the Taurus is pedal response and I researched how to adjust that in any car. Tons of things came up with twisting or adjusting the brake booster pushrod length, therefore engaging the brakes much earlier when pushing the brake pedal.

Would you happen to know if this is something that can be done on the Taurus?
Pretty much all vacuum boosters have this adjustment. If you remove the MC off the booster, there's a rod that can be threaded in and out. Typically it's set so that the rod just barely touches the back of the MC piston when the brake pedal is not pressed, and when you press the pedal, it immediately contacts and pushes the piston.

Typically the only time you adjust this is when you have replaced either the MC or the booster as the booster rod length needs to be adjusted due to production variances. You'd measure the depth of the MC bore from the mounting face, and adjust the rod to that length.

If the rod is too long, it will prematurely press on the MC piston and cause the brakes to lightly drag. If it's too short, you end up with a dead spot where the pedal does nothing until you press it far enough to contact the MC piston. Once it's set...it's set. Nothing to adjust after really.

If you search, there are videos showing how to adjust and even a tool.

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Unread 06-06-2018, 08:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Pretty much all vacuum boosters have this adjustment. If you remove the MC off the booster, there's a rod that can be threaded in and out. Typically it's set so that the rod just barely touches the back of the MC piston when the brake pedal is not pressed, and when you press the pedal, it immediately contacts and pushes the piston.

Typically the only time you adjust this is when you have replaced either the MC or the booster as the booster rod length needs to be adjusted due to production variances. You'd measure the depth of the MC bore from the mounting face, and adjust the rod to that length.

If the rod is too long, it will prematurely press on the MC piston and cause the brakes to lightly drag. If it's too short, you end up with a dead spot where the pedal does nothing until you press it far enough to contact the MC piston. Once it's set...it's set. Nothing to adjust after really.

If you search, there are videos showing how to adjust and even a tool.

Oh sweet! I was expecting some type of response having to do with our vehicle using some state of the art electronic module that no other car ever uses and we can't adjust anything, haha.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Unread 06-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
Oh sweet! I was expecting some type of response having to do with our vehicle using some state of the art electronic module that no other car ever uses and we can't adjust anything, haha.
Disclaimer though is I haven't done this on a Taurus yet, so unsure of any specific differences related to this vehicle. I really haven't had to touch my brakes. Even though mine eats rear brakes for some reason, I just bleed my brakes every year and i'm genuinely impressed at how well a car this big can stop.
AdmiralSparklez likes this.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Unread 01-23-2019, 08:38 AM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2015

Garage
This may sound odd - But I recently changed the brakes on my 2015 SEL and I accidentally put the front hardware springs in the wrong fitting holes (I can't remember which one was correct, I believe it was the "top" hole). When I went to test drive/break in, the pedal travel was incredible each time I tried to come to a stop. I had to pump the brakes twice to get any bite on them. The hardware spring was pushing the brakes too far apart from the rotor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakes.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	207491  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Unread 05-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Year: 2010

Garage
i have the z23 upgraded brakes and the drilled and slotted rotors and i love them as they are a bit noisy due to being drilled and slotted but the stopping distance is amazing i am more than likely to buy them again ...be careful changing your rears the parking brake damages easily then you will need new rear calipers for it to work again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in