2016 Limited Brake Upgrade - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:08 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2014
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
I continued my research on Powerstop brakes, my observation is that the risk vs. reward is not that promising. People have reported that the calipers warp, others have reported that there was not a vast improvement. Other reports indicated that it was a great investment to the stopping of their vehicle. Without the capability of comparison testing I concluded that the potential upgrade may not exist. I plan to investigate other options, perhaps different brake pad compositions.

I have owned numerous vehicles in my life and find the Taurus to be one of the best, not including the stopping power. The interior is of high quality, plenty of room, trunk space is massive and fuel economy is excellent. I average 23 - 25 combined driving and 32 on a recent trip, all highway and 4 MPH above speed limit to avoid a ticket.

Are you sure there isn't a mechanical issue contributing? Perhaps brake fluid should be flushed or there's an issue with a caliper?

My '14 has the same brake system as you and I'm overly impressed with the performance of the system. Whenever I brake hard, my eyes are glued to the rear view as I've had to let off to avoid getting rear ended. I also have a mustang with a performance brake system and the Taurus really impresses me for being 1500 lb more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kekaye56 likes this.

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 01:38 AM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I continued my research on Powerstop brakes, my observation is that the risk vs. reward is not that promising. People have reported that the calipers warp, others have reported that there was not a vast improvement. Other reports indicated that it was a great investment to the stopping of their vehicle. Without the capability of comparison testing I concluded that the potential upgrade may not exist. I plan to investigate other options, perhaps different brake pad compositions.

I have owned numerous vehicles in my life and find the Taurus to be one of the best, not including the stopping power. The interior is of high quality, plenty of room, trunk space is massive and fuel economy is excellent. I average 23 - 25 combined driving and 32 on a recent trip, all highway and 4 MPH above speed limit to avoid a ticket.
I have a 2013, and the brakes for that size of car are pretty damn adequate. I threw carbon ceramic pads on mine when the original pads died. They aren't supercar standard, but your car weighs like 2.5 tons.
If your brakes are ****, you have a different problem.

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2016
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

I do not anticipate nor expect that a vehicle weighing 4,317 lbs to have braking capacity of a Ford GT or a Corvette, I believe that a reasonable and valid expectation above 'pretty damn adequate' should not be out of the norm for a vehicle at this price point.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013

Garage
Personally, I love my new brakes. Pads, rotors, calipers, and steel lines. It's not a night and day difference, however I do have a more firm brake pedal and a very noticeable decrease in required distance to come to a stop. I'm still adjusting to how much I need to press the pedal because I'm so used to the old brakes.

At the end of the day, I'm sure we're all aware we simply won't achieve the same braking power as a Gallardo or a 488, or even a Genesis Coupe. The calipers being 2 and 1 piston simply aren't enough for anything past street use to handle the weight of this car. I can testify my current new brakes are great in drag racing, but I wouldn't feel they are enough for a track. If you want a serious upgrade, Wilwood is the only company I know of that has a kit for our cars at the incredibly *attractive* price of around $2,500.

I've come to terms with the aftermarket support for our cars and how limited it unfortunately is. Most think of a Mustang, an Evo, a 350z, or even something like an S55 before a Taurus. I really do hope the day arrives soon where the market expands much more in terms of upgrades and parts for the underrated car this is. But with the cancellation of the Taurus yet again (and every...other...sedan...), that day may be far from this point.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I do not anticipate nor expect that a vehicle weighing 4,317 lbs to have braking capacity of a Ford GT or a Corvette, I believe that a reasonable and valid expectation above 'pretty damn adequate' should not be out of the norm for a vehicle at this price point.
Frankly I'm beginning to think that our cars' (not just the Bulls, I have this issue with all the cars I've had) brakes are calibrated to a stereotypical "American Driver". Maybe I'm just skewed by driving cars in Europe all the time, but let me tell you, our brakes compared to those over there are unbelievably s****. The Modeo, 5er or E-class is not much lighter than the Taurus but those things there brake with some serious bite. Every time I go there I have to adjust because if I was using the brakes the same way I do here, the rear passengers would be on the dash at every intersection. I had to make some panic stops in my Taurus few times, and the car does stop but far from confidently, and yet according to every mechanic: "yup, all works fine". Sigh.
AdmiralSparklez likes this.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundun View Post
Frankly I'm beginning to think that our cars' (not just the Bulls, I have this issue with all the cars I've had) brakes are calibrated to a stereotypical "American Driver". Maybe I'm just skewed by driving cars in Europe all the time, but let me tell you, our brakes compared to those over there are unbelievably s****. The Modeo, 5er or E-class is not much lighter than the Taurus but those things there brake with some serious bite. Every time I go there I have to adjust because if I was using the brakes the same way I do here, the rear passengers would be on the dash at every intersection. I had to make some panic stops in my Taurus few times, and the car does stop but far from confidently, and yet according to every mechanic: "yup, all works fine". Sigh.

