Factory audio amplifier - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Factory audio amplifier

Has anyone changed the factory amp? I know Rockford Fosgate makes a direct replacement that utilizes the factory speaker inputs. the stereo just isn't as loud as I want it to be. Also has anyone replaced the factory subwoofers in the car and did it make a big difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:27 PM

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

What system do you have? I started with the factory Sony system. The real problem is the speakers. Over time I have replaced them all. Replaced the A-pillar tweeters, front door speakers, and the rear deck subs with Rockford Fosgate. Replaced the center front/rear speakers with Kickers, and the rear doors with Kickers with satellite tweeters (did require drilling holes in rear door cards). Sound is quite good and more than enough volume. If you still have the factory speakers, a better sub may make more noise but it is still pushing crap OEM speakers.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:35 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Agree w/Myetball. I have the SONY factory system and few years ago replaced all my speakers with direct replacement Alpine Type-Rs (still have the factory tweeters in A-pillars) and also Dynomat-ed the crap out of the cabin. While the sound is admittedly not amazing, it is also in the order of magnitude better. I can now raise the volume to ~1/4 scale, the sound be much louder and still very clear. 1/4 may not sound like much but past that the rest of the set up shows its severe limitations and SQ falls off very rapidly (for reference I like EDM-type music, with a lot of low-end beat and my bass set to almost max). I like loudness but not at the expense of fidelity. At 1/4 it is pretty loud while still being crystal clear, pretty tight and w/zero cabin rattles (ok sometimes, but just sometimes the damn front door switches will make a peep). On top of this, a better amp could help although I fear driving the new amp with still speaker-level inputs will simply exacerbate the problem.

Having looked at those OEM SONY-branded paper 10W speakers if you simply replace the amp and crank things up you'll probably rip the cones out of their frames in short order.

As for replacing only the rear woofers, that is likely not to make any considerable difference. The crap door speakers still get the full-range signal (in stereo mode, maybe in surround mode the DSP splits the frequencies but it also makes the rest of the sound absolutely horrible so that's pointless) and raising the low frequency in the EQ will effectively raise it for all speakers equally.

So before wasting time and money on putting in a new amp, I'd suggest replacing all the door/shelf speakers first. The OEMs are really bad. It'll be a bit more expensive (I paid ~$400 for all 6 required) but may actually give you the results you're after. Otherwise, yea, you'll simply make more noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page