Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Having My TSW's Powder Coated....

13K views 57 replies 18 participants last post by  tjtheman007 
#1 · (Edited)
TSW's Powder Coated & Other Surprises..... July 2014

Thought it'd be best to get my Matte Gun Metal Black TSW's powder coated to a high gloss black instead.

Just had these torn off, tires, TPMS, and weights removed in preparation for the process.......

So the images above will be the last time these are viewed with the finish from TSW. Truthfully, I haven't been all that happy with the original matte finish, as not only has it not ever really matched the remainder of the gloss black throughout my SHO, but more importantly, the durability has been SIGNIFICANTLY less than desired.

Therefore, I am hoping by having them powder coated, the new finish will not only draw in line the rest of the gloss black theme throughout my SHO, but simultaneously will provide a much more durable finished coating to withstand the test(s) of time.

I'll re-post new pics once their finished and yes, I am trying to get this accomplished before Carlisle.

One minor hiccup I've noticed, is since the weather has been warmer the last couple of weeks here in the CHI...... I've been able to roll my windows down more often.

I noticed what appeared to be a developing exhaust leak of some sorts. Sure as poop...... looks like the measly 3" Flex Pipes that were installed in conjunction with my completely custom, hand built down pipes (1st ever of it's kind) have gone to crap. I'd imagine that with the amount of torque being placed upon them, they just didn't hold out.

The mesh material is completely torn away on the front side of each flex pipe.

So it looks like I'm gonna have to get these taken care of as well. Probably gonna have either an 8" or possibly even a 10" Flex Pipe installed in it's place.

If I recall correctly, the OEM Flex Pipes are either of those two lengths, and installing 3" Flex Pipes was probably either just an oversight on the individual who fabricated my Down Pipes for me originally, or perhaps it was a cost cutting measure. Or possibly both. Not sure.

Oh well. Live & learn.

See less See more
#3 ·
I definitely think those wheels will look great in a gloss black. Too bad on the flex pipes breaking. On the plus side I wish my car made enough torque to break things, short of the transmission at least.

#4 ·
Well...... surprisingly, my Powder Coater (http://winningcolorspowdercoating.com/) finished up PC'n my TSW's in the High Gloss Black Finish and told me to come pick them up today.

Holy hell! I was blown away at the finished product! The results left me breathless and far exceeded even my own expectations.

Here's a couple of teaser pics to feast upon......

Now it was highly suggested that I apply a fresh coat of wax to these, prior to re-mounting the tires, so taking advantage of a night off from work, that's exactly what I did.

Gonna do my best to get these re-mounted and re-installed back onto the car, so I can get the heck over to the exhaust shop and get those flex pipes repaired accordingly.

#6 ·
Looks awesome!!! Can't wait to see them on the car.

#7 ·
In reference to the flex pipes, it looks as if the fabricator used the shorties to maintain the stock hanger location.
The flex pipes could be mounted aft of the hangers, but the downside, is more flex will happen at the rubber mounts instead of the flex pipes themselves.
There is another option of using hubless flex connectors...they are a little longer, but, looking at the pic above, will come close to the 22* bends you have @ the o2 sensors.

Just thinking out loud brother....

What about going to a spring loaded ball and socket joint instead of flex pipe?

BTW...wheels look sweet....all you need is the polished inner lip behind the mesh....lol.

#9 ·
They're the banded type. I found that out a few years back, when I 1st purchased the TSW's.

I believe late into the 2010 production year, like the very tail end of it, they were switched over to the valve stem style and remained that way from 2011 and up.

#10 ·
Well, disappointed to inform the community, I have cancelled my attendance at the Ford National's being held in Carlisle, PA.

This decision as a result of two separate incidents regarding body damage incurred by the exhaust shop that I was referred to, in order to repair my damaged flex pipes (mentioned / pictured in the opening post of this thread).

So here's what happened, I confirmed the exhaust leak I had recently heard, was in fact coming from the failure of the 3" Flex Pipes installed on my 1st of it's kind ever to be fabricated DP's.

I had taken my car to my mechanic pal of 10+ years, in order to get the car up on the lift itself, to inspect further. Thus where that pic originated from.....

No biggie there...... so I searched around for a shop that would replace the failed pipes respectively.

