Ford SYNC2 to SYNC3 Upgrade - Page 9 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
On #4--you have to "learn" the security module box thing to the car. It essentially teaches the car to treat it as an RKE fob. Repeat that instruction in the Remote Access Install guide, it feels like it may have gotten skipped. Just a guess, don't sue me if the advice fails!

AdmiralSparklez likes this.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2014
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
On #4--you have to "learn" the security module box thing to the car. It essentially teaches the car to treat it as an RKE fob. Repeat that instruction in the Remote Access Install guide, it feels like it may have gotten skipped. Just a guess, don't sue me if the advice fails!

I had the Remote access installed by the dealer originally. It's been installed for about 2 years. Do you happen to have the steps to "learn" it? I don't have any install instructions since they did it.
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy46 View Post
Ok my upgrade update. I found a Sync 3 module out of a 2018 Ford Flex With nav (part number JA8T-14G370-ACE for reference) for 125 bucks. I got all of the parts in today and put it in. Everything went smooth. I used the VIN from the wrecked flex and added it to my ford account and downloaded the latest official Sync 3 release and used it to update it. Worked just fine. I then googled around until I found a 2017 Taurus SHO with my exact option set and used that VIN to get the as-built data and loaded that into the APIM. Came out exactly how I needed and I didn't have to manually change anything to get my features to work (that I've found yet).

Couple of notes:
1. If you have a heated steering wheel, then that "hole" behind the passenger airbag cover that is shown to put the GPS antenna in has a module in the way blocking that hole. You can take the 3 screws out move it, or if you hands are small enough you can just reach up through the glove box and get that cubby hole for the GPS antenna.

2. Some of the APIM data in the sheet doesn't match what i have. In the slot where a few of them are I have an number/letter that isn't even listed in the sheet as a possibility. Is that normal?

3. The nav change that you listed a few posts above didn't do anything for me. It was already listed as 8 in ForScan and it didn't give me those other options that you show. I have a 2014 for reference so it's a slightly different cluster.

4. I did check the remote access. It works 90% of the way. The remote start works perfectly fine (which is the most important part to me). The lock/unlock half works. When i hit lock on the app, it sends the signal, the car receives it, the lights flash, and the security system arms. The only that doesn't happen is the physical door lock doesn't change. So it stays physically unlocked even though the car is going through the motions like it's locked. Same for unlocking the car through the app. Any ideas on what might cause that? I rarely use that feature, but would be nice to have it fixed.

5. Everytime I start my car i get a "navigation fault". It pops up an error on the map, but then about 30 seconds later the map loads. It wouldn't be that bad except it actually pops up a window that i have to hit OK on every time. Any ideas here?
I'm responding to my own post because I made a couple of findings today. #5 was a bad GPS antenna. I tried a new one and now I don't have any problems. So if anyone gets that error, that's the first thing to try. While solving that, I found a great location for the antenna. under the little panel on the top of the dash with the center speaker. If you order the exact antenna that is listed in this guide, it fits perfectly. Just take the antenna out of the box, don't even take the twist tie off. You can plug it in,set the antenna right next to that speaker with some double sided tape, then route the cable down the right hand side. The circle of cable fits neatly on top/behind the APIM unit. Super simple, no wire routing and great vertical view position with only that plastic speaker grate between it and the sky. The cover goes back on without making any contact with the antenna (you can press down on that corner and there is still flex over there)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2042.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	207503  

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Quote:
I'm responding to my own post because I made a couple of findings today. #5 was a bad GPS antenna. I tried a new one and now I don't have any problems. So if anyone gets that error, that's the first thing to try. While solving that, I found a great location for the antenna. under the little panel on the top of the dash with the center speaker. If you order the exact antenna that is listed in this guide, it fits perfectly. Just take the antenna out of the box, don't even take the twist tie off. You can plug it in,set the antenna right next to that speaker with some double sided tape, then route the cable down the right hand side. The circle of cable fits neatly on top/behind the APIM unit. Super simple, no wire routing and great vertical view position with only that plastic speaker grate between it and the sky. The cover goes back on without making any contact with the antenna (you can press down on that corner and there is still flex over there)

Glad you found the issue to #5.

as far as #2, the spreadsheet doesn't have absolutely everything in regards to data. There's an unspeakable amount of things to screw with and I only put in the most useful things I have found so far into the spreadsheet. There's tons of things that just aren't necessary to have in the spreadsheet. Hopefully that answers the question?

