Got new tires installed now have clunking noise - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2014
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Got new tires installed now have clunking noise

I took my 2014 Limited (82k) in to get new tires installed at a local Fleet Farm. Everything was fine when I took it in and had no issues or prior repairs. As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot, I hear a clunking sound when turning. I ended up stopping and when I turn the steering wheel back and forth you can hear a distinct clunking noise from the right front. I took it back and the first mechanic said it sounded like a rack issue, but getting it p on the hoist,, the noise was no longer present. Lowered it back down with weight on the wheels and the clunking returned.

They said that sometimes struts can be on the verge of going out and lifting the car taking the weight off of them cause them to finally go. I find this hard to believe its a strut as it happens when stopped and just moving wheels left and right.. aren't the struts a part of the shock system and not steering components?

Was there something they could have done (lifting it incorrectly for example) that could have broke something?

Thanks for the input and advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

I assume they checked to be sure the lug nuts were properly torqued?

A strut failing from lifting the car is a load of BS.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm assuming they did, I mean they didn't check that when I took it back, only looked underneath. I'm afraid I'm going to be screwed unless I can somehow prove something they did caused it. At this point I really have no idea whats wrong, but the noise is prevalent while stopped, just moving the steering wheel back and forth. Am I correct in thinking that while stopped the struts don't even come into play when turning the steering wheel left and right?

I have no idea what to make of this and think I'm going to be screwed no matter what as unfortunately I dropped nearly a grand on tires and have no funding available right now to even take it to a dealer, but I'm thinking I should and then maybe plead my case with the place..

Thoughts?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 06:13 AM

You could have a bad strut bearing which can make lots of noise while stopped and turning the wheel. Pretty common for strut mounts to go bad after about 60,000 miles. I've been able to temporarily shut a few up over the years with spray lube but they do need to be replaced eventually. I would also check the power steering fluid level.

Last edited by fishx65; 10-23-2017 at 06:16 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Fishx65, I would suppose parts do go bad, but it didn't do this before I took it in. I guess I will have to suck it up and save to pay for whatever is wrong. Appreciate the responses..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 AM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus SHO

Garage
I would get a 2nd opinion from the dealership (just to quote and diagnose) I do tis all the time. Then if they say what the tyre shop is telling you is BS I'd go back with the quote in hand and say it's your issue as my car was fine before that. I think it's worth a try!

Good luck

2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package: Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers: De-baged. SCT X4 93 Canned Tune,( 3bar map sensor, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs to be installed), smoke tint headlights
Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
- 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 5sp RWD - restored
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM

Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
I had the exact same issue on my Bull when having the tires changed out. Ended up being a strut tower nut not being seated correctly and it was loose. This caused clunking from that strut under load, but didn't make the sound on the hoist. Have them undo the top strut bolts from the strut tower and retorque them to spec, hopefully this will take care of the issue.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 06:17 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

I have the exact same problem! Several shops tell me nothing is wrong but they check with it racked up... on the ground, I get the same clunking from RF when moving the steering wheel side to side. Would I be able to just loosen and re-torque the strut tower nuts or does it have to be raised off the ground?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 06:48 PM

By the way, my problem started right after new tires plus alignment. Is there something about alignments that may cause this??
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 03:26 PM

Please let me know if you guys think an alignment could cause these problems? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page