Now I have never previously done business with this exhaust shop I went to, but since they were willing to undertake said repairs, even though there may be some Emission's Compliant "issues" (read between the lines) with my SHO, I felt ok to have them do the work, as they came referred.

So I am holding tight in the Customer Service area, watching the tech drive my SHO up onto their (drive-up) rack, in order to inspect what work I am telling them needs to be done. Two other tech's place large pieces of wooden planks (they look like 2x8's) in order to help minimize the angle of which the car needs to clear that custom lower front chin spoiler of mine.

So they do so, and as the car is being driven up, I hear a very distinct audible "crunch", I see the two outside tech's yelling out loud to the 3rd one driving my SHO "ok, it's ok, go slow, slow....."

They get the car up on the rack successfully, inspect the failed, 3" shorties, and then motion for me to come into the shop area with them. I see no physical damage to the car (whew) and then the one tech says "yeah, sir, your flex pipes are blown, you'll need to replace these". I kind of chuckled and replied "Yes, I am aware of that, that's why I am here, duh".

So the tech replies with the following: "Well, we should install 8" Flex Pipes in order to prevent this from occurring a second time, but we would have to order them. These parts are not here at the shop, but located at an off-site warehouse. They could be here by late tomorrow".

So I'm like "ok, no problem, go ahead and order them".

I return to the customer waiting area, and watch the three goons drive the SHO back OFF from the rack. Well it turns out, the crunch crunch noise I heard was apparently the wood planks they used (during the initial driving UP ONTO the rack) had begun to crack under the sheer weight of the car alone. But apparently they didn't break completely.

So they felt it was ok to RE-USE these exact SAME wooden planks when reversing the car off of the rack. Yes, the same one's that had began to break when the car was on it's way UP onto the rack.

BAD IDEA!

They get the rear axle off fine, but the very moment the weight of the front axle drives onto the planks, I hear a secondary crunch noise, followed by a super loud, solitary "BANG!".

Oh sh!t I think to myself..... so the three amigo's look at the car, while cursing at each other. Then the owner of the facility walks over.

The wood planks cracked completely while the car was on it's way down, and the car slammed onto the rack.

The lower under cladding piece broke completely off, and the left front fender became damaged at it's mounting point to the frame. The left front fender also had a crease, or a bend in it, midway up the panel, most noticeable near the faux side vent piece.

Here's some pictures of said damage:

So now, mind you, I'm a little miffed, but the owner is quick to exclaim that he will pay for any / all necessary repairs, and asks for the name of my body shop.

As a result, I leave knowing that at least it will be paid for, and now my next concern immediately transitions to my body shop, and what their availability is, to get me in like ASAP.

So I go there, get the estimate (a tick over $1,300) but am told they are booked solid, and the soonest they could get me in, is Monday, June 16th.

Crap, crap, crap.......

So luckily (or not) I was scheduled to work and as such, this entire incident noted above, was able to be somewhat placed out of my mind, as I was thrust into dealing with other people's problems, other than my own.

I get a call from the exhaust shop, advising the new, replacement, 8" Flex Pipes have arrived, and ask me if I could come in before Saturday. Sure I reply.

So I head back over there a second time, in order for them to perform the necessary repairs.

This....... if you could believe...... gets even more interesting.

So I arrive, and the owner of the exhaust shop meets me outside, and says "Hey umm, today, I'm going to have you drive your car up on the rack, and I'll guide you".

I kind of laugh in his face (yes, rude, I know) and say to him "I know what you're trying to avoid, but you do understand that it doesn't matter who actually drives the car up on the rack right?" I then proceed to tell him I have no qualms about doing so, but reiterate to him, that by working under his direction, the shop is, or would be, still liable for any further damage incurred.

So as I move into position, I observe him to place wood planks / boards (new 2x8's it would appear) in front of the rack. I pause, place the car in PARK, and ask the owner if he thinks, given what happened just two days prior, if repeating this same action, is advisable......?

The exhaust shop owner quips "Yes, it will be fine, I've been doing this for over 30 years, I know what I am doing, I am the owner, my guys from the other day, simply had it wrong and didn't know what they were doing".

So I shake my head in disbelief, but proceed at his direction anyhow.

Driving ever so slowly forward, the very moment the front tires make contact with those dubious wooden boards, I hear a semi-prolonged "rip" "crunch" followed by a "pop".

