Can my '13 Taurus use an Intelligent Key Fob - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr061 View Post
The vehicle is not equipped or programmed to handle Intelligent Access FOBS.

You MUST use IKTs.
Thank you Jason! I'll get one of the 5 button keys on order. Does anyone know if any old key cutting place can cut these keys? I know places like Ace can do house keys. There shouldn't be anything special with this right?

I was just quoted $100 from a guy to cut & program. He even said that cutting would cost $15. I told him that I could program since the procedure is known and he just scoffed and said 'good luck, you can try' :|

EDIT: local stealership wants $170 for the key and an additional $70 to program! Good Lord!

Last edited by ricer333; 11-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
If you have two working turning keys that can start the car you can program the car yourself. Tell the guy to shove it and have someone else cut the key for you. What an ass wipe. The key itself is expensive though. Be careful if you decide to order off of ebay. Be sure you get a genuine key.

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricer333 View Post
My assumption is that even with the remote start capability on the IAK, I woud have to have the key in the ignition to actually drive off, which would make having the IAK pointless. Is this assumption correct?
Yes.

When you get in your car during a remote start cycle, it will do nothing but idle and warm/cool the car until you put your key in to Run. It will even prompt you in the dash to do so.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:35 PM

My concern with having two of the "wrong" keys (ie not remote start) there is the possibility there are now 4 keys programmed to the car which is the max without dealer intervention. There is no way to tell without going to the dealer or trying to program another key and see if it accepts it. I have some refurb keys if you want to email me direct: [email protected]

Jason
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr061 View Post
My concern with having two of the "wrong" keys (ie not remote start) there is the possibility there are now 4 keys programmed to the car which is the max without dealer intervention. There is no way to tell without going to the dealer or trying to program another key and see if it accepts it. I have some refurb keys if you want to email me direct: [email protected]
Jason,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the information side of the cluster, under MyKeys it tells you how many keys there are programmed and what type of keys they are (Admin or other). In my case, my car has 2 keys registered, 2 Admin keys which I assume to be the two that I have currently in my possession.

This is my assumption only though. Can someone correct/validate this theory?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
Yes.

When you get in your car during a remote start cycle, it will do nothing but idle and warm/cool the car until you put your key in to Run. It will even prompt you in the dash to do so.

Idling and setting the A/C to ON/LO is all that I am looking for in the hot Florida weather.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
If you have two working turning keys that can start the car you can program the car yourself. Tell the guy to shove it and have someone else cut the key for you. What an ass wipe. The key itself is expensive though. Be careful if you decide to order off of ebay. Be sure you get a genuine key.
my sentiments exactly. This is the exact key that I'm looking to purchase: http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/20...ote-key-2.html. They offer a 90 day return policy. Also, I found a guy at a local Ace Hardware that will cut it for free. He said since I'm buying it myself and they have no way to 100% guarantee their process, that I'm the one risking. They key itself is really no different than any other key cutting process. All of them, even locksmiths, just use a machine to trace and cut, so what's really the difference?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricer333 View Post
Jason,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the information side of the cluster, under MyKeys it tells you how many keys there are programmed and what type of keys they are (Admin or other). In my case, my car has 2 keys registered, 2 Admin keys which I assume to be the two that I have currently in my possession.

This is my assumption only though. Can someone correct/validate this theory?
I would check mine but I got rid of my Taurus. Best case you try and it programs, worse case it doesn't and you have to have a dealer do it.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page