Chapter: Northern
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
TPMS not working

13 Taurus SHO PP
So long story short, I got my oil changed a few weeks ago, and was told my driver side front tire was critically low and that I should keep an eye on it. Thought it was a bit weird the light never came on. Yesterday the tire went completely flat due to a crack in the rim (no idea how that happened), but the light never came on. I verified the TPMS is enabled in Forscan. Anyone know why it simply does not work? No errors in the dash, no codes or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:45 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2014
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Do you get pressure readings through Forscan if you pull up the PIDs?

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

If you hit something hard enough to crack a rim you may have damaged the sensor. You could let air out of another tire and see if alarms.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
Do you get pressure readings through Forscan if you pull up the PIDs?
Here is everything I could load in forscan regarding TPMS. Notice the one IPC reading is showing the warning lamp is off. Keep in mind the tire is still flat and the car is on a jack stand until I get the new rim. The affected wheel is currently leaning on the break assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TPMS diags.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	207233  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
If you hit something hard enough to crack a rim you may have damaged the sensor. You could let air out of another tire and see if alarms.
I don't recall hitting anything hard enough to cause this. However the Crack is so small that I did not believe it would make the tire go flat until the guy at the shop put air in it for me and there was air rushing out. Here's a picture of the cracked rim.

TPMS not working-1224181618_1545840565266.jpg
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaedenhudson14 View Post
Here is everything I could load in forscan regarding TPMS. Notice the one IPC reading is showing the warning lamp is off. Keep in mind the tire is still flat and the car is on a jack stand until I get the new rim. The affected wheel is currently leaning on the break assembly.

That's strange. I'll have to check my setup when i hop in my car. I've noticed i did not get any of the typical TPMS lights on this winter as the temps dropped. I've been relying on the light and never had time to check. I'll go hook up shortly and see if any of my PID's look completely different from yours

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaedenhudson14 View Post
You don't have any BCM codes or any other stores codes from the modules do you?

SO I scanned through the FSM a bit and saw that under "status" your TPMS system is reporting one tire is low. "Low cmpst status" and the system looks like it wants to generate a indicator light.

Silly question...does the light in the dash work? When you turn the car on, does the light come on for a second and then go out?

I checked on my car last night and the status was "system ready" with indicators both OFF. My pressures were around 25psi on all 4 tires however. I wonder what the cutoff is for tripping the light?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

I would go into Engineering Test Mode and engage the Tell Tale Test--see if the TPMS light comes on with the rest of the cluster.

To do this -- All doors closed, hold left OK button on wheel, then turn key or press start/stop to ON (KOEO, do not start). Scroll to 'TELLTALE TEST' and evaluate accordingly.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
You don't have any BCM codes or any other stores codes from the modules do you?

SO I scanned through the FSM a bit and saw that under "status" your TPMS system is reporting one tire is low. "Low cmpst status" and the system looks like it wants to generate a indicator light.

Silly question...does the light in the dash work? When you turn the car on, does the light come on for a second and then go out?

I checked on my car last night and the status was "system ready" with indicators both OFF. My pressures were around 25psi on all 4 tires however. I wonder what the cutoff is for tripping the light?
I have no codes at all. I actually thought there might have been an issue with the light, but I went into forscan and turned on the tpms light in the cluster and it works. The only thing I did that I can think MIGHT have caused this issue is I upgraded from sync 2 to sync 3. I did all the as built codes correctly.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
I would go into Engineering Test Mode and engage the Tell Tale Test--see if the TPMS light comes on with the rest of the cluster.

To do this -- All doors closed, hold left OK button on wheel, then turn key or press start/stop to ON (KOEO, do not start). Scroll to 'TELLTALE TEST' and evaluate accordingly.
The light works. I tested the light via ETM, and Forscan. I thought the light was bad at first too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page