Adding glove box lighting and question on doors - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 1
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Adding glove box lighting and question on doors

*scroll down to post # 4 for updated question please*

I wanted to do more on the car, its going to be raining for a bit so inside stuff! LED Cluster and adding a glove box light. (investigating door options)
I just realized the other day its not mis wired and not a burnt out bulb, I just dont have a glove box light.

My question is, can I just add any pin switch with a bulb attachment? I figure itll need to be 12v and I could splice it into the cigarette lighter outlet wires, constant power is no issue since its only on when the box is open. I figure AutoZone or one of the 15 parts stores around here will have a pin switch with bulb socket.

The door question, were some models equipped with lights instead of just red reflectors on the bottom interior section of the doors? Mine does not have lights there, Id eventually like to add it there as well.

Thanks all for the help!
(replacing door latch as well, that should fix my no dome light with drivers door open issue. Atleast it should I cant find any wire issues outside of the door and that bundle in door hinge area is pristine ive got into it twice now. ive cleaned the latch atleast 50 times a few different ways)
*edit* I also just realized that boring green gauge cluster, is neon blue when I use my phone for a picture. Going to make the before and after pics look very similar =/

*edit edit*
Probably wont be able to check this before I start the project, will update with how it turns out provided I can find a pin switch at the store tomorrow morning! If its not pouring I hope to try the JY for the first time! If it is pouring, one of the 50 auto parts stores oughta have the switch I want! Shouldnt take more than 10 minutes to install, very excited about having a glove box light! Pain in the butt rooting around in the dark for stuff.

Last edited by japakar; 05-27-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 06:45 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
The glove box light is easy, just carve out the hole in the bracket, just remove one from a donor car and measure the size of the hole, cut out with a Dremel tool and install light assembly (it's all one unit), find a hot wire and splice. I did it on my '03. The bottom door courtesy lights are a little harder. First you must find a' 1996 (the only year they were installed), pull the door panel, carefully remove the units (they are plastic welded in) with the plugs and the wiring, there should be plugs inside your door panels to hook them up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I ordered a switch and some wire off of Amazon should be here Tuesday. Locally, no auto parts stores carried the switch I wanted. Pouring rain so didnt even try a JY. I checked 5 stores =/ They do sell a ton of switches, just not the pin switch I wanted!

On a good note, I did some more rooting around and noticed theres a light in the ashtray it seems the ashtray light is constantly on when car is on, so I am just removing the bulb from there, extending the wires to the switch and adding that bulb back to the wire set with the switch. (Ive only opened the ashtray 3 times since I got the car) Seems even easier, not creating any extra load or anything new, just moving it over a foot and a half.

Will update with photos once finished. Just waiting on the parts to arrive and yeah, the plan is to either put it where a rubber stopper is or more than likely, into the center so after years of use I dont have 1 side of the glove box poking out further than the other.

Thanks for input and info!
(The door lights Ill have to work on later! My last Taurus wagon (96 vulcan) did have the door lights so I thought mine did as well, they just didnt work or something! Will need to save some money for those)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Parts arrived, I got them all cut to size and ran into 2 more questions if anyone could help please. Then the install tomorrow morning

I found a connector, not sure if its the connector for a glove box light I dont have (so itd be perfect) of if its for the airbag or something? When the glove box is out/down its directly to the left, white connector. image below.

Also 2nd question which only matters if the connector in the picture is NOT for the glove box light, which would be better? Connect to the ashtray lamp that only seems to be on when the running lights or headlights are on or wire into a cigarette lighter outlet for all time power? Both ways seem like a good idea, one way I wouldnt have to worry about the battery draining on accident, the other I can only use at with headlights on.
(im leaning towards constant power if the connector below isnt for a glove box light, so anytime you open it, POW! light! I got 14AWG wire for this which is what I read cigarette lighter outlets are.)
Thanks so much for the help!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

If the leads are LG/O and BK that would be the connector for the switch/lamp assembly
http://revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=53069

Do the leads to that connector supply 12v+ and grnd? I would definitely go with a constant supply.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think the wires are one blue and one black, the same as the ashtray light I think but cant be 100% offhand. Ill check before I head out to get one of my kids and update when we get back in a few hours. Thanks

Ill have to get my tester and see if those wires are constant or not, im not very good with reading electronic charts or wiring diagrams. (or using any of my multimeter or current testers heh)

*edit*
thanks for the diagram, ill have to check the colors against that once I know what they are!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok the wires are blue with a white stripe on either side and the other wire is black. Either way, they did not have power with car being off so no constant power, cigarette lighter adapter lights do so for sure I will be using the cigarette lighter adapter. Will update with photos when done, thanks.

*edit*
That plug in the photo is annoying . From reading online I cant really figure it out, could be anything from speaker, amp, daytime running light sensor connector, abs. Some option my car didnt come with! (not glove box though, or it should of had power with car off id think, but I dont know how the stock glove box lights worked)

Last edited by japakar; 05-27-2016 at 10:56 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 05:27 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus

Garage
The plug might be for the additional 12 volt power plug that was an option, it went under the dash right near the ashtray. . My '97 had a plug similar to that.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 09:59 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
On my '98 Sable tec the glovebox light is mounted top center on the latch. Iirc, a green and a black wire.

Last edited by sheila; 05-28-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page