Beginning on my audio build - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 158 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Was really a pretty easy install. The adhesive that is used to hold the plastic covering the opening is stupid strong. Once I got the deadener put back on I just used some Super 77 and sprayed it around the edges and just stuck it back to the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 158 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 PM

Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
I plan to make a custom, solid panel to fill that hole. Probably made out of a plastic of some sort, possibly sheet metal.
post #23 of 158 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Got started on my amp rack tonight at work. Should be pretty straight forward and easy to do.

post #24 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Took some time tonight at work and cleaned up my CleanSweep wire harnesses. Spent an awful lot of time on a harness that won't be seen, BUT it looks good.

post #25 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

So I got started on getting everything installed this weekend. I'm just gonna say it took A LOT longer than I expected. I started Thursday morning about 9am and finished it up about 3pm Friday afternoon. I ended up having to borrow my parents vehicle to run back home because the car was still completely dismantled. Only thing I didn't have out of the car was the center console,top half of the rear seats, and the carpet.

Running all my speaker wires weren't nearly as bad as I expected. Unfortunately I have Molex plugs in the rear doors so I had to drill holes in the open spots of the plugs to run the speaker wires through. Running wire to the fronts was fairly easy as well, minus some of the stupid plastic pieces Ford put on their wire harnesses to keep them in place. I honestly didn't take too many pictures during the whole thing just because I was so focused on trying to get it done.

Amp rack turned out great.

Love the way it came together and fit in, but I have a few issues now that I have to take care of.
  1. Factory radio will not work without being plugged into the stock amplifier. This means that my amp rack won't work out as planned because I am going to have to mount the stock amplifier back in its home.
  2. I cannot get the CleanSweep to calibrate correctly. When I first plugged it in, it was fine because it had previously been calibrated to the previous owners vehicle. Once I tried to calibrate it to mine it would not calibrate correctly. Come to find out, if your vehicle came with the "premium" sound system, in order to use the CleanSweep you have to use the JL CL-SSI Signal Summing Interface as well. Apparently with vehicles that have the "premium" sound system, they don't provide full-range signal. In order for the CleanSweep to calibrate correctly, you have to have full-range signal.

I found a CL-SSI factory refurbished for $65 and I just ordered it today. I'm hoping that it will be here by mid-week so I can hopefully be playing by this weekend. Talk about a headache trying to figure out why nothing was working correctly when you know everything was hooked up right. So now I am currently running around listening to my radio off of my front center channel, rear center channel, and my 2 6x9 "subs".

Last edited by tgrfly4; 04-04-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #26 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention I have now deemed this

And I got some goodies in the mail from Droppin' HZ the other day too.

These were installed the other day when I was working Friday.
post #27 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Well everything is in and playing, BUT still needs to be tuned and the CleanSweep needs to be adjusted using the master volume. When you read up online about them you see a lot about a hissing or static sound coming from the speakers. Actually called JL and talked to them and they said the master volume needs to be adjust on the CleanSweep and then I can adjust the gains on my amps.

I'm also going to have to make a minor change to my amp rack. Not quite big enough now that I had to add the CL-SSI to the mix. Now that I have to have the stock amp in its original place, I can keep the amp rack where it was, but I'm going to have to mount it differently. Before I had it screwed to the sheet metal on the inside of the trunk. Now I am going to use a piece of 2" dow rod and make essentially spacers which I will PL glue to the sheet metal and then screw the amp rack to the dows once I have them mounted and in place.
post #28 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 PM

"full 12 speaker Sony sound system"

I have this in my Flex and SHO. Worthless like any other factory system.

No matter the cost, I have never met a factory audio system worth a damn. Why? Warranty costs? Those speakers have a 3/36 warranty or greater (Lincoln). Attenuate bass or woofer warranty will increase!

I hardwired an Alpine 7897 into my Mustang Mach 460 system (great built-in EQ / crossover capabilities) and woke up the factory amps and speakers. It sounds awesome compared to stock.
post #29 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit1977 View Post
"full 12 speaker Sony sound system"

I have this in my Flex and SHO. Worthless like any other factory system.

No matter the cost, I have never met a factory audio system worth a damn. Why? Warranty costs? Those speakers have a 3/36 warranty or greater (Lincoln). Attenuate bass or woofer warranty will increase!

I hardwired an Alpine 7897 into my Mustang Mach 460 system (great built-in EQ / crossover capabilities) and woke up the factory amps and speakers. It sounds awesome compared to stock.
I don't know if it is just the new speakers or if it is the CleanSweep or both, but it sounds 100x better and clearer than it previously did. Before it just sounded muddy.
post #30 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

SUCCESS!

So everything is together now and playing as it should.

One thing I ran into when I did the install of the JL CL-SSI is that if it is not getting full-range singal from the headunit through the channels you picked to tap into, the CleanSweep will not calibrate. Let me take a step back and explain how the SSI works. The SSI has 3 inputs and is capable of 2 or 3 way converting. Input A is your higher frequencies, Input B is your midbass or bandpass, and Input C is your sub stage. When I first had everything hooked up I had it as follows:

A-Front Tweeters
B-Front Doors
C- Rear "Subwoofers"

I could not get this format to calibrate. I called JL and talked to them about it and they said that without knowing what frequencies each channel is, its hard to really tell me what channels I actually needed to be hooked up to. Now with the Sony 12 speaker system you also have the front and rear center channels. I took a second to read up and see what frequencies they covered which is, 350-3500hz. So from there I changed my setup to:

A-Front Tweeters
B-Front and Rear Center Channels
C-Rear "Subwoofers"

This format also failed to calibrate. At this point I was out of ideas. I then tried:

A-Front doors
B- Front and Rear Center Channels
C- Rear "Subwoofers"

This finally worked. The only thing that I can guess is that the frequency range of the tweeters was too small to cover the what the center channel didn't and that's why it was failing to calibrate. With using the front doors for input A I covered a wide range of frequencies since they are used for both vocals and some midbass, but mainly vocals.

After cleaning up the static in the system and getting the CleanSweep to calibrate correctly with the SSI, it has made a huge difference. Before I had the static from the CleanSweep cleared up I had it calibrated, but I had to have the bass and treble on the headunit turned completely down, which is not how its suppose to be calibrated. Now everything is set up correctly, the bass and treble are both set at 0 and now I will actually be able to use the bass adjustment to help with the tuning of my sub. I plan on going to see my buddy in Indy on Sunday to have all my amps tuned so no clipping occurs.

Last edited by tgrfly4; 04-10-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page