Need help installing autodim mirror - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 99
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jc_oo5
Need help installing autodim mirror

I have a gen 3 Taurus with lighted vanity mirrors. I want to install a Gentex 177 mirror out of a Mitsubishi truck with auto dim temp and compass. Later i went to a junkyard and found a mirror harness with vanity wiring from a 03 Taurus. The problem I have is the wiring harness is different in passenger side a pillar from a 99 to 03. What i want to do is swap the harness. The 03 harness has a odd red and black plug with 4 wires running out of it. The wire are light green/orange black/pink purple/black and black. My gen 3 has two plugs a larger one and a smaller one. the larger plug has 3 wires going out 5 wires coming in. The smaller plug has a light green/orange wire connecting it to the larger plug. The smaller plug also has two wires coming out of the top out of the same connection. Once i have the mirror installed my other problem is how to connect the temp sensor and what does it look like.

Also I have lighted vanity mirrors from a gen 3 sable i want to re install once wiring is in. The problem with that is the mirrors have a round connection in gen 3's with one black wire . The vanity mirror that goes to the gen 4 harness have a square connection with a black and a orange/green wire. How would i swap them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Devoted Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Check the wiring diagrams between each of the years involved to find common accessory connection routes?

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117-...-diagrams.html

Tyson
No matter where you go, the first person that you meet when you get there will be yourself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
May pm members durasel (Gerry) and/or Bull Geek (Nick).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 12:24 PM

Year: 2003
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I did this on my car - very easy if you know a little wiring. After looking through countless pinouts, I cant remember it now I found the actual "electrocromatic mirror" circuit! I connected the power from the mirror to that.

I used a gentex mirror off a 96 Suburban that also had the temperature option. I was able to rip the entire harness out of the suburban, run it along the headliner, down the a-pillar and near the fuse box. The temperature sensor wire got run through a grommet, inside the fender and up infront of the radiator using the oem mounting holes. Works great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page