Ford SYNC2 to SYNC3 Upgrade - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:14 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2016
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Not that anyone really cares but...

...I installed the 'direct from Ford' SYNC3 v3.0 over the weekend. I still don't see much (if any) improvement in Alexa. When porting music from the web-via-Alexa-cellular-network-via-Samsung J3 smart-ish phone-to-Alexa-to-Taurus/Sony it still drops the data stream/connection. A lot of data hand offs happening in there. There are specific places on my commute when the music stops (screen displays as if it was frozen, not paused) resuming a few minutes later from wherever in the song it was stuck. Other times in the same area, Alexa drops the song and the entire play instruction, reverting to her normal 'listening for wake word' status. I ask her to resume and she tells me she has nothing to resume. And often, if I wake word her when in these dead zones I hear, "I'm having trouble understanding right now..." (loss of internet). These are city areas (Daytona Beach) where I don't expect bad cellular service but the buildings are not so big as to block signal. It makes me think perhaps these businesses have strong WiFi and perhaps the J3 cellphone is attempting to switch to WiFi and Alexa gets perturbed at the unsteady data stream. I need to experiment by switching off the cellular WiFi and she if she maintains the flow better. I think the performance of the Samsung J3 may also be sketchy (weak) since they are budget smartphones.

I'm thinking Alexa also needs a larger data buffer bank to be able to skip over these dead spots or WiFi vs. cellular data interruptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Chapter: Midwest

Can you swap out the new Ce̩nter media console with the first generation console?
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2058 View Post
Can you swap out the new Ce̩nter media console with the first generation console?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. Could you elaborate?

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes

post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:33 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2011

Garage
AdmiralSparklez or anyone else reading,

Maybe this is a dummy question, but I have the Sony audio package in my Taurus. Will I need a different APIM unit for this to continue to work properly?

Part-time tinkerer. Always looking for more knowledge.
Garage:
11 Ford Taurus Limited AWD - sold at 67k for a profit
11 Hyundai Sonata GLS - wife's
07 Mercury Milan Premier - sold to dad around 166k
01 Ford CVPI - owned for 5 months, sold still running
04 Hyundai Santa Fe - "Rusty" my new beater for a while
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

^ Shouldn't have to worry about a Sony vs Non Sony APIM.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
An APIM is an APIM so this will work totally fine. Even if you didn't have the Sony package, this swap would still work perfect! Just remember, there's always some programming to the as-built of the APIM required.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:42 PM

Garage
I have a 2013 Taurus SHO with the MyTouch system. From what I'm reading, I have to change the APIM, among other things. Can I reuse the same touch screen, or do I have to find a newer touch screen?
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_SHO View Post
I have a 2013 Taurus SHO with the MyTouch system. From what I'm reading, I have to change the APIM, among other things. Can I reuse the same touch screen, or do I have to find a newer touch screen?

The screen itself you will need as well. Typically the SYNC3 APIM is sold as a whole unit with it's touchscreen and connector cable for the screen to the APIM. You cannot use the old screen since the new one is a capacitive screen, much better than the SYNC2 screen.

post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
The screen itself you will need as well. Typically the SYNC3 APIM is sold as a whole unit with it's touchscreen and connector cable for the screen to the APIM. You cannot use the old screen since the new one is a capacitive screen, much better than the SYNC2 screen.
Thanks. Now, all I need to do is find a screen and APIM at a reasonable price...
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_SHO View Post
Thanks. Now, all I need to do is find a screen and APIM at a reasonable price...

The average price I've seen is around $220. I have seen a fair amount in the $150 price point!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page