The owner turns pale, frantically yells to stop, and then belts out a loud F@CK!. Loud enough that all of the customers waiting in the waiting area, turn towards the shop to look over at my car.

I ask one of (the several) employees who've now gathered around my car, many of whom were there two days prior.... "what happened?".

They report that the lower front chin spoiler came completely off.

I then let out my own rather loud, solitary F@CK! of my own and proceed to exit the car.

After observing the chin spoiler damage, I then begin to take control of the situation. I notice that the spoiler itself is not damaged per se, however it appears that it just simply popped off from, the channel of the lower portion of the OEM Front Bumper Cover where it had been mounted.

I start telling the minions to grab a couple of floor jacks so the car can be simply jacked up (in place) so that I can then disconnect all of the necessary clips, bolts, etc. so as to not cause further damage. The owner looks miffed now, but allows his workers to do as I've instructed,

I jack up the car. I crawl under and then proceed to disengage everything and place the parts into my car. I had to cut all the wires to the LED underglow (even though I asked specifically of the vendor who installed them, to place in line quick connects / disconnects).

I reassess the car, and tell the owner "Well, what's done is done, might as well just flip'n drive it up onto the rack and fix those flex pipes as not much more could happen at this point you know".

So the owner proceeds to drive the car up on the rack, and they raise the car into the air. As the owner and his minions begin to cut out / torch / remove the old flex pipes, I inform the owner that when the work is completed here, I intend on driving immediately over to the body shop, to have them add on the additional damage.

The owner stops dead in his tracks, and tells his workers to stop.

The owner says to me "You know, I'm not comfortable working on your car anymore, it's too much of a liability, I want you and your car out of my shop".

I look at him puzzled, and reply "I am still willing to pay you to perform the necessary repairs, the car's already up in the air, there can't possibly be any reason to stop work at this point".

The exhaust shop owner then reaffirms his decision (to stop work) and asks for the phone number to my body shop. To which I provide him accordingly.

I overhear him speaking to the body shop on the phone, and a portion of the conversation involves him explaining he's only going to pay for the original damage incurred on day one, and NOT for any of the damage that occurred the 2nd day (with the chin spoiler).

He disconnects and looks at me and says "ok, looks like your car is off the rack, you can leave now". I was completely beside myself. Total shock. Having overheard his conversation with the body shop, I inquire how he planned on paying for the secondary damage? He goes to the shop, and returns with the brand new 8" Flex Pipes and places them onto the counter and says "Here 'ya go, this should cover it".

I laughed (yes, a 2nd time, rude? Meh..... at this point I didn't care). I asked "How do I know what these cost, in relation to how much EXTRA it will cost me to get the chin spoiler remounted?"

The exhaust shop owner says in a more stern voice "I really don't care, now get the f@ck off of my property".

I was speechless. Literally.

So now I have a damaged car, and flex pipes that have NOT as of yet, been repaired, along with a couple of new 8" Flex Pipes that are essentially acting as paper weights at the moment.

Here's the pics of the secondary damage:

As you can see, unlike when I hit that raccoon a couple of years back, the channel on the lower portion of that bumper cover, is still intact. So I am confident the chin spoiler can be remounted without much to do.

As a result of all of the aforementioned, I have chosen to withdraw my attendance from this year's Ford Nationals Event, and have already cancelled my tickets, as well as my hotel.

At this point, my focus is centered on getting my car repaired, but also beginning the search of a new exhaust shop that can perform the repair / replacement of the flex pipes accordingly.

Sad, sad, sad news for me........

Anyone have any idea on what a brand new set of 8" (double walled) flex pipes cost?

#11 ·
Speechless. Absolutely speechless. I would be so heated if that happened to me. Was really looking forward to seeing this awesome piece of machinery next weekend, but I'm sure nobody's as dissapointed/upset as you are.

#12 ·
Oh no..... That is just so unfortunate.... What horrible timing too. God I just hate when sh*t like that happens.....

Lawsuits lawsuits lawsuits. I can see the episode of Judge Judy now....

Sent from Josh's LG Optimus F6-S

#13 ·
Man, it's hard to believe that story...in answer to your question, at the most a pair of 8" flex pipes can't retail for more than about $120.00 a piece, I think that would be a ball park figure. So sorry to see the damage, I couldn't feel worst if it were my car.

