post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Wagon MACH RCU Installation

Hey guys I swapped out the stock RCU with a mach unit in my wagon. The mach rcu was from a sedan and the mounting bracket is different than the wagon so here's what I did to make the stock wagon bracket work with the Mach RCU..... Now mind you this is on my 2001 Sable Wagon

Wagon rcu location: It's behind the spare tire. Take the spare tire cover off, remove the jack and spare. Then remove the sound deadening and it will be mounted behind the metal.

There are 2 bolts and one nut to remove it. Marked in red are 7mm and the purple is 10mm

Now that it's out......... side by side. Left = stock, right = MACH. There was about a 3lb difference between the them. MACH being the heavier

Here you can see the difference in the mounting brackets (stock wagon left, mach sedan right)

Here you see the mach mounting bracket up close. You need to remove the 4 torx screws in the corners then pry up slightly because there is 2 sided tape that is attached to the rcu. It's a T20 torx bit.

What it looks like after it's removed

Now onto the stock one.

Remove the 4 Torx screws on the top of the mounting bracket holding the stock rcu to the mounting bracket. They are T10

Now that they are seperated, this tab on the stock mounting bracket will have to be bent down so it's straight and even with the rest of the bracket

I just took a pair of pliers and bent it down like this...............

Now that is done, put the sedan bracket over the top of the wagon bracket and mark your holes. These holes you will need to drill out with a 3/16" bit to screw it onto the mach rcu.

Here you can see the 4 mounting holes in the corners

Make sure it goes in the right direction which is the bolt on the right bottom of the mounting plate and the electrical connectors at the bottom...

Now that you are done with the mounting, time to put it in and enjoy some tunes. This is how the connectors go, which is different than the stock rcu. I found it easier to connect them, then wiggle it back into place.

Back in

There's some Mach goodness sitting behind there....

Now put everything back together and crank up the tunes! I hope it helps you wagon guys out there looking to do this upgrade and bought a RCU out of a sedan. Total time was about 25 minutes from taking off the spare cover to putting it back on. Degree of difficulty, 1-2

Now I just have to put the tweeters in to complete the package, but I will need more time to do that as I need to grease up the drivers window, and do the door panel fix while I have it open.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Last edited by sousa632; 02-15-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder

Chapter: Southeast

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Good write up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Nice job, John!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Thanks! I'm loving the sound of this setup especially now that I put the tweeters in today. SOOO much nicer than stock and here I thought that the stock sound was pretty good......

John
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Do I need to disconnect the negative battery cable before swapping the RCU? I know it's usually a good idea to do that before doing any electronic work, but is it necessary in this case?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM

My 2003 wagon came with the optional Mach unit sound system.
Darn good sound.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscain View Post
Do I need to disconnect the negative battery cable before swapping the RCU? I know it's usually a good idea to do that before doing any electronic work, but is it necessary in this case?
Nope. Not necessary. If it concerns you, you can always disconnect the plugs going to the RCU before taking it out.

John

Last edited by sousa632; 06-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscain View Post
I didn't when I did my swap and had no problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Installed mine this AM. All I can say is...WOW! What a difference, even with stock speakers and no tweeters! Great upgrade, for not a lot of $$$. Thanks for the write up! And thanks, Breeves002, for the great deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page