Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
AUDIO UPGRADES: READ FIRST!!

Car Stereo Installation/Upgrade Primer

^
That link is a wealth of knowledge. It's a LONG read, but if you want to get the job done CORRECTLY the FIRST time, I recommend reading it.

Note that the main web site is at Basic Car Audio Electronics. There is a wealth of other knowledge there.

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Last edited by Sam; 05-08-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews

Big thumbs up from me. Totally worth reading if you want a safe, reliable system that doesn't mess with your electrical system.

That site has a ton of other great articles, so be sure to click on the arrow at the top to get the directory frame on the right. If you have trouble understanding something I said about electricity you might want to check out that site.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:01 AM
fct
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

bcae is a very good website. It also seems to be constantly updated. I saw skimming over two years ago, but now it has many new things added.

Note that the main web site is at Basic Car Audio Electronics. The frame on the right hand side has many good links. It has many articles, from basic things like Ohm's law to how to set gains with DMM or how crossovers work. Pretty good stuff.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Devoted Member

Lots of good info on that site.... but some of its incorrect especially in the "Misinformation & Ignorance‡" section

1. clipping - his wordage a little bit off but the concept is correct. Distortion and clipping are not the same thing.

2. head unit amp - I don't know what kind of crazy glue this guys was sniffing but thats totally false as well.

3. head units pre-output voltage - The higher the voltage the cleaner the signal at lower volumes. meaning you don't have to "max out" the volume to get full power. Which "maxing out" isn't a good idea in the first place.

4. Distortion - Distortion isn't a myth. Some head units do distort. some at lower volumes than others. then again some produce clean distortion free signals at max volume. check into this SMD Distortion Detector DD-1 tool.... New tech , hop on the bus.

and thats just a few...... i got tired of typing after that lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my Garage <--- Custom 2005 Taurus Se
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Yep, distortion does happen. The song I use to test any audio system will distort, it's just a matter of at what volume.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
If something is incorrect, go ahead and email him. He is open to any modifications if they are needed!

Where did he say distortion is a Myth? That makes 0 sense. It's no myth at all. Distortion destroys speakers.

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in