post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
2004 Sable Alarm issues

Hi to all,

I just recent bought a 2004 Mercury Sable which just turned over to 130K miles and in great condition visually. I have had one major head ache since my purchase and that is the whole alarm system going off by its self. Most of the time it's about 5pm but it can happen whenever. Seems like this is common for sables around this year. I have had the battery tested so not a battery or starter issue. I have had new batteries installed into the key fobs but no change. I've used WD-40 on the door latches and still no progress. Anyone have any suggestion or ideas on what I should do or try next?

Also not sure if it makes any difference but when I am in the car the "theft" light blinks even being unlocked and keys in the ignition. Seems a bit odd but I figured that could help some.

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 PM

Year: 2004

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I've had this issue with my '04 Sable for several yrs. It used to wait several hours after I locked the car and went inside the house (usually went off in the wee hours of the morning much to the chagrin of my neighbors). But now, it will usually sound the alarm about 15 mins after I lock the car and walk away. Done the same thing as you squirting WD40 into the door latches. Changed out the switch under the hood, too. Nothing has worked. Everything I've read implies it's a dirty door latch...so, I looked into changing door latches while tearing into one at the JY and it's no easy task. It's not like me to not fix something...but, this car has 256K miles on it, has been written off as salvage vehicle due to hail damage 5 yrs ago and is beginning to look it's age with rust showing along the rockers. I've just lived with it by not locking it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^+1. May check for a plunger switch underhood. If equipped, it's located underhood inside the lf fender about midway between the battery and firewall. Prior replacing it, may unplug for a few days to see if the alarm stops. If it turns out to be the culprit, you can then leave it disconnected or replace. Another place to check is the trunk latch switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page