Rear drum brakes suk - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rear drum brakes suk

2004 sedan,I replaced drums an shows with Oreillys so called best.One month under the two year warranty they were shot,got free replcements.(10/14_9/16) Now two years plus they shot the bed again,this time shoes free replscements,drums 44 bucks each ouch!what to do with this sad situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Are you adjusting the star wheel to retract the shoes? Did you replace the cylinder when you did the brake job? I have had the cylinder freeze in the extended position and I had to cut the drum off.

Also spray lube into the lug area because sometimes they rust to the wheel hub. Does it move at all on the hub?
sheila likes this.

Last edited by Automender12345; 04-09-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I replace both wheel cylinders its all dry in there.I got the drums off and they have groves in them?wtf? Shoes still got a little meat on em,no metal parts loose or missing. Could be cheap China drums?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb View Post
2004 sedan,I replaced drums an shows with Oreillys so called best.One month under the two year warranty they were shot,got free replcements.(10/14_9/16) Now two years plus they shot the bed again,this time shoes free replscements,drums 44 bucks each ouch!what to do with this sad situation?
You have something wrong with your system. Pic of a shoe set I replaced with 65K miles +. they were on the used car when I bought it and looked nearly new. I put on JY drums because they were high quality and nearly new. Parking brakes work very nice. When I jack up a wheel, it spins free, pedal is firm. '03 Sable.
I also have '03 Sable with rear discs and the difference in hardly noticed by sensitive and picky me.

As to finding your issue. Drive it normal and park. Then feel the temperature of the drums. After a 5 mile mixed drive, I can touch the drums and not burn my finger, and both are the same feel.

Jack up a wheel and spin the tire. It should spin free with at most a slight sound.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShoeCracks.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	208471  
sheila likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I'm stumped. All hardware new,brakes worked fine including parking brake.no leaks,good feel to pedal,I've had rear drums on cars in the past and no such problems,they were heavier cars.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

Are your front calipers working properly. If not then they will add a lot of wear to the rear drums.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 PM

Year: 02

Garage
Quite often drum brake jobs go bad because park brake cables hang up or are adjusted wrong. The spreader bar is actuated by the lever on the rear shoe and spreads the shoes at the top. this bar MUST have play between the shoes after the shoes have been adjusted. If not; your shoes will drag and not release properly. 95% of all tauruses i work on have frozen cable/s. Oreilley's best is not very good. Lifetime warranty doe not mean quality. I recommend Wagner PAB599AR shoes for 100,000 mile life with quiet performance. From an expert.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteve56 View Post
Quite often drum brake jobs go bad because park brake cables hang up or are adjusted wrong. The spreader bar is actuated by the lever on the rear shoe and spreads the shoes at the top. this bar MUST have play between the shoes after the shoes have been adjusted. If not; your shoes will drag and not release properly. 95% of all tauruses i work on have frozen cable/s. Oreilley's best is not very good. Lifetime warranty doe not mean quality. I recommend Wagner PAB599AR shoes for 100,000 mile life with quiet performance. From an expert.
I'm about to do the job and was planning on following these instructions. Is there anything missing in them?

sheila likes this.

2004 Taurus SES Duratec 110k

Upgrades: Mach RCU & Tweeters, Bluetooth, Ford Cargo Tray, LED Trunk Lighting, Headlight Relays, Adjustable Pedals
Running on: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 & Fram Pro Synthetic Filter, Valvoline MERCON V, Valvoline DOT 3&4, ZEREX G-05, Top Tier Regular Gas
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

The cable is good,the bar has some play. What gets me is in all the years of doing drum brakes ( I remember front drums) I have never seen groves in drum and shoes still have meat on em. I've seen parts come off and grove The drums but this is some crap.?????
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

If they ha d Wagner or bendex is have got them,next time I'll plan ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page