LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2016
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Sunshade Reverse Auto Retract

Is it possible, maybe via FORScan through BCM, to delete the auto retraction of the rear sunshade in reverse? Even with tinted windows I use the rear Sunshade often in sunny, hot, SC. All of that up and down, when the camera is usually all I need, is asking for a failure.

Note: I thought I had posted this a little earlier today. But when I went to check on it, it wasnít there. At the time I was having issues getting the site to load and move from page to page. So, if it pops up again, my apologies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:26 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2014
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
I haven't seen anything on my version of FORScan that will allow you to cancel the reverse pull down of the sunshade and I doubt that Ford would have it as an option in the module programming. I simply accessed the reverse trigger wire behind the rear driver side seat cushion and added a toggle switch to the panel to cancel the feature or switch it back to automatic.
UKfordguy likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelt62 View Post
I haven't seen anything on my version of FORScan that will allow you to cancel the reverse pull down of the sunshade and I doubt that Ford would have it as an option in the module programming. I simply accessed the reverse trigger wire behind the rear driver side seat cushion and added a toggle switch to the panel to cancel the feature or switch it back to automatic.
Thank you for your input. I donít have a sunroof so I could put a rocker switch right there. Does breaking that wire interrupt all reverse travel or just the automatic reverse? Do you remember which wire it was or have a copy of a schematic?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:58 PM

Garage
I didn't put the toggle switch up in the overhead console, I put it in where the sunshade switch is below the climate control panel. The reverse trigger wire is blue/white, and yes you can just cut the wire and tape it off if you don't want to add the toggle switch. With the wire cut, the sunshade can only be operated (up/down) by the sunshade switch and will not retract when the transmission is placed in reverse. I just put the toggle switch in so I could easily turn the feature back on if anyone else drove the car or in went in for repairs. The wire harness runs behind the rear seat outer cushion on the driver's side, fold down the seat back and reach in behind the outer cushion and you will feel the harness. There is enough room if you are only going to cut the wire and tape it off, but if you want to crimp on male/female connectors(to re-enable the feature) you will need to remove the outer cushion for more room. ****NOTE:**** There are more than one blue/white wires in the harness!!!. Simply use a straight pin to pierce the wire jacket, connect your red wire from your volt meter to the pin. Connect the black voltmeter wire to any chassis bolt, turn the voltmeter dial to 20 volts DC. Switch the ignition to RUN(not ACCY), put the shifter in reverse and if you got the right wire you should see 10-12 volts.
JRV1631 likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I didn't put the toggle switch up in the overhead console, I put it in where the sunshade switch is below the climate control panel. The reverse trigger wire is blue/white, and yes you can just cut the wire and tape it off if you don't want to add the toggle switch. With the wire cut, the sunshade can only be operated (up/down) by the sunshade switch and will not retract when the transmission is placed in reverse. I just put the toggle switch in so I could easily turn the feature back on if anyone else drove the car or in went in for repairs. The wire harness runs behind the rear seat outer cushion on the driver's side, fold down the seat back and reach in behind the outer cushion and you will feel the harness. There is enough room if you are only going to cut the wire and tape it off, but if you want to crimp on male/female connectors(to re-enable the feature) you will need to remove the outer cushion for more room. ****NOTE:**** There are more than one blue/white wires in the harness!!!. Simply use a straight pin to pierce the wire jacket, connect your red wire from your volt meter to the pin. Connect the black voltmeter wire to any chassis bolt, turn the voltmeter dial to 20 volts DC. Switch the ignition to RUN(not ACCY), put the shifter in reverse and if you got the right wire you should see 10-12 volts.
Now THATííS what I call detailed instructions. Thank you! I was thinking of the exact same switch position when I said I didnít have a sunroof. The sunroof switches are located to the left of the shade switches.....I think. Now Iím doubting myself. Those two blank out were where I thought they went. Regardless Iíll probably be fine taping it off and leaving it manual operation only. Thatís the way Iíve always wished it was.
sheila likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Garage
Here are some pic's of the wire & harness and the toggle switch placement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00056.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	204531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00058.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	204533  
UKfordguy likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here are some pic's of the wire & harness and the toggle switch placement.
All done and all is well! Thank you so much! I see your location of the switch is better than the blank outs because you don't have to reach around the shifter. I had to move some carpet to find the harness. I did notice one thing though. It may be a new quirk. On my first blue/white wire that showed 11.78v under the proper conditions I thought to myself, "Let's be double dog sure that's the one we're looking for". "Double dog sure" is southern for positive. So I had my assistant put the shifter in park, still showed 11.78v. So I wasn't cutting that one. Found another blue/white that did nothing. Then I found a third that read 11.78v under the proper conditions. With this one when my assistant put the shifter in park meter went to 0.00. Jackpot! Snipped, taped, done! Works exactly as I always wished it had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	204545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	204547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harness.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	204549  
sheila likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2015

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I just bought a 2015 SHO and HATE the reverse/shade down feature.
I am going to try this fix this weekend and wanted to verify this fix only disables the signal to retract the rear shade and doesn't mess with the reverse lights or backup camera?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:04 PM

Garage
MikeB_40 this only disrupts the reverse signal to the sunshade module. If you don't want to add a toggle switch to turn off/on the reverse auto down feature, just leave the wires as seen in my first pic, then the sunshade will only work with the dash switch and when you want the auto feature back, just reconnect it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:09 PM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Year: 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB_40 View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I just bought a 2015 SHO and HATE the reverse/shade down feature.
I am going to try this fix this weekend and wanted to verify this fix only disables the signal to retract the rear shade and doesn't mess with the reverse lights or backup camera?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
By taping off the wire it will disable the Automatic detraction of the sun shade. The Sun Shade button will still work but you will have to manually close it. It will not effect reverse camera or reverse lights.

2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package: Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers: De-baged. SCT X4 93 Canned Tune,( 3bar map sensor, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs to be installed), smoke tint headlights
Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
- 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 5sp RWD - restored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in