Radio Works But No Sound. - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cliff
I would suggest replacing the RCU.

2010 Chevy Cobalt 2LT coupe (victory red)
2002 Silver frost SEL sedan 3.0L 24v DOHC Tec (will be missed)
2004 Arizona Beige SES sedan Duratec (dad's car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

That's the plan as soon as I can get my money from work for the GB for the Tec UDP since we had some payroll issues so we swithed payroll companies.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Well still no luck finding a Mach Rcu yet, but I did go ahead and install my components (6.5" Alpine Type-X Ref's) in the front doors, and I'm working on fiberglassing the rear deck for a lil better look and sound, and of course I'll be putting in some Alpine 6x9's

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Ok, it looks like some clarification is needed here.

Your radio has two components to it. The head, located in the dashboard, and the RCU, located in the trunk on the driver's side, IIRC. The head contains all of the controls, and the tape deck or CD Player. The RCU contains the amplifier and the tuner.

Given your failure mode, there is a high likelihood that the issue lies with your RCU. They're relatively inexpensive at junk yards and on eBay. I'd start there before anything. Failing that, there's a smaller chance that you have a bad MLPS. If jiggling the gear selector, or changing between ranges allows the radio to work, then this could be the issue as well. I'm hesitant to say it's that however, as a MLPS failure is also accompanied by strange transmission and sometimes steering behaviors.
[/b]
My girlfriends 97 Sable wagon has this exact problem.

What is the MLPS?

How does it affect the speaker output for the radio?

I no longer own a Sable in favor of a Explorer V8 AWD. It's not my fault, I blame my steep driveway while livin' in snow country.

1991 Mercury Sable LS I don't know what to do with it!!?? SOLD.

1996 Mercury Sable LS wagon, tan interior...YUCK! I sold it!

1997 Mercury Sable LS wagon, Moonlight Blue metallic, moonroof...much better! I sold it to get a winter driver.

2003 Cadillac Seville STS. I wish it was a Ford. It does kinda feel like I'm driving a Taurus, they do have basic simularities. (summer driver)

2001 Ford Explorer Limited V8 AWD. (winter driver)
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Is the MPLS the same as the Neutral Saftey Switch?

I no longer own a Sable in favor of a Explorer V8 AWD. It's not my fault, I blame my steep driveway while livin' in snow country.

1991 Mercury Sable LS I don't know what to do with it!!?? SOLD.

1996 Mercury Sable LS wagon, tan interior...YUCK! I sold it!

1997 Mercury Sable LS wagon, Moonlight Blue metallic, moonroof...much better! I sold it to get a winter driver.

2003 Cadillac Seville STS. I wish it was a Ford. It does kinda feel like I'm driving a Taurus, they do have basic simularities. (summer driver)

2001 Ford Explorer Limited V8 AWD. (winter driver)
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
Ok, it looks like some clarification is needed here.

Your radio has two components to it. The head, located in the dashboard, and the RCU, located in the trunk on the driver's side, IIRC. The head contains all of the controls, and the tape deck or CD Player. The RCU contains the amplifier and the tuner.

Given your failure mode, there is a high likelihood that the issue lies with your RCU. They're relatively inexpensive at junk yards and on eBay. I'd start there before anything. Failing that, there's a smaller chance that you have a bad MLPS. If jiggling the gear selector, or changing between ranges allows the radio to work, then this could be the issue as well. I'm hesitant to say it's that however, as a MLPS failure is also accompanied by strange transmission and sometimes steering behaviors.
[/b]
My girlfriends 97 Sable wagon has this exact problem.

What is the MLPS?

How does it affect the speaker output for the radio?
[/b][/quote]

It didn't affect it at all. my dad brought home a company vehicle the other night while his truck was bein worked on and the car just so happened to be a 2002 taurus so when I came home I switched the RCU's to check if that was the problem and it was, the radio worked perfectly. But since it was a company vehicle I put the RCU back in the taurus. Now I can't seem to fine a mach RCU in any junk yards around here. Does any one have one they could part with?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to taurusguy101
if you wanted a regualr RCU i have my old one

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks but no thanks I already have a regular one and that's why I'm looking for a mach RCU like I use to have b/c these things don't even compare to each other.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:51 AM

Chapter: Northeast

I'm having the same problem. Except i bought a dash kit and installed it with my alpine Head unit. I did all the wiring that the dash kit told me to do but when i plug in the speaker wiring harness into the harness that is plugged into the RCU no sound comes out of the speakers. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on or how to fix it.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:46 PM

I drive a 2013 Ford Taurus SEL 3.5L V6.

I recently ran into an issue where I got into my Taurus and started it....and my radio was not working.

It showed that I was connected to a channel (103.5 here in pittsburgh) but I could not get any sound.

I also tried using my Bluetooth Device but I still had no sound.

After reading a plethora of forums here online, many pointed to a new ACM.

Though through troubleshooting a few things on my own - I seem to have fixed the issue.

1) I made sure my SYNC system was updated to the latest release (didn't fix)

2) I tried adjusting Sound settings (didn't fix)

3) I tried turning the car off an on multiple times. This did not fix the issue either.

I was able to fix the issue however by using a longshot tactic that I learned in electronics and my Network Communication classes.

While sitting in my car, I locked it fully (using my key-fob) until I heard the 'beep'. Then, I unlocked the car with my fob and started my car normally (push to start in this case) and my sound magically started working.
I have also found (because this happened more than once) that using my Remote Start also fixed the issue. Though this could point to needing a new ACM in the future, it seems to work successfully for me right now.

There are many other tactics to remedying this issue. You can remove the battery for multiple hours to make sure it is completely drained and then try to reapply, you can attempt to reset a fuse (remove and reinsert) but it is recommended that these only be done if you are aware and familiar with what you are doing. If you are untrained, or are unsure of exactly what you are doing, it is always best to contact a Ford Support Team member before delving into deeper issues than you may already have.

I hope this post may be able to help somebody out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page