1Likes
  • 1 Post By AtlantaTodd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Info on PATS key programming.

OK, a little background:

I bought a 2000 Taurus SEL from a dealership last November, but it only had 1 key. Up until now I've just been living dangerously with the 1 key.

About a month ago I bought the BAFX ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter, just to have for check engine lights, and to use with the Torque app on my phone to show me the engine performance data. I got it for $23.99 w/free shipping on ebay.

Last week I was reading on this site about the FORScan software, so I thought "What the heck" and downloaded it. It paired effortlessly with the BAFX adapter, and I noticed the software said it could handle PATS key programming, so I went to ebay and got 2 blank PATS keys for $17.95 w/free shipping.

The keys arrived today, so I took them to my local hardware store and got them cut for $1 each.

As a safety precaution, I used FORScan to add the new keys in, without erasing all keys, just to make sure it could really do it. Both keys added with no problem. I noticed that even though I only had the 1 key to begin with, the software reported that 3 keys were stored in memory, so there were 2 keys out there "in the wild". After finishing, the software reported 5 keys stored in memory, so I felt pretty good about everything, and let the software erase all keys, then added my original plus the 2 new ones back in.

No issues at all, and now I've got 3 working keys, for a grand total of $43.94. Beats the heck out of what a dealer or locksmith would charge, plus I can use the OBD2 adapter just to display interesting engine data as I'm driving.
sheila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Yes, FORScan is a beast of software... Lots of insider information from that Russian or Ukrainian guy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:46 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable

I know this is an old thread, but very helpful as I'm going to be programming keys this week!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:17 PM

Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mikeluscher159 Send a message via Skype™ to mikeluscher159
So you used FORScan to erase all and relearn the keys you had?

Good to know that works, you've got some balls

I didn't want to be the guinea pig for that, and wind up having to get a tow to someone with an IDS should it not work

Good to know...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2006 Ford Taurus SE

Vulcan V6 with 48k
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:11 PM

Chapter: Eastern Canada
Year: 1
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvegas View Post
I know this is an old thread, but very helpful as I'm going to be programming keys this week!

One thing to note is that according to the programming instructions, you cant add keys with only 1 present in Forscan, you have to erase all keys and then add all keys you want back in. Not sure why OP was able to add 2 before erasing all but YMMV it seems.

I was going to do what he did but found out how cheap lock smiths are, total was 65 dollars, I brought all my own keys, they cut my 3 keys and programmed my single original key and 3 new keys in.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: mult
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I have to erase the keys to add a second with Auto Enginuity as well.

2006 Vulcan 64k GF daily driver
2003 Vulcan 92k My daily driver
2000 Vulcan 115k saved from the scrap yard
1991 3.8 207k drove to junk yard, 1988 Vulcan lost in divorce
2009 Impala 3.0 18k my nice car
1996 F250 Powerstroke my toy-pristine lots of mods
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:20 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable

Quote:
Originally Posted by japakar View Post
One thing to note is that according to the programming instructions, you cant add keys with only 1 present in Forscan, you have to erase all keys and then add all keys you want back in. Not sure why OP was able to add 2 before erasing all but YMMV it seems.

I was going to do what he did but found out how cheap lock smiths are, total was 65 dollars, I brought all my own keys, they cut my 3 keys and programmed my single original key and 3 new keys in.
Thank for the heads up, I will be doing mine this week. I have the advantage of working at a dealer so if I somehow mess it up one of the techs can bail me out.

I could just have one of them do it for me anyway, but where's the fun in that!

Having a great time playing around with Forscan...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 01:29 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by japakar View Post

The dealer can also be cheap too. I bought my own key and just had the dealer program the new key. They only charged me a 1/2 hour of labor although a few others mentioned that they wanted an hour. At the time that was only around $40. They were done in 15 minutes, took several more minutes just to get the paperwork and pay for it.

2001 Taurus SEL
24V DOHC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 PM

Garage
Great Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaTodd View Post
OK, a little background:

I bought a 2000 Taurus SEL from a dealership last November, but it only had 1 key. Up until now I've just been living dangerously with the 1 key.

About a month ago I bought the BAFX ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter, just to have for check engine lights, and to use with the Torque app on my phone to show me the engine performance data. I got it for $23.99 w/free shipping on ebay.

Last week I was reading on this site about the FORScan software, so I thought "What the heck" and downloaded it. It paired effortlessly with the BAFX adapter, and I noticed the software said it could handle PATS key programming, so I went to ebay and got 2 blank PATS keys for $17.95 w/free shipping.

The keys arrived today, so I took them to my local hardware store and got them cut for $1 each.

As a safety precaution, I used FORScan to add the new keys in, without erasing all keys, just to make sure it could really do it. Both keys added with no problem. I noticed that even though I only had the 1 key to begin with, the software reported that 3 keys were stored in memory, so there were 2 keys out there "in the wild". After finishing, the software reported 5 keys stored in memory, so I felt pretty good about everything, and let the software erase all keys, then added my original plus the 2 new ones back in.

No issues at all, and now I've got 3 working keys, for a grand total of $43.94. Beats the heck out of what a dealer or locksmith would charge, plus I can use the OBD2 adapter just to display interesting engine data as I'm driving.
I use the OBD2
plug-in dongles along with the Torque Pro App regularly. I leave them plugged in on all of Our Fords. At work, I am assigned to a E450 Cut-Away Chassis Cab Mobile Intensive Care Unit as a Critical Care Paramedic and I keep a dongle in My jump bag to plug in to the OBD port should the squad start acting weird. And My crew has the nerve to accuse Me of having OCD....pfft.

Last edited by jag1959; 03-29-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page