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
Glad you found the issue to #5.

as far as #2, the spreadsheet doesn't have absolutely everything in regards to data. There's an unspeakable amount of things to screw with and I only put in the most useful things I have found so far into the spreadsheet. There's tons of things that just aren't necessary to have in the spreadsheet. Hopefully that answers the question?
Thanks. I think it kind of does. When looking at the spreadsheet, I see the matching module address, but when i look at the digit that I'm supposed to modify the as-built data for my car doesn't match what the spreadsheet has as options. So for instance the spread sheet might say that options are A F Q R and mine has a 3 in that slot. I just was trying to make sure I wasn't reading something wrong there. (sorry, i don't have a specific example, I'll try to get one tonight).
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. I think it kind of does. When looking at the spreadsheet, I see the matching module address, but when i look at the digit that I'm supposed to modify the as-built data for my car doesn't match what the spreadsheet has as options. So for instance the spread sheet might say that options are A F Q R and mine has a 3 in that slot. I just was trying to make sure I wasn't reading something wrong there. (sorry, i don't have a specific example, I'll try to get one tonight).

Gotcha. Yeah, still potentially something I may have found to not be useful to have in the spreadsheet but that's something I'll definitely look into..

Oh and as far as the Navigation in the IPC, it might not be working because your car is a 2014. We have found recently in this thread that unfortunately the 2013 (my car) gauge cluster is different than pretty much every model year after 2013 for whatever messed up reason Ford came up with.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick update for the tutorial soon. It has come to my attention that the wiring adapter list indicating which wiring adapter each vehicle needs is slightly incorrect. I copied and pasted it from 4D when the thread was written and I guess they had it incorrect. It now displays a full chart which is much easier to understand. Soon, the thread will get that update for the list so I apologize if anyone may have ordered the wrong adapter!

post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:11 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Care to enlighten us....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
Unfortunately, FORScan is primitive technology against my application I use primarily. It doesn't display, nor translate nearly the amount of information as my primary choice of software. What I have discovered lately is that the APIM holds much more data related to other parts of the vehicle rather than just simply how many station presets it can show and if you have heated or cooled seats.

As per a previous post of mine, I cannot confirm the reasons as to what the APIM has to do with any of that information. My assumption is it acts as a bridge of communication to relay information to the rest of the vehicle, or it holds said data to correspond vehicle updates and security features. I believe it is the latter. FORScan unfortunately does not have the ability to interpret what modules act as gateways for one another or what networks relay specific blocks between each other. It simply provides manipulable data in the form of Hexadecimal for all responsive modules within a vehicle. I'm extremely curious as to where FORScan would translate how, where, and why the APIM is a gateway because to my knowledge it can't do that. I can also say the exact same goes for my own application. It simply translates bit values, but substantially more in depth than FORScan. This data also being found in the BCM and PCM is absolutely correct. However, if the APIM is a "gateway", I by all means should not have any capacity to alter fuel type, transmission properties, parking brakes, and other entities through the APIM. However, I do pertain aptness of such and that is why I've concluded the APIM physically holds data related to the mechanics of the vehicle.

For quick reiteration, FORScan and my own application do not have the ability to represent a module as a gateway into another module. There's no cogent reason for that. They lucidly present translated data within a singular module.

We are always open to education and growing our base of knowledge as I'm sure we can all agree upon. I'm typically very responsive and more than willing to provide as much knowledge as asked. If you have any other questions regarding this topic, you're more than welcome to send me a PM.

Care to enlighten us as to the application "you commonly use?"

UCDS can update firmware compared to ForScan, but unless you have a full CANBUS emulator there is no way to determine what every possible field in the ladder logic is for.

Ford does distinguish some parts are diesel vs petrol but that doesn't mean the module holds fuel info. It's just a build parts list.

If the APIM holds fuel info what logic field is it in?
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlman View Post
Care to enlighten us as to the application "you commonly use?"

UCDS can update firmware compared to ForScan, but unless you have a full CANBUS emulator there is no way to determine what every possible field in the ladder logic is for.

Ford does distinguish some parts are diesel vs petrol but that doesn't mean the module holds fuel info. It's just a build parts list.

If the APIM holds fuel info what logic field is it in?

Absolutely. It holds the same overall functions as UCDS and FORScan combined into one program with less bloat and a cleaner interface.

As far as the logic field, I couldn't tell you. FORScan and UCDS can't decode that. Once again, I have no answers as to why the APIM holds information that you would also find in the PCM or BCM, but it's there. I believe it holds it either as some type of relay or for something related to Ford's old maintenance checker which isn't supported anymore within SYNC. I'm sorry, but I don't have a lot of information as to why that information is present in the APIM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page