H&R Springs Installed = Service Traction Control? - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2016
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
H&R's vindicated!

Monday's appointment resulted in the warranty rocker panel being replaced. But as soon as I told them it threw the code once on Tuesday, the day after it was lowered, and twice on Wednesday. But nothing since then. They were only too happy to stamp that issue "NPF"! No Problem Found. To the point made earlier by bpd1151 if I ever get so much as nosebleed going forward, in their opinion, it'll be because I lowered it.

The H&R's provide the stance, handling performance and characteristics that I was looking for. To me the stock set up handles as a luxury vehicle that can go straight pretty quickly. I wanted a performance sedan ride that has some luxury features. Now with some minor motor mods I know I can do more than just go in a straight line. Long highway rides are a joy with a very positive, confident ride. I'll continue with the FORScan but do not expect anything more to report. Thank you for the support and input. Very much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1767.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	193849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	193857  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

So this recently began reoccurring. But now I had the capability to pull it into the garage, leave it running, and hook up FORscan. Itís code C0051 Steering Wheel Position Sensor. Additional Fault Symptom: - Signal Plausibility Failure.
So that I know what Iím talking about, or hopefully will at least sound like it, when I go back to the dealer who installed my springs I have a question. I had to go back to them multiple times after the install and alignment because the steering wheel would be canted one way and then the other when driving straight. Is this a code related to this issue? They finally got it pretty straight and Iíve attributed any minor canít to road crowning. I can also go weeks even a month or more without it throwing this code. I had 15K service performed today, oil, filter and rotation. On the way home the code popped up again.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
Need to pull for codes before we can go much further... I'm betting there's some kind of signal plausibility code getting set.
thefranchise713 - you were correct all along. As I now have FORScan capability I was able connect when the light was on. Itís code C0051 Steering Wheel Position Sensor. Additional Fault Symptom: - Signal Plausibility Failure. Do you know how I may fix it so it doesnít throw it again?

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Beyond my mechanical knowledge.

I'd also have the battery checked--low voltage does strange things. Maybe a cell is going bad. If not, I've seen a couple of steering gears need replacement at low mileage--but I have no idea if that's truly what's going on here.

Guessing you have a warranty though -- time to call that out and head to the dealer and let them fight it out. Make sure to file the appointment for service with the code indicated so if the issue results in a complete failure out of warranty, you can argue pretty easily that the issue occurred while the warranty was active.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
Beyond my mechanical knowledge.

I'd also have the battery checked--low voltage does strange things. Maybe a cell is going bad. If not, I've seen a couple of steering gears need replacement at low mileage--but I have no idea if that's truly what's going on here.

Guessing you have a warranty though -- time to call that out and head to the dealer and let them fight it out. Make sure to file the appointment for service with the code indicated so if the issue results in a complete failure out of warranty, you can argue pretty easily that the issue occurred while the warranty was active.
I understand. As clearly itís beyond mine as well.

My only apprehension about the dealer is that since I paid them to install the springs they can always, as they are now, say thatís the cause and itís my fault. Therefore outside of warranty. Iíll poke around a little more and see what I can learn. Thank you for all of your help! If I come upon a clear resolution Iíll post for others down the road.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

I don't have a copy of the Taurus workshop manual, but my conversation would go something like this after they refused warranty service:

"My car is throwing a C0051 -- Steering Angle Position Sensor, Signal Plausibility issue, what's the code setting criteria?"

I'm sure you'll find that the code setting criteria has NOTHING to do with the springs that were installed.

I tried to find the same code in my Explorer manual from MY2017 but I'm not seeing it in there unless I looked on the wrong module page.
JRV1631 likes this.

thefranchise713

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Owner of #RaceSable

Year: 2002
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like the steering wheel position sensor wasn't reset after the alignment was done.
JRV1631 likes this.

Mark
2002 Sable LS Premium (Allison) COTM Winner 6/14
2006 Taurus SE (My grandmother's)(I'm the caretaker for it)
2001 Sable LS (Ashley) (Gone but not forgotten)
Real Car Guys Like Every Car
Northeast Chapter Mod

Northeast Members Please Post Your Info and Your Location. Links Below:

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyRacer78 View Post
Sounds like the steering wheel position sensor wasn't reset after the alignment was done.
After reading your comment it made complete sense that it was a standard procedure in a service I've already paid for. I broke down and paid the less than $20 @ justanswer.com. I was replied to by a Ford Technician. Some of his spellings lead me to believe he is in the UK. That makes no difference. Just an observation. But he agreed and the response is below.

" Fitting springs will have no effect on the steering angle sensor at all . However the wheel alignment they carried out after will effect the steering angle sensor . It alighnment was out and steering wheel was off centre it will cause the code you are receiving . In most cases the alighnment need to be set true and the steering angle sensor recalibrate with dealer tool to cure the issue"

Armed with this info I called the dealer. We discussed the code and the suspected cause. They were in agreement that it sounded feasible and perhaps they should have recalibrated the sensor. I have an appointment this Wednesday. I am cautiously optimistic that this will be the end. With so many applications with these springs, and no problems, it has to be.

Last edited by JRV1631; 03-13-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

As noted by thefranchise713 the criteria for setting code C0051 has nothing to do with the springs. Furthermore all of that criteria was found to be within spec. And all of the alignment criteria was within spec. They were willing to recalibrate the sensor but since it is throwing the code @ random when all is within spec, the decision was made to just replace the sensor. It is on order and should arrive in 4 or 5 days. At that point we will schedule an appointment and have the new sensor installed. And the best part? Since lowering with the H&R springs played NO PART the entire repair is UNDER WARRANTY!

I cannot thank everyone enough for their assistance and input. Knowledge is power. It was a far different appointment today. No more discussion of, ďWell itís because you lowered itĒ Thank you!
thefranchise713 likes this.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 10:36 AM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

This thread demonstrates the true value we can all get from these forums by participating in sharing info and asking questions.

Few of us individually know enough about the complex systems in these cars but as a group, we are very knowledgeable.

It keeps the dealers and shops honest when you can challenge them with solid information and facts.
UKfordguy and JRV1631 like this.

2014 3.5 SEL AWD in Tuxedo Black Metallic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page