2004 Lower ball Joints - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2004
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice445 View Post
I have this and it doesnt fit around the BJ.
This question is for everyone, this one is only $10 more. Wouldn't it be a better one to get and more versatile ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/ball-j...les-60827.html
sheila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
The boot is also like ten times thicker that the Mexican made ones.
I don't know where these are made, but these are the ones I ordered and the boot looks fairly thick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had I known about the Motorcraft ball joints (below) I would have ordered them instead. I really like their design.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-MC...e%2C132&sr=1-9

UPDATE:
The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just sell the AC Delco ones I have on ebay (since I can't return them to amazon anymore) and just buy the Motorcraft ones above.

Do you guys think the Motorcraft ones are the better way to go?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
I don't know where these are made, but these are the ones I ordered and the boot looks fairly thick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had I known about the Motorcraft ball joints (below) I would have ordered them instead. I really like their design.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-MC...e%2C132&sr=1-9

UPDATE:
The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just sell the AC Delco ones I have on ebay (since I can't return them to amazon anymore) and just buy the Motorcraft ones above.

Do you guys think the Motorcraft ones are the better way to go?

These are the ones I purchased in 2013 and they are still good. Maybe 60k plus miles on them at this point. Scroll down the reviews and you will see my review. I also like the nut which has a protective boot to help seal the tapered stud from corrosion.

Not sure I would toss the original ones you ordered and get new ones. I think the MotorCraft ones you listed are really Moog parts made for MC.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-MC...ustomerReviews

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
These are the ones I purchased in 2013 and they are still good.
Interesting nut design.

I'm not a big fan of the new Moog products. They seem to cut too many corners on their newer products.

I will have to check into seeing if Moog actually makes the Motorcraft ball joints. That would be sad if it's true.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
Interesting nut design.

I'm not a big fan of the new Moog products. They seem to cut too many corners on their newer products.

I will have to check into seeing if Moog actually makes the Motorcraft ball joints. That would be sad if it's true.

I thought it was interesting when I looked into ball joints. The pics were at the same angle and look the same except for the color of the boot in pic. I originally bought two Moogs and ripped the boot installing one of them so I bought the MC one. Bought two more when I redid the front end on my 2006 at 175k miles. New struts, bearing hubs, ball joints and swaybar links. I was tired of piece repairing the front end on my 2001.

Last edited by Automender12345; 02-26-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:39 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ AngelArs, that's a good buy on the HF bj service kit up top! I just got the March catalog today and with the coupon it's $60. Iirc, years ago I gave ~$80....
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^ AngelArs, that's a good buy on the HF bj service kit up top! I just got the March catalog today and with the coupon it's $60. Iirc, years ago I gave ~$80....
Yes and with the 20% coupon it makes it only $23! I think it's a no-brainer and will be picking one up this weekend.

I'll report back how it works out when I use it, but I think it will be fine when used with the Ford adapter.
sheila likes this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Year: 02

Garage
Save yourself from yourself, have a pro install these. You need a special adapter for the HF tool, and if you even read my post under your strut thread, I included a link to the proper ball joint separator (pittman arm puller). I'm not sure what your capabilities are, if you screw this up you will be buying new knuckles. Nothing personal.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
Yes and with the 20% coupon it makes it only $23! I think it's a no-brainer and will be picking one up this weekend.

I'll report back how it works out when I use it, but I think it will be fine when used with the Ford adapter.

That is the one that I bought from there to do my BJ. I just didn't want to rent one out at AZ for that amount of money. Wanted to do the job when I was ready, not when the tool was available. Besides I have three Taurus to use it on. Adaptor I used above is a PowerBuilt brand and is around $20.
sheila likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

When I do this job I was also thinking of replacing the hub/wheel bearings. The ones on the car don't look bad, but I'm not sure if they were ever replaced and with almost 150K miles on the car I figure it would be best to do it while the knuckle was off the car, instead of waiting for them to go bad later on down the road.

My question is will I need to had any kind of a wheel puller to get the hub off? I watched a video for a '99 Taurus and he did need to use a puller, but in a 2003 Taurus video they didn't need one at all and the hub came right off, so I'm confused about if I need one or not. I think the '99 is designed differently but not sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page