Ford SYNC2 to SYNC3 Upgrade - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
The average price I've seen is around $220. I have seen a fair amount in the $150 price point!
So far, I haven't seen any that low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 AM

Garage
Ok, I found a unit from a 2017 Ford Edge with NAV. From what I've read elsewhere, the VIN needs to be updated on the unit to my VIN. How is that done?
post #23 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_SHO View Post
Ok, I found a unit from a 2017 Ford Edge with NAV. From what I've read elsewhere, the VIN needs to be updated on the unit to my VIN. How is that done?

That won't be required. My unit is from a different vehicle, of course, and did not require to be VIN matched. As long as you have the required parts listed in the tutorial, you're golden!

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes

post #24 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
That won't be required. My unit is from a different vehicle, of course, and did not require to be VIN matched. As long as you have the required parts listed in the tutorial, you're golden!
I ordered everything else yesterday, except the wiring harness for the usb. They are out of stock until next week.
One last question. In order to do a maps update once the unit is in, do I simply supply the VIN that is shown on the new display and download to a usb stick?
post #25 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I ordered everything else yesterday, except the wiring harness for the usb. They are out of stock until next week.
One last question. In order to do a maps update once the unit is in, do I simply supply the VIN that is shown on the new display and download to a usb stick?

As far as updating the unit itself, the tutorial has all the info required. But updating the maps I'm not exactly sure. I actually never looked into that.
Where did you find a place to update the maps?

And yes, I would assume it's the VIN the APIM is programmed to. Do not use your vehicle VIN because if you're getting this update from Ford, you'll be denied since our VINs are too 'old' to have SYNC3.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #26 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Where did you find a place to update the maps?
I found this on the Ford Escape forum:

The Sync 3 Navigation upgrade is now available for the 2016 and 17. The part number is live, and the update is on USB from Ford.

Part Number is VJJ5Z19H449A SYNC 3 USB W/ License file NA1.16 1

You must have:
Vehicle VIN
SYNC ECU Serial Number (ESN) found at the bottom of the General Settings. It is an 8 alphanumeric number. If it looks like it starts with a W, that actually is V V.
Must have software version 2.0 or higher installed If not, then Sync 3 will require additional updates before the software can be installed.
Must also have Nav 1.14 or 1.15. Those are current versions on 2016-17.
Install is estimated at 70 minutes.

Price is $150 + tax.

If you have problems ordering the update through your dealer, you might call
Griffin Ford
511 W. Seventh St

Tifton, GA 31794
(229)382-1303
Ask for Trevor in Parts. He said he would order and ship to you. He will need your VIN and ESN numbers.
post #27 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I found this on the Ford Escape forum:

The Sync 3 Navigation upgrade is now available for the 2016 and 17. The part number is live, and the update is on USB from Ford.

Part Number is VJJ5Z19H449A SYNC 3 USB W/ License file NA1.16 1

You must have:
Vehicle VIN
SYNC ECU Serial Number (ESN) found at the bottom of the General Settings. It is an 8 alphanumeric number. If it looks like it starts with a W, that actually is V V.
Must have software version 2.0 or higher installed If not, then Sync 3 will require additional updates before the software can be installed.
Must also have Nav 1.14 or 1.15. Those are current versions on 2016-17.
Install is estimated at 70 minutes.

Price is $150 + tax.

If you have problems ordering the update through your dealer, you might call
Griffin Ford
511 W. Seventh St

Tifton, GA 31794
(229)382-1303
Ask for Trevor in Parts. He said he would order and ship to you. He will need your VIN and ESN numbers.

Gotcha. Well I may do that at some point. Good work! I wonder if they'll get scared and not ship the USB if I or someone mentions the SYNC3 unit was swapped in place of a SYNC2 unit.

post #28 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Gotcha. Well I may do that at some point. Good work! I wonder if they'll get scared and not ship the USB if I or someone mentions the SYNC3 unit was swapped in place of a SYNC2 unit.
Once I get the 2017 Edge APIM I ordered, I'll see how hold the maps are. I may forego the map upgrade, since I can use WAZE and maps on my iphone, connected through the carplay.
post #29 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Once I get the 2017 Edge APIM I ordered, I'll see how hold the maps are. I may forego the map upgrade, since I can use WAZE and maps on my iphone, connected through the carplay.
Well, I'm back to looking for a SYNC 3 touchscreen and APIM with navigation. The yard that I was buying it from called back and said the unit was gone from the car they were parting. So much for that...

If anyone that reads this has a SYNC 3 touchscreen and APIM with navigation, or knows of one, that is reasonably priced, please reach out to me.

Thanks!
post #30 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Well, I'm back to looking for a SYNC 3 touchscreen and APIM with navigation. The yard that I was buying it from called back and said the unit was gone from the car they were parting. So much for that...

If anyone that reads this has a SYNC 3 touchscreen and APIM with navigation, or knows of one, that is reasonably priced, please reach out to me.

Thanks!

Well that's a shame :/ You're using car-part to search?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page