Battery drain caused by DVD Rear Entertainment System - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Itry

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Battery drain caused by DVD Rear Entertainment System

The lights on the DVD Rear Entertainment Center in my 2009 Taurus X Limited won't turn off. Saw the lights on in the car one night after it had been parked for several hours. Tried to start the car and the battery was dead. Did some trouble shooting and isolated the problem to the rear entertainment system. I disconnected the system and all battery drain issues have gone away. Verified by hooking up a meter and watching for drain as well as the fact that we've been driving the car for about 4 months with it disconnected and haven't had any issues. Recently reactivated XM radio and found I can't get any sound without the rear entertainment system hooked up. So I need to find a better fix than just leaving it disconnected and having an ugly bracket exposed in the headliner.

It's powered from the F3 fuse in the SJB(smart junction box) and looking at a wiring diagram it looks like that fuse is always hot and not connected in anyway to the accessory delay relay.
The fuse also powers the SDARS module(satellite digital receiver system) and the APIM (accessory protocol interface module)

Is it possible that the entertainment system has it own delay mechanism and if so how does it know when to turn off it always has power supplied to it. Am I missing something in the SJB.

Any Ideas? Do I just need to find a new system? Which will be a chore since Ford no longer seems to stock it and ones I found on e-bay have different model numbers. Mine is 9G1T-10E947-AC31TB. The 10E947 seems to be the only part of the number in common. Do the other characters signify different functionality?

2001 Taurus Wagon
2009 Taurus X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon

Update

So, I was really surprised no one had any suggestions but I figured I'd post an update just in case anyone else ever has a problem like this. It turns out the DVD entertainment system does in fact always have power to it and it turns itself off after the car is shut down. My units problem was the back lights that illuminate when the car lights are on wouldn't turn off. I purchased another unit off of ebay that differed only by the first digit of part number. A 8 vs a 9. It looked like it had been dragged through the mud before being sent, but it worked well enough for the trouble shooting. The DVD player on the new unit wouldn't read any discs, probably cause it had dirt on the lens, so I opened up my original unit to see If I could swap out the good mother board and other boards from the new unit into mine. I noticed a burned area on one of the boards at a connector (see attached pic). I cleaned it up with a bit of alcohol and It's been working perfectly for about 2 weeks now. My best guess is that a bug committed suicide over those pins and shorted them out causing the lights to stay on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126_LI.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	208205  
sheila and Jeff K like this.

2001 Taurus Wagon
2009 Taurus X
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:57 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus

Good troubleshooting!

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page