2Likes
  • 1 Post By 01_Bull.Tom
  • 1 Post By Hornswaggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Double din radio

So I have the radio that integrates the ac controls and radio into one piece and I’d like to install a double din radio my buddy gifted me after he totaled his car (he got a brand new car and doesn’t want to go through the hassle of trying to upgrade an already good system). Is there a kit or any way I can use this radio any info pics or personal experience in doing this would be helpful.
lavarion.bolling likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

There are kits available and many threads here on the subject. Use the search box

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_Bull.Tom View Post
So I have the radio that integrates the ac controls and radio into one piece and I’d like to install a double din radio my buddy gifted me after he totaled his car (he got a brand new car and doesn’t want to go through the hassle of trying to upgrade an already good system). Is there a kit or any way I can use this radio any info pics or personal experience in doing this would be helpful.

Hey Tom, like Jag said there are a lot of kits available to do that. I got a Metra kit for my '03 but there are other brands out there. If you are doing a google or amazon search it looks like the key words are dash kit. I would say just to make sure the kit you get includes all the cables otherwise you'll have to buy those separately. You'll need to run the cables from the new radio back to the trunk to plug into the existing wiring harness. The amps for our radio's are in the trunk behind the liner on the drivers side. The new radio won't use the stock amp but that's where you still need to plug into the stock harness. If your car doesn't have the door tweeters that would also be a great upgrade, check out member Durasel on this board and he can hook you up with some.
lavarion.bolling likes this.

Kevin

Current stable
2004 Sable LS Prem DOHC
2003 Taurus SES Vulcan
2002 Taurus SES DOHC

Retired:
2001 Taurus SES DOHC
2000 Taurus SE Vulcan
1994 Sable GS
1988 Taurus LX

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
May search Metra and/or Scosche adapter kits.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswaggle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_Bull.Tom View Post

Hey Tom, like Jag said there are a lot of kits available to do that. I got a Metra kit for my '03 but there are other brands out there. If you are doing a google or amazon search it looks like the key words are dash kit. I would say just to make sure the kit you get includes all the cables otherwise you'll have to buy those separately. You'll need to run the cables from the new radio back to the trunk to plug into the existing wiring harness. The amps for our radio's are in the trunk behind the liner on the drivers side. The new radio won't use the stock amp but that's where you still need to plug into the stock harness. If your car doesn't have the door tweeters that would also be a great upgrade, check out member Durasel on this board and he can hook you up with some.
So I looked on the forums and searched google and amazon I haven’t found anything but either the single din with the integrated manual ac controls like I have currently and the metra with digital controls can I use the the metra with the digital controls. Correct me if I’m wrong but the controls on mine work on some kind of a vacuum I don’t see anywhere on the metra kit atleast in pictures that those vacuum lines would plug into
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 06:19 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus

Garage
Hi Tom
You might want to check out Crutchfield.com.
They sell the Metra kits with the wiring harness adapters.
It might make your life easier also!

Jay
1999 SE Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page