Power Steering Pump Replacement + High Pressure Line - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Monsoon
  • 1 Post By soundu
  • 1 Post By Draco911

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Pump Replacement + High Pressure Line

Last weekend I replaced the Power Steering Pump (Motorcraft) and High Pressure Line (Gates) on a 1997 Duratec engine. The reason for the replacement because the high pressure line was leaking badly at the pump. This sprayed hydraulic fluid everywhere including the pulleys and the belt.

I got both parts at rockauto.com

Tools needed:
Metric Crowsfoot (SK & Craftsman) and Metric Wrenches
Metric Stubby Wrenches 16mm + 18mm
OEM Power Steering Kit Service Kit 27031
Bare hack saw blade

The challenges for this project are removing and installing the power steering pump pulley. Removing and installing the high pressure power steering line .

You MUST remove the coolant reservoir to remove/install the power steering pulley while on the engine. This gives tool access for removal and installation. Drain about three-quarters of a gallon of coolant from the radiator drain ****.

Use the OEM Service Kit (Autozone) to remove and install the pulley. KD tools makes a similar service kit but you'll struggle trying to install the pulley on because the install bolt isn't long enough to press the pulley on all the way. OEM Service Kit does not have this issue.

NOTE: SEQUENCE IS IMPORTANT WHEN INSTALLING THE HIGH PRESSURE LINE AND PULLEY.

Jack up the front end of the car and put on jack stands and remove front wheels. Remove the outer tie rods from steering knuckle.

Removal...
Drain the power steering fluid on the passenger side of the rack-and-pinion. 16mm wrench or 16mm crowfoot. Remove the power steering reservoir hose between reservoir and pump. Remove the drive belt. Once the fluid is drained re-tighten the 16mm flare nut. Remove power steering reservoir.

After removing the coolant reservoir, pull off your power steering pulley with the clam shell pieces from the OEM kit, on the engine. Note the location of the pulley to the shaft because you'll want the same position when installing the pulley on to the new pump. When you start removing the pulley you'll hear a pop and see the pulley moving off of the power steering shaft. Be careful because this pulley is made out of hard plastic and its easy to chip or put hair line cracks in it.

After the pulley is removed take a 18mm wrench and remove the high pressure line from the power steering pump, remove power steering clamp from alternator bracket. Remove the power steering pump from engine with 10mm wrench, 3-bolts here.

The OEM power steering line is held in by 2 clamps at the bottom of the firewall. One is nylon, passenger side, pull on this until it comes free. The drivers side bolt is 10mm and you'll have to use a socket and ratchet for this, flashlight as well because it is really dark. Use the flashlight and find the other end of the power steering hose, drivers side. It's an 18mm flare nut and chances are it's on really tight. I would recommend using a hack saw blade and cut the steel tubing near the fitting to get an 18mm boxed wrench or socket for removal. Space is tight here so I used my bare hands and the hack saw blade only. In about 15-minutes you should be done with cutting the old tubing away from the fitting. Use a boxed end wrench to remove fitting.

Before you remove the OEM power steering hose note how it is routed at the bottom of the firewall. The hose is some type of tray, make SURE you put the new hose here. If memory serves me correctly you have to route the new hose underneath the O2 wiring harness. Rerouting the NEW hose will be difficult but manageable. The hose catches it seem on everything.

On the drivers side remove the air cleaner and loosen the tube for the automatic trans-axle (dipstick). This gives access to the 18mm fitting, top side, I'll explain in a minute.

Installing...
Install OEM clamps on to new power steering hose. Install new power steering hose by routing in the tray and under the 02 wiring harness. Take your time here and be patient. Once the hose is in place align the new fitting to the rack-and-pinion. Space here is really tight, so have a partner press from top side press with their finger down on to the fitting while you bottom side start turning the flare nut with 18mm stubby wrench. Once the treads catch into the rack-and-pinion, stop and see if you can reinstall the passenger and driver's side power steering clamps.

Complete the tightening the 18mm flare nut on the rack-and-pinion. Use the crowfoot wrench for final tightening. I used the SK 18mm flare nut wrench set here for final tightening.

Install the new power steering pump onto the engine using the removed 3-bolts. Install and tighten the new hose to the power steering pump, 18mm flare fitting here as well.

I used some bicycle grease to put on the power steering pump shaft for pulley installation. From the OEM kit use the install tool and start pressing on the pulley. Make sure you tread this tool in as far as it will go because it will be tight. Press on the pulley until it aligns to the end of the power steering shaft (in my scenario) or as you remembered it before you removed the pulley (see removal).

Install the power steering reservoir and coolant reservoir. Install power steering reservoir hose. Install drive belt. Fill up the power steering reservoir with Mercon V. Start the engine and check for leaks. Re-install the tie rod ends and wheels.

This project is very challenging, if you don't have the tools or patience then do not attempt.

Monsoon
Draco911 likes this.

>> In God we trust; all others bring data.
>> I'm a ZONIE living in CO
>> Factory Certified Glock Armor
>> ASQ Certified Software Quality Engineer
>> 253K+ Duratec Mile Club
>> Motorcraft. What's in your
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Wow 6+ YO How to Post!

Thanks for the nice write up, both my ends at the pump and at the rack are leaking, causing tremendous amounts of smoke :-o

Much appreciate your efforts sir!

Jim

Last edited by Draco911; 03-27-2019 at 10:52 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 AM

Garage
Thumbs up

Update:

Well, I did everything above but did not disconnect the tie rods yet.

Driver side AirBox removal:

I did discover if you remove the sensor/switch to the right of the pressure line fitment you will create plenty of space to get the stubby 18MM box wrench in there. I was struggling with the socket extension and crows foot. No room to break that sucka loose.

It's clean right now because I used electronics part cleaner, definitely source of the leak

Taking a break, too dark to continue. :-)

RSD,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pressure line.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	208253  

Last edited by Draco911; 03-28-2019 at 12:25 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

i find it curious how it was leaking. I know on the 3.0 Vulcan pumps there
are two orings on the high pressure side that sticks into the pump.
does yours have the orings and did you try to replace them first?

I changed the rack on my 98 and getting the lines on the rack were
a treat. that short 18mm will bust your knuckles until its all tight.

bob
Draco911 likes this.

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Garage
Hey Bob :-) ( love your sig )

If you are asking me, the leak at the pump was coming from the pipe itself not the threaded area, literally squirting out and the nut was tight as it can be. The knuckle side was dripping like crazy again tight as can be based on the crack of the crowfoot to it. I will keep an eye on that side to see if switch gave way. I know pressure switches tend to leak at times.

As far as o-rings are concerned, the original old FORD part only had one hard teflon type oring behind the threads near the nut, no real way to remove and replace a proper fitting one, maybe it is a Duratec thing, who knows.

The FLAPS part was the same thing a single hard oring on both ends requiring 10-20 ft lbs

I have successfully installed the line but puller broke the wheel so I need to replace and test the system, off to the FLAPS.

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pressure Line 2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	208267  

Draco

Last edited by Draco911; 03-28-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:03 PM

Garage
Pulley Replaced, Filled Fluid, Bled System (On/Off x 5, topped off to Max Cold), No Leaks, No Smoke even after 20 minutes.

Turns lite as a feather, little to no gear noise :-)

Success! Thanks again OP for an excellent tutorial.
sheila likes this.

Draco

Last edited by Draco911; 03-28-2019 at 11:07 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:17 PM

Garage
WYIT, I would replace the PSS4 (PSS4T), Power Steering's PRESSURE Switch. It will leak sooner or later, mine had 60K miles on it.

Draco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page