#15 ·
Mike just looked at e-bay and they have some 8" flex pipes listed that range in price from a low of $17.60 to $46.50 a piece...so not sure what they would retail for, but at least you can get a ball park estimate from this. Good luck with it...I am glad that you have a body shop that you can trust....hope the guy that has the exhaust shop....something about a fiery car crash!

#16 ·
Thanks to all of you for the supportive words. I am still fairly upset about this situation.

Rightfully so I'd say. I'm torn. I mean part of me blames myself for trying to make sure the car was in tip top shape prior to travelling as far as intended, the other part of me is questioning whether or not I should've just lived with the exhaust leak noise and said "F it". Who knows.

But at this juncture, my time and effort is solely being centered upon getting the car back up to snuff.

As far as the Ford National's go..... yea, the timing couldn't of been worse. In the same token, I had ZERO intentions of bringing a damaged, messed up, F'd up SHO to an event of such magnitude.

Not to toot my own horn, but I recognize that my SHO is literally one of THE most talked about late model SHO's out there, and as such, it just wouldn't be right for me to represent likewise, with a damaged ride.

I hold out hope that next year will see a great opportunity for me to re-focus and double down my efforts to continue I take the steps necessary, between now, and 2015, to make sure my SHO's mod list continues to expand, continues to excite, and continues to generate the interest that she has all along up to this point.

First thing's first however, and that entails locating a new / different exhaust shop to pipe in these new 8" flex pipes.

A set back, but all will be better. I know my rear bumper had started "yellowing" a few years back, and that even to an untrained eye, it appears terribly mismatched in color between the other panels it butts up against. So I intend on having the body shop sand down and re-shoot the entire rear bumper (where it's white) when they perform the other repairs to those areas the exhaust shop damaged. So maybe it was meant to be. Who knows.

Now that the wheels have been PC'd in Gloss Black, that's one more thing I wanted to accomplish, so meh....... trying to stay focused on the positive's

Thanks again to all. Lot's of pics please from / of Carlisle...... know that I will be salty about missing out. Gggrrrrr......

#18 ·
Being a former L.E.O. in Chicagoland (as I understand you currently are) I'm sure it came in handy that you knew how to keep your cool. I'm also surprised the owner just decided to shut you down before finishing the job after so much damage had already occurred.

I'm a little OCD about my car as well...so I can only imagine how this makes you feel.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing how u flip this situation to make that sweet SHO look even better.

#17 ·
I'm so terribly sorry to hear all this, and if you hadn't already cancelled, would have encouraged you to arrive in whatever set of wheels you could bring. SHO aside, I'm sure your personal presence will be missed next weekend.

I'm fighting with a dealer myself right now. My 2014 was delivered in winter, but had a number of damages I noted upon delivery. The dealer promised to make it right, but I said we should probably wait until the better weather to fix it. Damages included scratches on both the body and one piece of glass, and paint defects. Some I suspect were someone being careless with an ice scraper, some were under the clearcoat and a factory defect.

Right now, it is at that dealer for the third time(!) Some of it has been bad luck--their paint booth has been having some frequent issues lately. But that makes it no less frustrating. I dropped it off last Tuesday for repairs, thinking I'd have it back by Friday. Called Friday afternoon, won't be done until early this week.

That would all be tolerable, but I have to work, and still need to get both my new audio setup in. I told them just to get me the car ASAP. I still need to get the driver's seat fixed (functional, just an annoying problem) and a dent fixed before I get down to PA. A second dealer can't see me until Friday for the seat, and I have no idea what to do on the dent yet. I'm going to have to sweet talk Dealer 2 into seeing me early to look @ the seat just to see if they need to order parts.

None of this compares to what happened to your SHO. You've got it 10x worse. But on a very small scale, I appreciate the nightmare of getting the car ready for the show.

You'll be missed next weekend--please keep us posted as your SHO comes back to glory.

#20 ·
Well...... finally sourced a completely different shop to perform the necessary exhaust repairs to the damaged / blown out Flex Pipes.

Thanks entirely to my good friend Jeff (who also happens to be my one and only Official Photographer of my SHO).

I was incredibly thankful for their talents and they were incredibly appalled at the damage caused by the original shop who attempted the repairs and subsequently F'd up my car for lack of better terms.