Oh Lord, don't say that. The dark figure in me is awakening and is about to figure out how to do a brake swap from a Euro Ford to the Taurus and I don't need another project right now.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2015

Garage
I disagree entirely.
Ford brakes are some of the best on any passenger car, and always have been.
My '15 Toro has 48k miles now and the brakes remain great.
Try driving a Corolla once and then you'll know what crappy brakes feel like.

2015 Taurus Limited
bronze fire metallica
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
Oh Lord, don't say that. The dark figure in me is awakening and is about to figure out how to do a brake swap from a Euro Ford to the Taurus and I don't need another project right now.
No need to change the brakes. A lot of that pedal feel and responsiveness is due to the master cylinder/booster relationship. Smaller bore MC's coupled with larger boosters tend to give you that shorter stroke with much more response that you tend to find on many german vehicles.

When I was swapping brake systems onto my Mustang, I did test out a few different size bore MC's to try and dial in the brakes to be closer in feel to the above. Of course, the major difference is with the Mustang, there are 6 different master cylinders diameters to work with, 3 different boosters plus hydroboost that will bolt in and work so you have options. Not so much with the Taurus.

I believe the 2013 MC was an upgrade in itself over the 2010-2012 owners can do on their cars if they wanted. Something about the knee-point curve on the rear brakes brought the pressure up on the rears giving more brake response . However, the assumed downside is more rear pad wear, as I can attest to by needing my 3rd set of pads/rotors out back while still on my 2nd up front.

I actually like my Taurus brakes a lot. Quite responsive and powerful and I always find myself overbraking in a panic stop and having to let off to give the guy behind me some room to avoid hitting me. I'm quite confident with them and drive that car like I would with my Mustang.

I'd still like to do the 14" upgrade...but I think i'm due an SHO in a year or less so no point now.
AdmiralSparklez likes this.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 05-24-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
No need to change the brakes. A lot of that pedal feel and responsiveness is due to the master cylinder/booster relationship. Smaller bore MC's coupled with larger boosters tend to give you that shorter stroke with much more response that you tend to find on many german vehicles.

When I was swapping brake systems onto my Mustang, I did test out a few different size bore MC's to try and dial in the brakes to be closer in feel to the above. Of course, the major difference is with the Mustang, there are 6 different master cylinders diameters to work with, 3 different boosters plus hydroboost that will bolt in and work so you have options. Not so much with the Taurus.

I believe the 2013 MC was an upgrade in itself over the 2010-2012 owners can do on their cars if they wanted. Something about the knee-point curve on the rear brakes brought the pressure up on the rears giving more brake response . However, the assumed downside is more rear pad wear, as I can attest to by needing my 3rd set of pads/rotors out back while still on my 2nd up front.

I actually like my Taurus brakes a lot. Quite responsive and powerful and I always find myself overbraking in a panic stop and having to let off to give the guy behind me some room to avoid hitting me. I'm quite confident with them and drive that car like I would with my Mustang.

I'd still like to do the 14" upgrade...but I think i'm due an SHO in a year or less so no point now.

I'm not vastly knowledgeable with more advanced brake parts, but I'm now wondering if it's possible to switch the master cylinder or booster out from the Taurus to one like the Mondeo.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
I'm not vastly knowledgeable with more advanced brake parts, but I'm now wondering if it's possible to switch the master cylinder or booster out from the Taurus to one like the Mondeo.
Unknown. It would require some research. Being the vehicle is an entirely different platform, highly unlikely due to geometry changes in the relationship between booster location, pedal geometry and the entire brake system sizing.

Your best bet is to look at other vehicles using the same platform as the Taurus. Explorer, Flex, MKT, etc. However, after briefly looking through some parts setups, they are really all the same with both the normal and heavy duty brakes using the same MC/Booster after 2013.

I don't see this being possible on the Taurus unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page