Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Problem with handling !

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  behlinla 
#1 ·
I have a problem that is driving me to selling my 09 Taurus, the best way i can explain it is, my car wobbles around all the time on the highway like when you follow close behind a truck. I have new tires, the alignment and shocks were checked ot, all being ok. I drive almost an hour to and from work every day and it almost makes me sea sick from all the weird motions.

#4 ·
Either that, or get closer to get inside the airflow and draft like the stock car racers do. I wouldn't do it myself....:eek:

#6 ·
You didn't mention if the tires were balanced, see to that. Also, even new tires off the rack can be bad, slipped steel belts can cause that motion. A worn steering rack and/or loose tie rods could cause the wandering, although mine were pretty bad and I didn't get that motion. It even sounds as if your wheels could be loose.

#8 · (Edited)
Any luck solving this?

I am having a similar issue... I am thinking it may be to do with the tires since I only noticed it after rotating the tires (the ones that were on the back are on the front now).

Like you describe it almost feels like the wind is pushing the car from side to side slightly like when you pass a semi... but it happens when there is no wind at all. I only started to notice it after rotating the tires... I had the wheels retorqued just in case they were loose but it is still doing it.

Could it be something with the balance (I don't feel anything weird in the steering wheel).

I am thinking of just replacing all the tires since these Michelin Pilots seem like crap, but they still have lots of tread and new ones on 18 inch wheels are $$$$$.

#9 ·
Like you describe it almost feels like the wind is pushing the car from side to side slightly like when you pass a semi... but it happens when there is no wind at all. I only started to notice it after rotating the tires... I had the wheels retorqued just in case they were loose but it is still doing it.
Maybe I should have included the picture before:

A Kármán vortex street is created by the truck moving through the air. It does not require any wind. In fact, it would probably be more noticeable without wind pushing the eddies off the path of the road behind the truck.

If your alignment if off (particularly toe) or your tires are cupped or feathered, you might notice steering effects more because these deficiencies decrease the inherent stability (or resistance to outside force) of the steering system. Changes in the road surface can even cause them if the toe is way off. Have your tires inspected for abnormal wear and check the alignment.

#10 ·
Let me a bit clearer...

The feeling feels LIKE the feeling you get when passing a truck...

BUT there are no trucks nearby. Maybe not for 100 miles. I was just using it as a basic example of the feeling that I am getting.

The alignment should be ok as it was done about two months ago and the spec sheet looks fine.

BUT, there is an issue of tire wear... The car was having a problem pulling, and the dealer figured it was a defective tire and replaced one of the front tires... but then as spring came around I noticed that the car was pulling slightly towards the side with the old tire, which is worn down more than the one that was replaced... So I rotated the tires to get the rear ones (which are both even) on the front and the worn/new one on the back... That is when I started to notice this odd wobbling on the highway...

I think I will ditch these POS tires soon anyway... nothing but headaches. Anyone have good tire suggestions for the 235/55R/18 size?

#11 ·
Ah, I see. I'm still thinking it's uneven tires or an alignment problem. When you replace all the tires you should get a 4-wheel alignment to make sure everything is good.

What are you looking for in your tires? All season? Comfort or performance biased? Rain, snow, ice traction? (You're in CAN so you have to have winter tires right?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.