Rusty Rear Strut Tower (new Thread) - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Trader Score: 0 reviews
QUOTE (michakaveli @ Mar 5 2010, 12:06 AM)
Quote:
Yeah... that'll buff right out [/b]
You gotta love John Candy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM

A knowledgable shop/welder could put some patch plates in there . If the rest of the car is good it would be worth it .

As I mentioned in another thread , oil spray type rustproofing is common here in Ontario and really does work . My youngest son had a 94 Taurus that had been done every year and the body was perfect , even the fuel and brake lines .

I'm surprised this has not become common if the rust belt areas of the USA .
Here is info on Oil Guard that has outlets in Canada...video here as well .

http://www.oilgard.ca/
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 AM

Holy ****! I just took the rears out of my 2002 and thought the little bit of rust was bad..so there is a spray to help this??

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Send a message via MSN to goodbrosuit
WOW.I can't even guess how many of these rear struts I've replaced in the Boston area. We get a **** ton of salt and I've never seen this...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reson8ts View Post
Holy ****! I just took the rears out of my 2002 and thought the little bit of rust was bad..so there is a spray to help this??
When I did the rear struts on my '96, I only had a little surface rust up inside the top of the strut pockets, but that is how damage like in the pics starts. I sealed it up with Krylon Rust Fix, which converts minor rust into a non-rusting, sealed by-product and halts the oxidation process. Appears to work quite well here in "Rustchester". Oil treatments would get flushed right out by the corrosive slush our DPW crews create out of snow and ice and tons of road salt every winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012

Last edited by danhasenauer; 07-27-2010 at 08:48 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 AM

I love Florida...

Pro Photographer - will work for TCCA gatherings.
Tail of the Dragon - October 22-24, 2010:
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Devoted Member

I love Upstate New York & 4 seasons & 2 hr. road trips to Canada & Canadian Beer & REAL Buffalo Wings & knowing how to drive in snowy weather & Ford Tauruses!
jobales likes this.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Devoted Member

I'm probably going to buy a new car come spring, got my eyes on the Mazda 3. I'll be more than happy to sell you my '07 in spring, that's been in Texas it's whole life, so no rust issues. I'm getting out of Taurus before major repairs come close, as I now have 107k nearly trouble free miles. It's hardly worth anything by now, at least with the Mazda 3, that will not be the case come trade in time. I will keep posting til I bid farewell when I'm ready to buy new. At least my bull has been very good to me, as I have to it.

Last edited by austex04; 07-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 1994
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.0L Yamaha V6

Send a message via MSN to mooby
welll ive been putting those treatement to my car since i got it and sorry im in quebec and we use salt like there is no tomorrow road are nice but hard on car

so .... it work my 94 gl is rust freee

done so far discoball hid rear and front mustang gt caliper disk brake setup,moog ball joint tie rod end front and rear sway bar 24 26mm with moog blue bushing strutbar bushing 16" mag and yokohama aviz trz plus new engine and tranny on 15 jan 2006 plus new eibach coil and 07 front seat sho cluster led

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 PM

I will say...that is bizarre corrosion...were the front towers corroded like that as well? Maybe it was a manufacturing defect where the galvinization did not coat shock towers.
As for oil preventing rust, of course it works, and it has been used for a very long time. That is probably the reason the internals of the engine do not rust even though they are exposed to moisture all the time. I applied some vegetable(or maybe almond) oil to the underside of 2000 sable over a year ago in places where there were slight amounts of rust, and the oilish residue is surprisingly still there, even after going through one winter. Plus one side that had a power steering leak for a long time looks brand new in the previously leaky area.

But seriously... That is a scary amount of corrosion... and it is not a simple weld job to repair...not much to weld anything to.
Plus, isn't it tricky to weld load bearing structures to galvinized sheet metal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page