Tire Rotation Direction - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 5Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 wheel disc brakes View Post
Bias-ply tires are referred to as diagonal ply.
Some tire makers say cross rotate, others don't.
They are referred to as bias-ply tires, and have been since the 1960s if not earlier. That's what all the tire dealers, car dealers and car magazines called them.

I never heard anyone mention diagonal-ply until you, just now. I remember Firestone and Goodyear and Uniroyal and others advertising bias-ply tires when I was looking for replacement tires for my Corvair back in 1973.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNT58 View Post
Radial Tires are rotated front to back and back to front same side ONLY.
Taking a radial from the right side and installing it on the left side can cause the belts to fail. This will greatly reduce the life of your tires and possibly result in a catastrophic tire failure.

The old bias-ply tires were rotated in a crisscross fashion and included the same sized spare in the rotation. I doubt you would even be able to find a bias-ply tire for a Taurus, that is assuming you would even want to.
"for a Taurus" so take a look at the TAURUS owners manual . I doubt Ford would publish instructions that are knowingly unsafe. Now selling something unsafe, may be a little different (yes I am talking about you Ford Pinto).

I always did front to back with radials as well but then I READ THE OWNERS MANUAL and went back to doing it the way it was always done before

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Straight Rotation was developed in the early years of radial tires. This rotation method simply replaces the front to rear and rear to front and is used for directional tread patterns. *Is not necessary anymore with modern tires.
The "Modified Cross Pattern" provides the best results and can be performed on any Front or Rear Wheel Drive vehicle equipped with 4 non-directional tires. (directional tires must be rotated front to rear only.)
http://www.tiresafety.com/maint/maint_content.asp
kekaye56 likes this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

I read that link yesterday. I also found that Michelin.com shows rotation front to rear only. Hmm.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
I think you're fine using the criss-cross (diagonal) method if you religiously rotate ea. 5000-7500 mi., but if you're like me, and rotate when you happen to think about it or notice wear, I would definitely recommend the front to back rotation only. Btdt, lol!!! Probably a good habit to get into, is to rotate tires at oil changes.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM

I'll always rotate front to rear, rear to front in a diagonal pattern.

Wish I could rotate the tires on my Marauder but from factory it comes with a larger rear tire and I run directional dedicated summer & winter tires.

2015 Ford Focus SE HB
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
2010 Ford Fusion Sport
2006 Ford F-350 SD Amarillo
2004 Mercury Marauder 300B
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page