Loud bang and now steering wheel is not centered - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff K
  • 2 Post By sheila

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Loud bang and now steering wheel is not centered

So I was driving my silver 2001, stopped at a red light and as I started forward I heard a bang on what was the passenger side front. My wife and I drove a couple of hundred feet and pulled into a parking lot. Did a quick check of the wheels to see it rear wheels were ok, thought maybe strut link pulled from unibody connecting point. We started driving to our original destination and the steering wheel was off center. I turned around and drove back home about 10 miles and it drove normal but steering wheel was off center.

At home I chocked the rear wheels one at a time and backed up and pulled forward to see if the wheels moved in the wheel well. They were solid in place. Then I noticed that with the steering wheel centered the driver side wheel was toed out. Passenger side wheel was straight on.

Then I noticed that the drive side wheel clearance to wheel well was about 1.5 to 2 inches lower. I haven't investigated yet but I think the spring broke. I am thinking the spring breaking caused the toe in to change because the camber change. These are Monroe Quickstruts installed about ten year ago. Any opinions before I start looking into what is wrong.

I was trying to hit 200k miles before I drop it off at the salvage yard. I only need 118 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:04 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

In addition to looking for a broken spring, also check the subframe to see if one of the 4 mounting bolts broke, bolt pulled thru the subframe due to rust, subframe cracked from rust, etc. Sounds like time to retire the car.
ice445 likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
In addition to looking for a broken spring, also check the subframe to see if one of the 4 mounting bolts broke, bolt pulled thru the subframe due to rust, subframe cracked from rust, etc. Sounds like time to retire the car.

Yep was going to retire it later this spring but now maybe just trying to drive it to the JY and not having to tow it. Not sure if a dropped subframe would change the toe in. Subframe on this car has always been solid and replaced mounts and bolts ten years ago trying to chase down a slight pop pulling forward. I was wondering what kind of event was going to be the motivation to junk it. Car runs well and was reliable.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:36 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
I'm guessin' spring...
snosaint and kekaye56 like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:25 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
My money's on a subframe bolt pulled through due to rot. Both theories are equally plausible, although the toe thing is kind of odd if it was just the spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ice445; 04-28-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in