Radio Works But No Sound. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I've tried using the search but haven't found the right answer yet. Ok so basically went I try to turn on my radio everything turns on and works including AM/FM/CD changer and clock, but there is no sound. My speakers just aren't playing and I know they aren't blown, I'm confused, last time my radio stopped working nothing worked not even the display. All I had to do to fix that was change a fuse but none of them are blown this time. I can even change the volume, change stations, and change songs on CD but there is no sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast

In the back of the car, in the trunk, is the RCU. Check to make sure all the connections there are made, especially the ones controlling the speakers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

yes i checked but everything seems to be connected fine. Is there a fuse that goes to the rcu specifically?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I went out since the weather was nice again, and decided to check every fuse in the car I could find. All the fuses were fine, none what so ever were blown. Now I'm getting pissed. I have no idea what's wrong with this thing. Is it the infamous ford wiring, and something shorted out. I really don't want to take this to the stealership and get ripped off with some ridiculous expense for replacing something cheap. Could it be my Rcu. I don't know why it would have just randomly stopped working and seeing as everything works except I guess signal to the speakers, I figure it's not the Rcu. The only conclusion I can think of is the wiring somewhere shorted out. And other ideas, I mean anything I need my radio, this whole no music thing is killing me.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Just for giggles, you could trying just hooking up another speaker and see if it comes on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I actually just tried that, and unfortunately it didn't work. This is getting ridiculous. And I just finished up sealing my sub boxes and spraying them with sound deadening, then stuffin it with some polyfil. Now I can't even hear what the difference is until I figure out what's wrong with my damn radio.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Does anyone know how much an RCU goes for at a junkyard? You could always go for a junkyard RCU. I'm sure most, if not all of them, are still good (unless they've already been picked or the car was rear ended badly or something).

Currently driving a 2009 Focus SE Sedan w/5-Speed!

Previous cars:
1997 Geo Prizm
1996 Ford Taurus G

Formerly "Mr. X"
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Just because the display works does not mean the radio is working. You could have a blown capacitor. Common problem on car radios. Pop your radio out and send it here
http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

They fix it in 24 hrs and send it back. Ususally around $100 or so for the fix.

Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1989 SHO MTX White/Gray Leather
1992 Ex-Police Unit White/Gray Cloth
1993 MTX White/Blk Leather All Stock!
1995 Taurus GL Wagon Deep Emerald Green/Mocha
The World\'s Largest SHO Library Over 100\'
of Ford Manuals & Related Factory Literature
Pertaining to the 1989-1999 Taurus SHO
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I just sent them an email about my issue with the radio. If they say they can fix it, then I'll send it to them. Unless of course I am the highest bidder on this replacement radio on Ebay, if I win it then I'll try switching out the radios first to see if that works, it that doesn't work then I'll fiberglass the replacement so I can install my alpine deck into the dash since I like it a lot more than this stock radio.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to Racer X
Ok, it looks like some clarification is needed here.

Your radio has two components to it. The head, located in the dashboard, and the RCU, located in the trunk on the driver's side, IIRC. The head contains all of the controls, and the tape deck or CD Player. The RCU contains the amplifier and the tuner.

Given your failure mode, there is a high likelihood that the issue lies with your RCU. They're relatively inexpensive at junk yards and on eBay. I'd start there before anything. Failing that, there's a smaller chance that you have a bad MLPS. If jiggling the gear selector, or changing between ranges allows the radio to work, then this could be the issue as well. I'm hesitant to say it's that however, as a MLPS failure is also accompanied by strange transmission and sometimes steering behaviors.

Fin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in