Struts (Again) (Again) Question/Help

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  4 wheel disc brakes 
#1 ·
1997 Wagon.
3.0 OHV
About 60,000 miles.

Squeaky, Squeaky, Squeaky.

When I got this car all worked fine.
But I thought to change the front struts because of age.
1st pair - Monroe Quick Strut/Ready Mount.
Hired mechanic to install them. Done.
Worked fine for a few months then squeaks began.
Visited multiple shops for opinions.
It had to be the struts.

2nd pair - this time I got the Gabriel.
Gabriel has a different number for right and left (front)
Had a different repair/shop install the Gabriels.
Worked fine for a few months and now got the struts squeak again.
Visited multiple shops and all state the struts.

I purchased the struts and had the shops install them.

Now the questions.

Are these installers missing something?
These are the quick struts/ready mounts so it should be just take the old ones out and replace with the new ones. Is that correct?

Alignment done each time with zero issues. All front suspension is excellent. Suspension checked multiple times for anything worn or loose. Nothing. New ball joints. New arms.

All state that it is the bearings on top of strut. Is there something missing on the strut tops? Or are there other parts that should be checked that cause the struts to squeak?

Am I missing something here? Are the mechanic/shops missing something?
Can the struts be put in incorrectly?
Are there other parts that should be viewed/checked?
Is there something that I am missing in all of this?

See less See more
#2 ·
IIRC the mounts on aftermarket struts are low quality, especially for the fronts. Using the OEM Motorcraft mounts, even with aftermarket struts, is usually the answer.

#3 · (Edited)
I seem to remember a TSB about the spacing between the bearing and the tower even with OEM strut mounts. I think the fix was a spacer on the bolts to lower the bearing assembly a hair so it doesn't rub the tower. Maybe someone can confirm this.

I have used Monroe Quickstruts on my 2001 all around and have had no issues for three years on the rear and a year on the fronts. All OEMs had broken springs.

#6 ·
I seem to remember a TSB about the spacing between the bearing and the tower even with OEM strut mounts. I think the fix was a spacer on the bolts to lower the bearing assembly a hair so it doesn't rub the tower. Maybe someone can confirm this.

I have used Monroe Quickstruts on my 2001 all around and have had no issues for three years on the rear and a year on the fronts. All OEMs had broken springs.
Thanks.

How do I find out more about this?

I have already gone thru Monroe ready/quit mounts on front.
And I now have Gabriel ready/quick mounts.

Both had/have same issue - after a few months.

Although there are defective parts out there I find it a tad difficult to run across two different brands - and end up with the same problem.

So I would appreciate any leads/information about any issues with installation of the front strut assembly(s).

#11 ·
Are you sure it's the struts the are squeaking? The sway-bar endlinks are connected to the struts and tend to squeak a lot when they're worn.
Thank you.

I did have front end checked - while on lift - at local mechanic. But I did not ask to check any specific parts. I will ask again.

Thanks.

#7 · (Edited)
^^^ I have read it or heard it somewhere in the past year. Seems it was related to cold weather and may have even seen it on the forum. I will do a little research and see it I come up with it. It maybe worth a call to the dealer, not sure how productive that would be. I was hoping to jog someone's memory.

Here is a link to a post that has a diagnostic path. Further in the thread it call out a TSB 96-3-3 that might help but I don't have access to.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB97231SuspensionNoise.htm

#8 ·
I don't have a subscription to Alldata, but it might be worth it to see if they have any TSB, that's about the only way I know how to access TSB's without going to the dealer. I've kinda had the same problem with my Monroe Quick struts, didn't even really know they were bad until I replaced them and then the noise the front end made went away, I had replaced the sway bar endlinks also, thought it might have been sway bar bushings. The Monroe Quick struts do have a lifetime warranty so you should have just gotten another set although I suppose it'd be a pain to keep paying labor to put them in every year.

#9 ·
I can't find any additional info on the TSB, but looking at a picture of the bearing any squeaking would have to come from the bearing or the rotating part contacting the tower somewhere. I couple squirts or WD 40 may prove a bearing rub issue. Have you replaced the outer tierod ends? I have had them squeak on me because they were dry and not worn. I injected grease which fix the issue. I could have sworn it was a strut bearing issue.

Attachments

#10 ·
Can you make the car squeak stopped with the hood open bouncing up and down on either fender? Maybe you could isolate the Area its coming from and try fluid film to different parts of the suspension friction area's to see if the squeak changes or is eliminated. Are your hubs and bearings O.K. A-arm bushings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.