2002 Taurus SES rear stabilizer (sway) bar - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
2002 Taurus SES rear stabilizer (sway) bar

I bought this car about two weeks ago and we're getting to know each other. I found that on the rear stabilizer bar, the left connecting rod lower threads had snapped off and the connecting rod was just dangling there from the stabilizer bar itself. The connecting rods are easy to get, but I also noticed that the left mounting bracket for the stabilizer bar itself was broken. The metal around the bolt hole was stil around the bolt, but the rest of the bracket was just hanging from the tongue-in-slot point at the rear of the bracket.

Sparing you all the gory details, I got the runaraound from a couple of dealers before they finally agreed that the original replacement part is the entire assembly of bar, brackets and bushings since the bushings are banded in metal and welded to the brackets. They say I need Ford part number 2F1Z-5A772-AA, which is obsolete and discontinued by Ford, and NOBODY makes as an aftermarket part, and they tell me to start hunting the junk yards for. The integral questions seem to be that my car is NOT a station wagon and does have the 24 valve DOHC engine, and the door sticker date is 4/02, meaning it was made before some magic design change date in May of 2002.

I can't believe Ford made this as an entire assemble rather than brackets, bushings and bars that could be purchased, replaced or upgraded individually. I also can't believe that this configuration was so rare and reliable that they decided there is no market for a replacement part, nor has anyone else like MOOG.

I'm looking for any ideas about any other years or configurations that will work, or any aftermarket solutions anyone knows. I probably should have measured the bar thickness and posted that here too, but I'm not with the part right now. Maybe add that later. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Trader Score: 1 reviews
AFAIK there was no design change until halfway through the 2004 model year when they deleted the whole sway bar. May be wrong though.

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Bill, might pm member Bull Geek (Nick) if he doesn't respond to this thread.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
You'll love this.

The geniuses at blue oval welded the bracket to the bar, so your sway bar bushing is integrated. Helps on the assembly line, nice n fast. Doesn't help when it's time to remove/replace.

If you have a cut off wheel, you can slice off the stupid bracket, and reinstall with some new bushings. 99 and older tauruses/sables used separate brackets and bushings. I have some spare brackets for rear sway bars in my garage.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 AM

I have a 2004 SES without a rear sway bar. Another genius idea, like putting the front vent air intake box directly at the bottom of the windshield in the hot sun and then making it out of black plastic.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
I have a 2004 SES without a rear sway bar. Another genius idea, like putting the front vent air intake box directly at the bottom of the windshield in the hot sun and then making it out of black plastic.
Yup, halfway through 2004 model they discontinued the sway bar. Why, FoMoCo, why!! Couldn't have cost that much! Sheesh..

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Go get you a rear bar off an old SHO. (I got mine off an 89) Wire wheel and paint, replace bushings, and your car will feel like it's on rails compared to the stock configuration.

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 AM

I had a '98 that had a Duratec and both front and rear sway bars. I used it for my company vehicle. A distributor I had out of the Philly area had a brand new BMW 525i with all the hot stuff on it. I was taking him to dinner cruising down the highway deeply involved in a conversation when I realized I was way too late and way too fast for my exit. I took on the challenge anyway and pulled off the exit going way too fast, hugged the inside of the turn as I slowed down and that car didn't sway a bit. It hugged that curve as nicely as could be. My dealer friend looked at me with his eyes wide open and said..."I'm impressed!" As I said, he owned a BMW hot rod and if he was impressed, that was saying something.

The ride in this 2004 can't hold a candle to that 98.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Bob, was alcohol involved when you nearly missed your exit, lol?!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
Bob, was alcohol involved when you nearly missed your exit, lol?!
LOL! Not at that point. Maybe later...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page