LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2016
Model: Ford Taurus Police Interceptor
Engine: 3.7L Cyclone V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
radio upgrade

Has anyone had any experience with this radio? It is the only option that I can personally find for a 2016 ford police/taurus.

https://radio-upgrade.com/products/f...14222046429227

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Nathan

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Nathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford taurus radio upgrade.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	206999  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:23 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
I've never had experience with this particular item, however I have heard of them. I'm only concerned about it's reliability.

In fact, this is stirring my brain into wondering how this unit installs into the Taurus. I'm wondering if it has a wiring harness adapter that would potentially be used with the actual SYNC3 and SYNC2 unit as an upgrade from the 4" screen.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:49 AM

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2012
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate12387 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this radio? It is the only option that I can personally find for a 2016 ford police/taurus.

https://radio-upgrade.com/products/f...14222046429227

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Nathan

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Nathan
Greetings, Nathan!
Yep, a friend of mine used the same system in his Taurus. Connected active mirrors and rear camera to it. As I understood, all worked well. He gave me his old system (2013) and I'm thinking if it will fit my Taurus 2012.

Is it a straightforward process to replace the system, I mean just to disassemble old one, plug new one and connect wires?
Now I have this type https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/att...207041&thumb=1
and the donor https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/att...207039&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	U.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	207039   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	207041  

--

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2002
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
I've never had experience with this particular item, however I have heard of them. I'm only concerned about it's reliability.

In fact, this is stirring my brain into wondering how this unit installs into the Taurus. I'm wondering if it has a wiring harness adapter that would potentially be used with the actual SYNC3 and SYNC2 unit as an upgrade from the 4" screen.

It sounds like a standalone replacement--meaning the nav and audio features work, but will not communicate with Sync or the other control modules in the car. You'd be surprised how many seemingly unrelated modules your audio system interfaces with on modern Fords. I'm pretty sure no aftermarket devices talk on the ACP/SCP/MS-CAN bus at all, unless they've hacked the protocol. Part of the problem is the hardware addressing scheme they use. Each device is hard-coded with an address, and the main controller of the bus network (generally the IPC or APIM) is programmed to know and look for those addresses. On some systems, the IPC is actually the gateway device that relays commands and data from the main HS-CAN buses (the main communication channel that the ECU, BCU, and other OBDII protocol devices use) to the secondary MS-CAN or I-CAN bus that the infotainment modules sit on. I.E. replacing the ICP with an aftermarket would effectively cut those off from the rest of the car's systems. I'd have to look it up on the '16 Taurus, I'm not overly familiar with how they've set that one up, or even if the police package is different than standard.

May not cause any problems at all, but it's something to think about. If certain things don't work after the swap, that would probably be why.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 PM

This thread got me curious, so I looked it up.
The terminology is a bit different in this vehicle. The IPC is the instrument cluster here (in the older Taurus the "IPC" was the audio controls).
You'll have the FCIM or FCDIM (front controls/display interface), depending which system it is (base/premium/Sony). The FCDIM interfaces to the front/rear cameras if you have them.
The ACM powers the speakers, talks to the power antenna, DSP (if Sony system), GPS module, radio, and the one-touch start module.
The APIM in this vehicle is that gateway device I mentioned. It connects the HS-CAN, MS-CAN, and I-CAN networks. This varies depending on Sync version, but it talks to the ACM, sat radio, mic, aux input, bluetooth/phone control, parking aid camera, USB input. This is the module that hosts the Sync software.

Ok, lots of information nobody asked for. But, it looks like you can replace the FCIM without much issue if you leave the ACM and APIM intact. I'd be curious how the harness on that replacement unit is wired and what it bypasses. And whether it powers the speakers or leaves the ACM to still do it (and if so, how does it signal the APIM what's going on).

On a side note, I can get harness pin outs if anyone needs.

Last edited by jasen; 12-18-2018 at 06:39 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexeiIvanov View Post
Greetings, Nathan!
Yep, a friend of mine used the same system in his Taurus. Connected active mirrors and rear camera to it. As I understood, all worked well. He gave me his old system (2013) and I'm thinking if it will fit my Taurus 2012.

Is it a straightforward process to replace the system, I mean just to disassemble old one, plug new one and connect wires?
Now I have this type https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/att...207041&thumb=1
and the donor https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/att...207039&thumb=1

Probably not, at least not easily. The harness for the FCDIM looks to be different on that 2013 Sync model than the 2012. The '13 had a base Sync, and Sync Gen 2 and Gen 3. The '12 had the options no-sync, Sync, and Sync w/ nav. If your car doesn't have Sync, I don't think it will have an APIM. If it does have Sync, it may be a different version.
Even if the worst case is true, it could still be made to work, although it would be painful to find the right matching modules and running new wiring for them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasen View Post
This thread got me curious, so I looked it up.
The terminology is a bit different in this vehicle. The IPC is the instrument cluster here (in the older Taurus the "IPC" was the audio controls).
You'll have the FCIM or FCDIM (front controls/display interface), depending which system it is (base/premium/Sony). The FCDIM interfaces to the front/rear cameras if you have them.
The ACM powers the speakers, talks to the power antenna, DSP (if Sony system), GPS module, radio, and the one-touch start module.
The APIM in this vehicle is that gateway device I mentioned. It connects the HS-CAN, MS-CAN, and I-CAN networks. This varies depending on Sync version, but it talks to the ACM, sat radio, mic, aux input, bluetooth/phone control, parking aid camera, USB input. This is the module that hosts the Sync software.

Ok, lots of information nobody asked for. But, it looks like you can replace the FCIM without much issue if you leave the ACM and APIM intact. I'd be curious how the harness on that replacement unit is wired and what it bypasses. And whether it powers the speakers or leaves the ACM to still do it (and if so, how does it signal the APIM what's going on).

On a side note, I can get harness pin outs if anyone needs.
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info. sorry it's taking me so long to respond. My car is a 2016 police interceptor and was manufactured without the APIM installed. The ACM is there. It is the 4" screen without Bluetooth, aux ports, USB or any other port for a phone or there external devices. That is actually one reason why I looking at getting this.

Thanks,

Nathan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2011
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Any status on this? I have a 2010 SE with no Sync, bluetooth or anything. It is pricey, but I would like to add bluetooth to my Taurus and this looks like an option.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulky View Post
Any status on this? I have a 2010 SE with no Sync, bluetooth or anything. It is pricey, but I would like to add bluetooth to my Taurus and this looks like an option.
Metra actually makes fit kits for the 2010 ford taurus. If I had a 2010 that is the way I would go. It wouldn't be as plug and play as this one is but you would probably get a better radio and nav system out of it.

Nathan Martin

Last edited by nate12387; 01-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2011
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Sure, I'm checking it out on Crutchfield, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page