LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2014
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
HID headlights

Projectors (halogen of hid) are not all the same.For the most part, most OEMs use subcontractors for their projectors with some making their own. I believe Fords use Valeo and Hella. They simply design the headlight around the subcomponent. Acura probably has some of the best hid projectors out there

But, there is a lot of variation between the different HID projectors themselves, let alone the differences between Halogen projectors and HID. There are variations in color, cutoff and other characteristics of the projectors that result in noticeable differences to HID enthusiasts.

Take a stroll over to HIDplanet.com and you'll meet a bunch of guys who take HIDs very seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-14-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2011

Garage
Well, I went with the OSRAM nightbreakers H3's. I have to say, I'm less than impressed. While they a a little brighter than the others, they are still not the white light I am looking for. I guess the blue lamps will be next.

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life. - Charles Darwin
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:17 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
Well, I went with the OSRAM nightbreakers H3's. I have to say, I'm less than impressed. While they a a little brighter than the others, they are still not the white light I am looking for. I guess the blue lamps will be next.
If you *are* going to get HIDs, go with a Morimoto kit. 5500K 55W is a beautiful, bright pure white light. I had a bulb fail so I called them, and they had 2 brand new matching bulbs shipped out that day and here within 4 business days.

Current: 2013 Ford Taurus SEL
Past:
2001 Lincoln Continental, still running, 190k+
1997 Cadillac Deville, still running, 180k+

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:23 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Quote:
A blue lamp will give you less usable light, not more.

If you're still engaged in doing this the legal way, you can attempt to run a relay direct from the battery to the bulbs themselves, rendering the OEM headlight connection as essentially a trigger wire. @chartmaker has a diagram that he uses on his own bulls, and I believe Diode Dynamics sells a relay intended for HID ballasts, but the connections are the same for a pure halogen setup.

It's stupid and you shouldn't have to do it, but the thin gauge of the wires from factory really starves the halogens of the proper power (at the trade of extending the life of the bulb.)

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I will try that next I guess. According to the Ford schematic, the headlamps run seperate fuses and already have relays in them. I install relays all day and shouldn't be a problem to upgrade the wire size

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life. - Charles Darwin
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM

Year: 2014

HID headlights

There are SHO housings on eBay. Slightly damaged, but I would imagine the projectors are intact.

In a technical sense, a HID projector in the oem housing running a correct d3S light would be legal. Nothing in the federal regs says the wiring and ballasts need to be oem. Just the bulb type and projector needs to be what was originally spec'ed.

Only technically Is a hid projector swapped housing wouldn't be dot approved...maybe.

I'm a stickler for legal HID swaps, but that would walk a very fine line and be functionally "right"

Oem headlight color is 4300K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-20-2016 at 04:14 PM.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
^^^^ Anybody else have input on this. I would drop the money on SHO lights in a second if I knew they would fit for sure and they are legal, even if it's a margin call. I have searched high and low to no avail for anything aftermarket. Just bulbs

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 03:26 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2015

I've read the Daniel Stern piece many times and can't help but wonder if it doesn't miss a few parts to the whole story. I've also wondered if the SHO headlamp assemblies have the same projector elements but with a different bayonet receptacle to accommodate the different bulbs. Stern makes a good point about the different focal points of a filament versus an arc, and that was most certainly applicable to the comparisons he made at the time.

Speculation starts here: From a production perspective, it would make sense to use as many common elements as possible. If all you have to change is the bulb holder to make an assembly usable for incandescent OR HID, it simplifies a lot of other things at the same time. The holder is a permanent part of the assembly, so it's not something that can be changed in the field. Given the success many of us have had with installing re-based HID lamps in incandescent projector housings, there's at least some correlation there.

My understanding of the legality is that most states (all states?) have adopted the DOT standards for vehicles, which includes the specifications for vehicle lighting systems. Headlamps are tested and approved as complete assemblies, so bulb, housing, and optics together. Removing any part of the original system voids the DOT approval, so changing out an incandescent for HID voids the approval by nature. Similarly, changing out projector assemblies to aftermarket systems does the same thing, because you're not using a tested and approved system (bulb, housing, optics). I think (not sure) that swapping out a complete SHO system would be fine, but that's beyond my knowledge.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Quote:
^^^^ Anybody else have input on this. I would drop the money on SHO lights in a second if I knew they would fit for sure and they are legal, even if it's a margin call. I have searched high and low to no avail for anything aftermarket. Just bulbs
Looked into this... the wiring is different and (potentially) the BCM calibration is different as well. It's not Plug and Play. I looked into this exact swap.
jethoss likes this.

thefranchise713

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, so I talked to the manufacturers this week at SEMA, specifically about the headlight issue. No, the SHO won't work. No, there is no viable alternative for a HID conversion. (crappy news I know). According toseveral bulb manufacturers tho, LED supposedly uses factory projectors and is 50 sate legal. Anybody have thoughts on this before I purchase??? Oh and I threw in a few jabs about the lack of performance parts availability for the 3.5 N/A and Ford said there is just not enough demand. Shooooot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page