Changing the tail lights on an 08 from clear to Montego LED? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2008
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Changing the tail lights on an 08 from clear to Montego LED?

Ok. I bought an 08 Taurus Limited and I love almost everything about it. Except one thing. The tail lights on this thing are hideous. I absolutely hate clear tail lights. There are cars that clear tail lights look good on and I don't think this is one of them. I would really like to swap the tail lights for the ones off a 2005-07 Mercury Montego. They were red LED with a separate orange turn signal. I honestly think that'd look a lot better with the Montego lights vs the stock ones. How possible is it and what would I need to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Montego
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
I own a Montego, and I have to agree. I love the tails.

Isnt your turn and brake the same light? If they are that side of the swap wouldnt work.

The other issue you may run into is that the BCM on the Montego was programmed for the LED's, if you were able to plug them in, I would think that you would get the hyper flash because of the LED lights.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
So I'm unsure of the tail light differences between these two cars, but anything is possible.

However, @TollKeeper has brought up an interesting point. If the tail lights are LED in the Montego, that's an immediate no go even with programming. The voltage the wiring loom will send to the tail lights will blow the LEDs immediately since it still thinks the halogen style tail lights are in place. You'd have to make a voltage box to trick the BCM into thinking the car is off (just for the tail light signal) and have the Montego lights mounted in with their own independent wiring and balasts. Unfortunately, this would all be involved if they are LED and your current tail lights are halogen bulbs.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM

Chapter: Northern
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
So I almost did this to my 08 taurus before I bought my newer SHO. The BCM can be programmed for rear LEDs so there is no hyper flash, and I am 99 percent certain the LED tails also run on 12v (same as if you were to replace the halogen bulb with an LED). The wiring diagram for the Montego does not indicate any other voltages other than 12v in this area.

There are some differences between the 2 tail lights though. The Taurus light does not have a dedicated blinker like the Montego does. All it takes is some re-wiring to get that to work, BUT the taurus uses the blinker feed as the brake light as well, so the LEDs will blink along with the dedicated blinker if you decide to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page