Jeff commented, as did this new shop's owner and employees, that they routinely work on cars much lower than mine, without any problems whatsoever.

Mostly "Ricers" and heavily modified vehicles that have been lowered and/or incorporate lower front chin spoilers and/or splitters up front.

So anyhow, here's a couple of images of the new Flex Pipes installed. They're 8" double walled stainless steel. Hoping these last much longer than the 3" shorties originally used in the fabrication of my 1st ever of it's kind, catless DP's.....

So my car goes in this Monday to the body shop, to correct the body damage, and I'm also having my rear bumper (just the white portion) re-sprayed.

I'm also sneaking in another project for them to accomplish as long as she'll be down for these repairs. It should be both functional, as well as being considered aesthetic in nature.

So stay tuned for updated pics within the next couple of weeks if all proceeds well.

#22 ·
Dropped off car to / at the body shop this morning. Work on the body repairs caused by the exhaust shop have commenced......

Here's a shot of the newly PC'd wheels on the car. They're a lil dirty from driving, but you get the idea.....

Hoping for a pickup mid to late next week..... keeping fingers crossed.

#23 ·
Wow, didn't think I'd like them black..loved the gunmetal, but they look amazing! Really look great! Good luck with getting the car back to 100% ASAP!

#24 ·
Well, had a trial to testify in this morning, however it proceeded quicker than anticipated, with a plea agreement being struck. I took advantage of the earlier than expected release, to bring my youngest daughter (13) over with me to the body shop to see how progress was coming along on my heavily modified 2010 Taurus SHO.

I am thankful for at least one (of my three daughters) for having been completely enamored with / by the "car scene" and she's always asking to help out when it comes to cleaning / detailing not only my car, but any others I happen to do (on behalf of family or friends). She was treated to a full press tour of the facility, and was able to see all the "behind the scenes" intricacies of body repair, collision work, as well as (like in my case) custom work.

Luckily, I had enough wherewithal to bring along with me a ice cold case of bottled beers, to help chock their employee fridge with, to enjoy at the end of their work day.

I say luckily, because the one fabricator laughed when he saw what my hands were filled with and retorted "How did you know I needed stress relief? Funny you bring those, as I was just cursing you out for this latest project you tasked me with".

I just smiled and asked how it was coming along? He brought me over to the my car and showed me some of the custom things he needed to fabricate, and tack weld into place.

Pretty cool stuff I must admit and I'll tell 'ya what..... I am always, ALWAYS thoroughly impressed with the level of talent and quality that this particular shop has always put forth in regards to any of their work.

I was also happy with the fact that the damage caused by the exhaust shop as previously described, is nearly complete. The back bumper has been removed and is primed for repainting. The front of the hood, where the latch is located, has also been repaired and is now void of any bumps, kinks, divets from careless people who smashed the hood closed, with no, or very little regard to preventing damage to the hood in this isolated area over the years.

Now, I was tempted to take pictures, and I did bring my camera with, however, not wanting to ruin the surprise, I opted to refrain from snapping away.

Looks like I should be getting my baby back mid to late next week. I am becoming excited about my SHO once again.

#25 ·
Will be waiting right here eagerly awaiting said photos!

#27 ·
just saw this thread.... how the heck... i mean, yeah the car is lowered, but the pics don't look THAT low... Looks like the Front of my Neon was around the same height or lower... stock ride height. (just looking @ the Pics. I could be way wrong)

can i make a guess as to the mystery upgrade?

Air Ride.

that way you can raise the ride height for things like, speed bumps, shop lifts, etc.

#28 ·
Can I make a guess as to the mystery upgrade?

Air Ride.

That way you can raise the ride height for things like, speed bumps, shop lifts, etc.
Nope.

Way off.

It's something relatively small in the grand scheme of things, but functional in the aspect that it will prevent the issue I've experienced, from resurfacing ever again.

On a side note, I do have a MUCH LARGER project nearing completion, that is outside of the scope of these current body related repairs.

One that oughta propel me into the records books.....

And no, I won't divulge..... at least just not quite yet.

Muahahahahahahaha :angryfire:

#30 ·
Having too much time without the car has allowed your mind to run wild...can't wait to see the finished look and the new mods!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.