Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Factory Alarm won't let car start

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  thesavo 
#1 · (Edited)
96 Sable with factory alarm. I am trying to start the car and the Theft light on the dash flashes and the car starts and then dies in about 3 seconds. I have had this happen a few times in the past 7 or 8 years and I solved it quickly by opening and closing all of the doors and it seems to reset it. Problem gone for years or months.

It is not working this time. I even tried to set it on and off with the KEY remote.

I am not sure what I can do at this point. Any thoughts? Thanks!

#3 ·
After reading a number of threads on a variety of sites for ideas I seemed to solve the problem.

As a service to others who may have a flashing THEFT light, this is what I did to reset the module and perhaps improve an electrical connections.

1. locate the PATS module on the 96 Sable. It is under the drivers side dash to the right of the steering column. See the picture, It is the white box with two connectors attached.
2. Remove both connectors
3. Wait about 2 minutes
4. reconnect them making sure they are securely inserted.
5. Start the Car

Happy motoring.

Attachments

#4 ·
Use a GOOD scan tool like Forscan and see what P, U, B, and C series codes are present.

#6 ·
Just pick up a ELM 327 for $20 on Amazon and download Forscan for free and you are good to go!

Without a check of ALL codes, you are just guessing at the problem.

Reactions: jobales
#7 ·
I totally get that!

I have a cable for my OBDwiz for Windows software. It is called OBDLink SX. It goes from the OBD port to a USB on my lap top.

Do I need the ELM 327 to use the Forscan software if I have this other cable?
Where do I DL the Forscan software?
Thanks!

Sorry for all the

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.